First Notification - Cincinnati PD

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AaronInCincy

First Notification - Cincinnati PD

Post by AaronInCincy »

I called the police to report that my car had been broken into and a couple of firearms stolen. When the officer arrived at my house I told him I had a CCW and was currently armed. He said he didn't care and went on with the rest of the report like nothing had happened. Here's to hoping the thieves are dumb enough to try and pawn/sell them. They got my Sig P226, 150 rounds of 9mm, my Ruger SR22 and 800 rounds of 22.

Crappy circumstances, good encounter.
mreising

Re: First Notification - Cincinnati PD

Post by mreising »

Sorry about your loss. Are you an NRA member? If so, you will have some insurance coverage for the loss. What part of Cincinnati and time of day? Just out of curiosity on where to avoid, not to bust your chops.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
AaronInCincy

Post by AaronInCincy »

Not an NRA member but that'll be changing today. I kept putting it off thinking it didn't matter when I signed up. My insurance company has already told me to pound sand, they don't cover anything that isn't attached. It happened on Milton Street (Prospect Hill, near Downtown/OTR) overnight.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Aaron, I suggest you follow up to ensure that CPD entered the serial numbers of those guns into the NCIC computer system. I had a rifle stolen out of my pickup's aluminum lockbox over in Covington Ky. one night several years ago (parked on Main Street in the middle of their entertainment district by the way!) and the detective who was supposed to do the data entry never did, much to my annoyance. It took me berating the police chief of that time to get the job done, by a captain, as I watched. Maybe that bad experience was a fluke and only ever happened that one time, and never at any other PD, but asking friends around the region during the succeeding years leads me to believe otherwise...

NCIC can't do much towards reuniting stolen property with its rightful owners if the folks who are supposed to be punching on the keyboards, just ain't.

By the way it seems like stolen guns rarely pop up for sale close to where they were swiped, best I can tell. But there's nothing stopping you from submitting the serial info around to various gun/pawn shops, etc.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

I'm assuming you forgot you had weapons in the car?
AaronInCincy

Post by AaronInCincy »

TJW815 wrote:I'm assuming you forgot you had weapons in the car?
Didn't forget, put them there last night in preparation for a trip to the range at lunch today. I think my neighbors would react negatively to seeing me walking out of the house with obvious gun cases so I try to do it at night when nobody is around. That'll be changing after today, I'm less inclined to care what the neighbors think.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I know that one wasn't directed at me, but want to address what happened in my situation: Was going to head to the range with that locked up rifle early the next morning, and was staying in that neighborhood with a friend overnight, who was accompanying me on the shooting trip. Wanted to familiarize her with the firearm the night before. The aluminum tool box was busted into when we returned from dinner at like 8pm, not even fully dark out yet. Right. Along. A. Very. Busy. Street.

Could NOT believe it happened. Guess I should have been carrying the bloody thing, slung. No doubt the thief was looking for power tools to hock, but got an AR-15 instead.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

AaronInCincy wrote:
Didn't forget, put them there last night in preparation for a trip to the range at lunch today. I think my neighbors would react negatively to seeing me walking out of the house with obvious gun cases so I try to do it at night when nobody is around. That'll be changing after today, I'm less inclined to care what the neighbors think.
Aaron, depending on where I lived at the time, have handled the long gun case toting discreetly, as you describe. You didn't do anything irresponsible. A thief BROKE IN and STOLE from you.

AaronInCincy

Post by AaronInCincy »

Brian D. wrote:
AaronInCincy wrote:
Aaron, depending on where I lived at the time, have handled the long gun case toting discreetly, as you describe. You didn't do anything irresponsible. A thief BROKE IN and STOLE from you.
Good to hear, but I still feel awful putting 2 more guns on the street.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Guess I'm older than you Aaron--heck I'm older than lots of people on here. This does enable me to see a bigger picture of things, maybe. These same thieves steal a baseball bat from you and use it to murder somebody, the responsibility is theirs, not yours. They hotwire and swipe your car then run over a child in a crosswalk with it, on purpose or not, same thing.

Long time ago there was a pair of spree killers here in the Midwest. At one point they forced their way into the home of an older couple and then used the homeowners' power tools to torture both of them, the wife died and the husband barely survived. As I recall one or more of those tools was then used in a subsequent torture/killing.

I've got more examples but you probably get the gist.

AaronInCincy

Post by AaronInCincy »

Brian D. wrote:I've got more examples but you probably get the gist.
Yeah, I get it. Criminals will be criminals regardless of their tools. I'll be fine. Luckily they didn't get my CCW at least.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

One thing Cincinnati does right it gun entries. They enter EVERY gun into NCIC. Heck, if you are arrested for a CHL violation (really any violation where they seize your gun), they enter your gun into NCIC as Recovered then enter a Safekeeping message and remove it when they return it to you.

Sorry to hear about your luck. Cincinnati seems to be having a huge increase in crime this year despite the cold temps. Heck, just pull up news on Clifton....good thing I don't have kids cause I'd yank them out of UC so fast or buy them a gun and let them risk being caught. Dangerous area right now.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

While I totally understand why you did. I'm just going to say that part of cincy is not the best place to do that in. I will not leave mine in the car unless they are behind a second level of protection. To each there own of course.

I live in a neighborhood full of old people and don't leave stuff in my car.

To touch on the other end of te conversation. I use my Air Force duffle bag to move my weapons to and from the car.

If I might ask how did they gain entry into your vehicle?
AaronInCincy

Post by AaronInCincy »

TJW815 wrote:If I might ask how did they gain entry into your vehicle?
I don't know, but I have a guess. The doors were unlocked and the alarm was deactivated this morning, which as far as I know can only mean I unlocked it. I know for a fact I locked it after I loaded up the trunk, so that leaves me hitting the unlock button without realizing it.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

AaronInCincy wrote:
TJW815 wrote:If I might ask how did they gain entry into your vehicle?
I don't know, but I have a guess. The doors were unlocked and the alarm was deactivated this morning, which as far as I know can only mean I unlocked it. I know for a fact I locked it after I loaded up the trunk, so that leaves me hitting the unlock button without realizing it.

That kinda hurts doesnt it. Kinda like POW! Right in the kisser!