Uncomfortable encounter but everyone went home.

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fyrfytr310

Uncomfortable encounter but everyone went home.

Post by fyrfytr310 »

This is three weeks old so I have had some time to digest.

Standing at the RedBox (Sitting Duck Generator?) I am waiting behind a gentlemen with obvious technical skill deficiencies. As I am waiting for him to decide whether or not to accept his receipt via email, I notice a man stumbling down the sidewalk on Eaton Ave, towards my locations. From about 100 yards, I am not concerned, just aware he is there. As time goes on, the receipt issue still is not resolved and the distance has closed to 20 yards and the man has left the sidewalk and entered the parking lot.

From this distance, I can now see that this man is wearing a torn hospital gown and sweatpants. There is dried blood on his garments and face. I now focus my attention on this figure. He locks eyes with me and doubles his pace across the lot. At this point, I am now moving in the direction of my car, deciding the sub-par Matthew McConaughey film wasn't worth the wait (or whatever might be transpiring at this time). My path to the car was not in-line with his direction of hastened travel. He adjusted his direction and pace to match mine.

Simultaneously, he reaches ~20 feet with clear intentions to approach me, I have reached my car and placed it between us and my cell phone is out. Unfortunately, I was not on the driver side. On the walk to the car, I had unlocked the car, cleared my coat from my weapon and once at the car, my grip was firm on said weapon. As I am keeping eyes with this man this exchange follows:

Him - Hey!
Me - Close enough! (I would have been in my car and on my way at this point if we were in reversed positions.)
Him - You need to let me use your phone.
Me - No, you can use the one inside.
Him - Let me use your phone.
Me - No.
Me - F*** you, man.

Man walks off in direction of nearby ally to destinations unknown.

Hindsight tells me that this is probably some drunk/druggy who was taken to the ER (about 1 mile down the road) after a fight and sent on his way after being patched up needing to contact someone for a ride home... or wherever. Not having the benefit of hindsight, I just wanted to get out of there. Still, I don't know what his real intentions were. Had I not placed a large object between us (car) would he have continued to close the distance with the intent of robbing me, eating my face in a drug fueled fit or... telling me to let him use my phone? I almost feel bad about jumping to the defensive but then I remember that ultimately I wen't home and nothing happened.

Feel free to armchair QB this situation. Did I retreat properly? Was I out of line bringing hand to pistol? Should I have dialed 911 at the outset of the verbal exchange? Earlier? I await my internet beating :)
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Uncomfortable encounter but everyone went home.

Post by Cosmos »

I think you did fine in the encounter. My own language to the individual would not pass the board censoring.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I feel you did well.....you went home. I probably wouldn't have unlocked my car.....what if he would have jumped in? I probably would have called 911 after the adventure. It's probably just not normal for some walking around with torn, bloody scrubs on.

You did fine....you went home.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

pirateguy191 wrote:I feel you did well.....you went home. I probably wouldn't have unlocked my car.....what if he would have jumped in? I probably would have called 911 after the adventure. It's probably just not normal for some walking around with torn, bloody scrubs on.

You did fine....you went home.
I agree. You did well, but probably should have reported the suspicious person.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Given that he was still bloodied and wearing hospital attire I suspect he was what is known in ER parlance as "a walkoff." I wouldn't be surprised if local LE was looking for him.
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

djthomas wrote:Given that he was still bloodied and wearing hospital attire I suspect he was what is known in ER parlance as "a walkoff." I wouldn't be surprised if local LE was looking for him.
Wait....people just walk out of hospitals? Learn something new every day....
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

djthomas wrote:Given that he was still bloodied and wearing hospital attire I suspect he was what is known in ER parlance as "a walkoff." I wouldn't be surprised if local LE was looking for him.
That was my thought. He might have been brought to the ER by the police and decided to leave before they could chat with him.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

My opinion is you did well at being alert and keeping your distance, and maybe you should second guess yourself on not calling the cops and unlocking the car.

The best part is you went home that night

Kudos
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BobK

Post by BobK »

In the spirit of constructive criticism, you should have challenged him sooner. Approximately 20 feet is too close.

If I had watched him vectoring in from 100 yards out, I'd have been challenging him at 20 yards, not 20 feet.

Glad you were aware and glad you went home with no injuries and no arrests.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

BobK wrote:In the spirit of constructive criticism, you should have challenged him sooner. Approximately 20 feet is too close.

If I had watched him vectoring in from 100 yards out, I'd have been challenging him at 20 yards, not 20 feet.

Glad you were aware and glad you went home with no injuries and no arrests.
To be fair, his vector wasn't clearly towards me until he was well within that 100 yards but I agree an earlier challenge was possible.

I agree with the others as well on calling the cops in the future. It is possible that he could have called the cops on me about my pistol, assuming he actually saw it, then he is the victim... Unless of course he was already avoiding the police like djthomas said.

I believe, at minimum, if I had given him my phone to use, I would be minus one iPhone.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
milligan740

Post by milligan740 »

Sounds like someone left AMA and was looking to get out of Dodge. You acted appropriately and I have no suggestions for how you could/should have acted differently.
Primary: Glock 23 | BUG: Ruger LCP
Other guns: Glock 26, Mossberg 500 Persuader, S&W 686-6, Walther P22, S&W AR-15, NAA .22 Short, others.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Well played.
Thank you for sharing.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.