LEO response to MWAG call

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glocksmith

Re: LEO response to MWAG call

Post by glocksmith »

meant to say 21-35 :oops:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

techguy85 wrote:
Chuck wrote:IMO you should now make inquiries from the department about policies and training involving interactions with CHL holders and conditions under which a felony stop is appropriate.
Everybody who knows this cop seems to think he's ok, so I'm not judging him negatively. But let's teach him how to do things a little bit safer, and perhaps avoid another such unfortunate set of circumstances.

You've reflected on what things you could have done differently, his department should too
Open the conversation, don't let it peter out now,,,,
The department has no written policy on interactions with armed citizens except for the bevercreek item posted above. And that was issued as an update/informational item to their officers.
Outside of that, the chief doesn't seem very interested in taking any action.
I've made my feedback and concerns known in writing...
Well then, in that case. you ought to make that "writing" in the form of a formal complaint
I know you don't want to, but unless you do, he is vindicated for drawing down on a citizen without RAS and he WILL do it again
I can overlook the first time, or forgive it, as long as it gets addressed and corrected
I can't tolerate it happening over and over for the rest of his career
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And if you don't make it a complaint, some other citizen may be inclined to legally open carry in that same spot, at around the same time of day and week, causing yet another potentially deadly interaction with potentially the same officer.

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

Storm the Bastille :) J/K
Come and get'em
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

After giving this a lot of thought, I've decided that it is not in my interest to go any further with it.
If I were to file a formal complaint, I would want to do so with a lawyer present.
Recent issues with someone filing a complaint against my family in civil court over my dead father's house have done away with what little money was available for legal stuff.
I felt those of you following this deserved to know my decision.
MWSY, this is a free country of course, but your thoughts of taking actions like openly carrying a long gun in an attempt to provoke a reaction seem ill advised on multiple fronts. First, this shopping center is private property, and we have seen what happens when people push the envelope with private businesses. Second, I am afraid you very well might get shot, and I of course do not want to see that happen.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Should he have drawn his gun on you?
Why or why not?
What crime did he reasonably suspect you of?

These are simple questions that the officer ought to address.

As it is right now, and as it is going to be in the future, that cop can point his gun at ANY law abiding gun carrier without ever having to show RAS of a crime.
It's your decision, I understand, but I surely don't like it,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Hey Chuck...How about finding a lawyer that works for nothing ? :wink:

I understand he does not want to follow threw with this......that's his choice.....me, I would be filing complaints all over the place...AG for one....

What good honest lawyer wouldn't take this case for a piece of the settlement ? If it happened the way it was explained here...

I do charitable work at a cost to me all the time...

Oh well, guess I am living in la la land... :(
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Chuck wrote:Should he have drawn his gun on you?
Why or why not?
What crime did he reasonably suspect you of?
Hard to say. I think it was a bit of an overreaction, but as I've said above, it is impossible for me to say for certain that I didn't touch my pockets like he described in his report. I do remember taking my hands away from my body when he got out of his car and started towards us, but what happened directly before that with my hands, I don't remember clearly. If the report of me loading a handgun + touching my pockets = RAS of a crime, then maybe it could be argued his actions weren't unreasonable. I can say for certain that I wasn't surprised or nervous to see him there, but that could just have been a misunderstanding. I did check the area when I saw the cruiser to make sure we weren't walking into the middle of anything serious so maybe that's why he said I looked nervous.
Chuck wrote: These are simple questions that the officer ought to address.

As it is right now, and as it is going to be in the future, that cop can point his gun at ANY law abiding gun carrier without ever having to show RAS of a crime.
It's your decision, I understand, but I surely don't like it,,,,
I get it, and if circumstances were different, I may have come to a different conclusion. But since I honestly feel that I at least played a part in this situation, and can't honestly dispute his report fully, and people I trust tell me he is an honest guy, it is tough for me to run full out against him. That and not having the money to deal with the situation anyway is driving this decision. I understand your disappointment and all...

Anyway, I thought it important that I not leave this hanging as to what the status was.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

techguy85 wrote:I get it, and if circumstances were different, I may have come to a different conclusion. But since I honestly feel that I at least played a part in this situation, and can't honestly dispute his report fully, and people I trust tell me he is an honest guy, it is tough for me to run full out against him. That and not having the money to deal with the situation anyway is driving this decision. I understand your disappointment and all...

Anyway, I thought it important that I not leave this hanging as to what the status was.
Welcome to my world, where the crystal clarity of heartfelt beliefs and ideologically driven goals are mired in the mud of uncertainty, misunderstanding and difference of opinion.

If it's any consolation, I have to explain those same factors to police officers almost every day, and they don't like it any better than folks here do. Most people view life through their own filters, and they cannot imagine how anyone could see it any differently.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

In addition to saying, “It depends,” my lawyer friend also says, “So what?” I think this matter has been pursued as far as it can go, without spending time and money.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Werz wrote:
techguy85 wrote:I get it, and if circumstances were different, I may have come to a different conclusion. But since I honestly feel that I at least played a part in this situation, and can't honestly dispute his report fully, and people I trust tell me he is an honest guy, it is tough for me to run full out against him. That and not having the money to deal with the situation anyway is driving this decision. I understand your disappointment and all...

Welcome to my world, where the crystal clarity of heartfelt beliefs and ideologically driven goals are mired in the mud of uncertainty, misunderstanding and difference of opinion.

If it's any consolation, I have to explain those same factors to police officers almost every day, and they don't like it any better than folks here do. Most people view life through their own filters, and they cannot imagine how anyone could see it any differently.
Agreed, and this particular trap, that of seeing things from only my view, is something I try to avoid. It is surprisingly difficult.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

techguy85 wrote: Agreed, and this particular trap, that of seeing things from only my view, is something I try to avoid. It is surprisingly difficult.
Indeed, kudos for recognizing that and managing to do so.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member