INTRUDER IN MY SHED TONITE

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: INTRUDER IN MY SHED TONITE

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Neighbor said that their dog scared the intruder away.....if I heard that I would check the place out myself w/o calling LE...

Other wise TR is correct (as always) I would of called 911.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

steves 50de wrote:I will try and keep this short as possible the lady next door knock's on my door and said people were in your shed and her dog scared them away. So i go back there to close the door up and see if anything is missing, nothing appear's to be missing and no one was in the shed.

As i start to walk around to the back of the shed a man jumped out from behind the shed at a range of 3 or 4 feet i back up a few step's and have him at gun point and advice him to don't even think about moving, i get the light on his face and see he is about 15 or 16 year's old.

He was so scared he could hardly talk but told me i would never see him again in my back yard. He asked to please don't call the police he was very sorry. I advised him to tell his friend's they are not welcome either and stay off the property I decided to let him go and not call the police. It's ok to flame me as i'am sure some will think i handled it improperly and I 'll take my lump's now for the non call to the police,... i think i let the kid go because he looked like chuck. :lol:
This Chuck?? http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... xQcWqQuXko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Neighbor said that their dog scared the intruder away.....if I heard that I would check the place out myself w/o calling LE...

Other wise TR is correct (as always) I would of called 911.
As you said carmen i went back their not expecting someone was hanging around back there after the dog chased them off. i also wanted to get the door closed because of the high wind's last nite.
Black Rifles Matter
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

BEAR! wrote:
steves 50de wrote:I will try and keep this short as possible the lady next door knock's on my door and said people were in your shed and her dog scared them away. So i go back there to close the door up and see if anything is missing, nothing appear's to be missing and no one was in the shed.

As i start to walk around to the back of the shed a man jumped out from behind the shed at a range of 3 or 4 feet i back up a few step's and have him at gun point and advice him to don't even think about moving, i get the light on his face and see he is about 15 or 16 year's old.

He was so scared he could hardly talk but told me i would never see him again in my back yard. He asked to please don't call the police he was very sorry. I advised him to tell his friend's they are not welcome either and stay off the property I decided to let him go and not call the police. It's ok to flame me as i'am sure some will think i handled it improperly and I 'll take my lump's now for the non call to the police,... i think i let the kid go because he looked like chuck. :lol:
This Chuck?? http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... xQcWqQuXko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EXACTLY...... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

steves 50de wrote:Post razor the kid could be his twin.
Okay, I'm glad we cleared that up.

Cause I just saw Chuck at Fun 'n Gun and you KNOW the headline:
Chuck don't even look like Chuck. :shock:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

pirateguy191 wrote:Little dude would have been pretty muddy if he was in my yard.
After staring down the business end of a Glock 21 that he didn't expect to see coming, there's a good chance that his shorts were muddy.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
EE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by EE »

You said you closed the shed door, but said nothing about a lock. Was the shed locked? My shed has a built in lock. I modified the locking bar to make it sturdier. I am sure that someone could still break in; it would just make it a little more difficult. I have a pair of motion-activated floodlights opposite the shed which would light up the intruder. The light might make someone think twice about breaking in.

I am glad you have an observant and helpful neighbor and that you caught the guy without anyone being hurt. I don't know if I would have let him go. He is probably not part of a ring, but we have had a rash of burglaries in Kettering near my neighborhood (Beavercreek).
Member: OFCC, NRA (lifetime), USCCA, JPFO
"The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20."
- Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

EE wrote: I don't know if I would have let him go. He is probably not part of a ring, but we have had a rash of burglaries in Kettering near my neighborhood (Beavercreek).
IANAL but if he did not commit a felony and you detain him, it might not work out so well for you. Things aren't like they used to be when us boomers were growing up.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Criticism: Probably should have called the cops.

Praise: All things considered, you and your neighbor did well.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
color of law
*** Banned ***

Post by color of law »

If the kid cleans-up his act then you did the right thing. If the kid starts breaking in all the neighbors houses then you did the wrong thing.

If you told the kid to take the shovel from the shed and start digging a hole and he asks why, you tell him he is digging his own grave.
I think that would set him straight.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

color of law wrote:If the kid cleans-up his act then you did the right thing. If the kid starts breaking in all the neighbors houses then you did the wrong thing.

If you told the kid to take the shovel from the shed and start digging a hole and he asks why, you tell him he is digging his own grave.
I think that would set him straight.
Staring at a glock 21 at point blank range was imo enough.
Black Rifles Matter
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

On more than one occasion, I've heard yutes bragging about the "suckers" that let them go. Last time was about two weeks ago in the food court at Parmatown mall. A table full (5) of young (mid-teen) fine upstanding young thugs-in-training was exchanging accounts of how they had, at various times, been caught in their misdeeds. They guffawed at the excuses they used to get the "suckers" to let them go. Yet another reason I don't practice catch and release. If they're old enough to make bad decisions, they're old enough to start accumulating a paper trail and the accountability that comes with those decisions.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
BobK

Post by BobK »

CroManGun wrote:On more than one occasion, I've heard yutes bragging about the "suckers" that let them go. Last time was about two weeks ago in the food court at Parmatown mall. A table full (5) of young (mid-teen) fine upstanding young thugs-in-training was exchanging accounts of how they had, at various times, been caught in their misdeeds. They guffawed at the excuses they used to get the "suckers" to let them go. Yet another reason I don't practice catch and release. If they're old enough to make bad decisions, they're old enough to start accumulating a paper trail and the accountability that comes with those decisions.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I agree
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Dvorak

Post by Dvorak »

I'm not second guessing you, no one got hurt and that is priority #1, period. With a gun in the equation, letting him go might have been the only good option. My guns are to protect me, not play catch the petty criminal.

But even if I didn't notice anything missing from my shed, I'd feel bad if I was talking to a neighbor the next day and found out there was a bunch of stuff missing from his shed and I could have done something to bring the thieves to justice.

I'm calling the police if I ever need to point my gun at someone. I'm the victim, and I'm not going to have the police show up because some punk called them saying, "I was just walking along and Mr. Jones pointed a gun at me and chased me off!"
--Dave--
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Local CHL holder found a bunch of teens on his property, and held them at gun point. He called the county sheriff. They claimed to be “star gazing.” He claimed they were high, trespassing, and had damaged his property. The teens went home to their parents - the CHL holder was arrested and went to jail for threatening the kids with a gun. Big mess, and expensive, too, for the CHL holder.

That’s why I said I’d call the cops. They’re the professionals, and they’re paid to deal with these issues.