Without night sights...

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Without night sights...

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote: Whew, it's so much less keyboard work to quote partial posts from you than TSiWRX, Thug Hunter.
Hey, hey, hey!!! Let's keep it civil in here, alright? :P :lol:

:oops: < m\mutters: diarrhea at the keyboard.... > :oops:

-----

carmen fovozzo wrote:Brian...if you look at the pics of the one I have the sights are well protected......
Brian D. wrote: High volumes of shooting will for sure break fiber optic tubes, or cause them to fall out occasionally. Tritium vials not so much from use, but bumping them into barricades under recoil and what not, definitely a bad thing. Repairing the latter, of course, is way more expensive and annoying than staking/melting a new piece of FO into place.
I've yet to avail myself of the combination tritium/fiber optics; Tru Glo had enough issues with them, early on, to justify a reboot of the things. I'm told they did a good job with what's made now, and took care of unhappy customers who bought the version 1.0. Didn't follow the details of that because I had no skin in the game.
Carmen, it's like Brian wrote - the damage mechanisms are different. What breaks a Tritium vial and causes it to leak and no longer glow is typically a different type of event than what breaks a fiber optic and lets it fall out of its holder.

With the TruGlos, IIRC, the initial complaints were that they were falling out of their holders (the body of the sights) and that the material of the fiber-optics were actually being "melted/"eaten away" by various common "plastic safe" gun cleaning agents: which then caused the vials to become damaged. Some owners self-addressed the issue by using clear fingernail-polish or similar to retain the insert in the housing, but again as Brian wrote, TruGlo's revision supposedly took care of this, and their C/S was supposedly exemplary in their efforts to address problems experienced by earlier users.
Heck I'm still a bit wary of Sure Fire lights because in spite of the ad copy in early days, the bulbs on the things wouldn't survive a three foot fall on a linoleum floor, much less the high speed low drag activities of the folks shown deploying them "in harm's way".
The incandescents were, no matter what, still more fragile than many of us (everyday folk, even) would have liked, but the LEDs are bomb-proof. :)

Also IIRC, initially at least (although I'm not sure today, as I have not pursued their own LED upgrades, only various aftermarket drop-ins), their LED-upgrade modules ("Conversion Heads") suffered some sort of problem with the contacts.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

True, to an extent. I'd LOVE to have back up, meaning a team of guys with me to help clear my house, but that's not likely.
Old houses make noises sometimes, water pipes, window shutters, creeking sounds, etc. If I called the police EVERY TIME that I heard a noise, the cops would practically have to live in the guest room of my house! :lol: As Clint Smith said, "I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy." Unless I have a CONFIRMED break in, etc, I'm going to call 911 EVERYTIME I hear a strange noise in my house, wasting police resources for people that have CONFIRMED emergencies, like a women hiding in a room while her crazy ex beats on the door with a baseball bat, etc. If my door has been kicked in, window broken in and open, sure, I'll definitely call 911 then. But just for a noise, that may or may not an intruder, I'm not going to waste their time UNTIL I'm sure I'm in danger. I know you've heard of them, people who call 911 just to tell that their microwave makes a weird 'ding' sound when the timer goes off, so please send the bomb squad to check it out, it could blow up, and ruin my tinfoil hat! :lol: 91 would hate me and probably block my calls.

It's my duty as the man of the house to hold down the fort, protect the fam, go into battle if need be. If I die, they live and escape. But, I don't plan to go down without a serious fight. That's what the training is for, that's what the guns and ammo are for, the MMA is for, etc etc. We all have a duty to protect our families, to the best of abilities, LEOs and private citizens. I mean after all, that is why we all went to get CCW permits after all, right? :idea:

Adding night sights to a gun helps a shooter get much better sight alignment in low light or no light shootings. But I also agree, I need a flashlight too, to improve sight picture, improve the ability to see the bad guy, see his weapon, etc. To me, they are equally important.
carmen fovozzo wrote:It amazes me that everyone ( except Brian) is posting about night sites and flashlights....

Here is my 2 cents......you first screwed up by acting like a LEO and clearing your house....Don't care how much trainng you have....If someone was in the house and you were attacked and put out of commission you would have left your family defenseless....

You should of called 911 and stayed outside with family in a safe place till LE came..

Fiber Optic sights are nice along with a laser..
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

My post stands.....call 911.... Clearing a house is for LE and Military......and maybe Jack Bauer from 24. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

carmen fovozzo wrote:My post stands.....call 911.... Clearing a house is for LE and Military......and maybe Jack Bauer from 24. :)

I can't wait. 8)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm with Glock513 - no way I'm calling 911 every time "this old house" makes a noise I (or my wife) feel like I have to investigate. Cautious, armed, with a seriously bright flashlight and a cell phone ready to call if I need to, yes. Isn't that what the man of the house is supposed to do?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Our little old house makes so much noise, the wife and I laughed our way through Paranormal Activities. :lol:
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Might I remind you fine gentlemen that the OP said there was a home invasion and a couple were beaten up in the neighborhood awhile back.....that right there should tell anyone that lives in that neighborhood not to play 007...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

That's true.

But in their case, it was A LOT than just suspicious noise that they heard, there were actual criminals/attackers who they saw in their home. I come from a family full of LEO's. During their rookie days, they all laugh about the wild goose chases they are sent on, literally, old woman calls and reports an animal in her yard, not sure what it is, maybe it's a big rotweller or pitbull, etc, she's scared, 911 come quick!!! Nope, they respond, and what do they find, a goose walking around in the backyard! I don't want to be known as the "crazy old man who calls 911 everytime squirrels run accross my roof, or a bird poops on my car and it makes a loud thump sound" :lol:. Doing that I would lose credibility and respect from 911, so if I ever called in a REAL emergency, they'd probably be slow to respond because I called for 99 times previously this year for false alarms, to report strange noises, I thought I saw shadows, I thought I heard voices. That's how some people end up living in padded rooms wearing "tactical" jackets that mysteriously have both sleaves sewn together and wrapped around themselves many times with a chain and key on it. :lol: At that point I'd be calling 911 with my "invisible" cellphone in the mental institution. :lol:
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."