LEO response to MWAG call

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techguy85

LEO response to MWAG call

Post by techguy85 »

I know this will touch off a lot of questions, and probably some lively debate, but I'm looking for some perspective for those of you who have done this for a while or any LEOs on the board that want to chime in.
Is it a standard and acceptable response for an officer to detain someone at gunpoint, ordering them to their knees, etc because they were seen arming themselves in a parking lot? Is it out of line to expect that an officer might take a moment to assess the person in question and note that they are not behaving in a criminal way and thus make their approach a little less aggressive? Or am I being unreasonable. (This is a serious question.)
I'm not ready to talk about this incident in detail yet, until I finish working out specifics with my attorney, but what do you folks think?
Before anyone writes me off as a cop hater, I want to say that I have a lot of respect for the job that they do. I understand that it is dangerous and that they want to be safe and protect the public. I also understand that their job often brings them into contact with criminals who may at first appear to be normal every-day folks, thus they must be suspicious of everyone, until they have more information. So I'm not putting this out here to start a cop bash.
BobK

Re: LEO response to MWAG call

Post by BobK »

Sounds unpleasant. Go get 'em, tiger.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

I'm not sure I can comment on all your questions, but you brought up a situation that I have feared. I prefer to change (arm/disarm) in the added privacy of the inside of a vehicle just to make sure to help avoid situations like this. We shouldn't have to, but.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Absent additional facts and circumstances, I would opine that such a response is neither standard nor acceptable.

To the extent that you can, do keep us apprised on your situation.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

While I can give almost direct hand knowledge, I won't as the scenario has about ten different responses. Was it self-initiated or based off a police dispatch? If off a police dispatch, what other information were they given for the dispatch? Was the translation between the caller to the dispatcher and the dispatcher to the officer(s) error free? What exactly is the parking lot?

With the vague info, one shall unfortunately get a vague response at this time. (and that just has to do with the subject matter at hand.)
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I agree with sodbuster95.

Waiting patiently for more info.

Good luck my friend.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I do hope to be able to share more information soon. Public records requests will be going out tomorrow. I was just wanting some general opinions on if I was off base being a bit upset over how it went down.
ParaC7

Post by ParaC7 »

Being as I have first hand experience with this type if thing, I will also refrain from response until further info is given.
Gun Control means using both hands and hitting your target.

You want my guns Hillary???? SURE you can have them..................Bullets First!!!

Charlton Heston always was and always will be MY President!!!!
lairdstew

Post by lairdstew »

I will say that I can see the officer's point of view, they don't know you or why you have a gun. With that being said, I certainly would be upset being treated like an armed criminal. This reminds me of an anecdote I read in a Bill Jordan book: Bill was talking about holster design and he was saying that officers should carry their revolver's with the retaining strap snapped to the back when they are in their cars on duty. The idea was that when you make a stop and are approaching the vehicle you would not then have to unsnap the strap which the citizen could view as a menacing act. Bill did not want the officer's supervisor to receive an angry phone call later. When did the change go from the officer worrying about upsetting the citizen to needing to treat everyone like a violent felon?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

lairdstew wrote:When did the change go from the officer worrying about upsetting the citizen to needing to treat everyone like a violent felon?
Not to sway too far off topic but around the same time we went from a community oriented policing model to a war on everything model. I think some we are slowly going back to COP but unfortunately most of the times it's being done through the legislative process. Does someone have two marijuana seeds in their car really make them a bad person? So did overnight all of the people in Colorado magically become good people since it's now legal? The same can be said about gun rights and gun calls. If we remove officer notification, because we don't want to notify, do we go from evil to good overnight? It's funny that officer discretion exists quite a bit, yet in some areas, some departments, some officers, don't know what that discretion is and feel if they get a call the person must be treated badly if there's a possible crime.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I can't imagine a cop going all aggressive on you, and I hope it wasn't in front of your girlfriend
Posting so I can follow it
Good luck & stay safe, my friend
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

It happened Chuck... And no, thankfully not in front of her.
Rocky
*** Banned ***

Post by Rocky »

Chuck wrote:I can't imagine a cop going all aggressive on you, and I hope it wasn't in front of your girlfriend
Posting so I can follow it
Good luck & stay safe, my friend
You need to check out YouTube and the videos they have. Plenty of aggressive cops dis-arming citizens who carry legally!!!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

techguy85 wrote:I do hope to be able to share more information soon. Public records requests will be going out tomorrow.
Might want to consider a video recording request too. Nowdays, most parking lots have cameras, so there may be coverage of the incident.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
lairdstew wrote:When did the change go from the officer worrying about upsetting the citizen to needing to treat everyone like a violent felon?
Not to sway too far off topic but around the same time we went from a community oriented policing model to a war on everything model. I think some we are slowly going back to COP but unfortunately most of the times it's being done through the legislative process. Does someone have two marijuana seeds in their car really make them a bad person? So did overnight all of the people in Colorado magically become good people since it's now legal? The same can be said about gun rights and gun calls. If we remove officer notification, because we don't want to notify, do we go from evil to good overnight? It's funny that officer discretion exists quite a bit, yet in some areas, some departments, some officers, don't know what that discretion is and feel if they get a call the person must be treated badly if there's a possible crime.
Just my warped view of the world, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the majority of new hires in police departments are fresh out of the military. A lot of them just don't grasp the idea that being an LEO, one is a public servant - and dealing with citizens, not insurgents in a war zone.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!