First Notification. Findlay PD A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BobK

Re: First Notification. Findlay PD A+

Post by BobK »

I think it is helpful to view it as two separate events.
glocksmith wrote:Regardless of the technical terminology....did the LEO in this particular case have a justifiable reason for stopping the OP? He approached the OP, lit up flashers,
This was a stop. Possibly justified, possibly not. The stop could have stopped here.
glocksmith wrote:asked the OP to produce ID...and presumably the OP was not free to go, or in any position to challenge the officers request to produce ID.
As soon as the OP said he had a loaded handgun, at that moment the officer had the statutory right to demand ID and the CHL.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: First Notification. Findlay PD A+

Post by JustJack »

Wow...guess I forgot about this. Sorry for the delay. Lets see if I can clear some of this up.

1. I was in my car, not physically running.
2. I was in park, in the driveway/drop off area of a church.
3. It was 1:30 A.M.
4. I did not notice the 2nd cruiser had pulled in until I was leaving, since he pulled in dark (no lights, not even headlights).
5. It is my presumption that due to the late hour, the officer who pulled in and lit me up was under the presumption that I was up to no good. At one point he asked if I had exited my vehicle at any time while I was there. Presumably this was in the hope that I would say yes so he could trump up a BS trespassing charge (private property during closed/non-public hours) if he felt I was not reasonably cooperative with him.
6. As I was operating a motor vehicle I did not resist when he requested ID, as such as one is required to provide ID if requested during a traffic stop.
7. AFAIK it is NOT illegal to sit in a parking lot, unless said lot is posted no trespassing. This one was not.
8. I had pulled in for 2 reasons. 1) I don't 'play' while driving 2) the 'portal' was the church itself, and I could not reach it from the roadway anyway.
9. I have had a similar run in with the Campus Private Security at the University of Findlay, who advised me that unless I was a student, staff, or faculty I could not be on campus 'playing a game' as it is private property. As it is a Private University, not a State University, I respect this opinion, and have not returned to campus since.

Any other questions I failed to answer, I will try to remember to check this daily. Thanks for the interest.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim