First Notification - Cincinnati PD

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CincyKid

Re: First Notification - Cincinnati PD

Post by CincyKid »

Brian D. wrote:Long time ago there was a pair of spree killers here in the Midwest. At one point they forced their way into the home of an older couple and then used the homeowners' power tools to torture both of them, the wife died and the husband barely survived. As I recall one or more of those tools was then used in a subsequent torture/killing.
Alton Coleman/Debra Brown?
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

AaronInCincy wrote:... so that leaves me hitting the unlock button without realizing it.
Not necessarily: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... &t=1499565
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

AaronInCincy wrote:
TJW815 wrote:If I might ask how did they gain entry into your vehicle?
I don't know, but I have a guess. The doors were unlocked and the alarm was deactivated this morning, which as far as I know can only mean I unlocked it. I know for a fact I locked it after I loaded up the trunk, so that leaves me hitting the unlock button without realizing it.
If you can unlock it with a remote keyfob, there are devices out there that can capture the signal and later unlock the car. It's safer to use the lock button than to use a fob to lock the car, but supposedly there are also devices out there that can still send unlock signals on older systems.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

schmieg wrote:
AaronInCincy wrote:
TJW815 wrote:If I might ask how did they gain entry into your vehicle?
I don't know, but I have a guess. The doors were unlocked and the alarm was deactivated this morning, which as far as I know can only mean I unlocked it. I know for a fact I locked it after I loaded up the trunk, so that leaves me hitting the unlock button without realizing it.
If you can unlock it with a remote keyfob, there are devices out there that can capture the signal and later unlock the car. It's safer to use the lock button than to use a fob to lock the car, but supposedly there are also devices out there that can still send unlock signals on older systems.
Sorry - guess I should have put context around that link.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

JediSkipdogg wrote:One thing Cincinnati does right it gun entries. They enter EVERY gun into NCIC. Heck, if you are arrested for a CHL violation (really any violation where they seize your gun), they enter your gun into NCIC as Recovered then enter a Safekeeping message and remove it when they return it to you.
Jedi - I was temporarily detained by CPD and they temporarily took possession of my weapon. I wasn't arrested, and they returned my weapon at the end of our little curbside interaction. Does what you said above apply in my scenario???
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JoeM wrote:
schmieg wrote:
AaronInCincy wrote: I don't know, but I have a guess. The doors were unlocked and the alarm was deactivated this morning, which as far as I know can only mean I unlocked it. I know for a fact I locked it after I loaded up the trunk, so that leaves me hitting the unlock button without realizing it.
Sorry - guess I should have put context around that link.
No problem. I entered my reply before seeing yours.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

CincyKid wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Long time ago there was a pair of spree killers here in the Midwest. At one point they forced their way into the home of an older couple and then used the homeowners' power tools to torture both of them, the wife died and the husband barely survived. As I recall one or more of those tools was then used in a subsequent torture/killing.
Alton Coleman/Debra Brown?
Yes.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

glocksmith wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:One thing Cincinnati does right it gun entries. They enter EVERY gun into NCIC. Heck, if you are arrested for a CHL violation (really any violation where they seize your gun), they enter your gun into NCIC as Recovered then enter a Safekeeping message and remove it when they return it to you.
Jedi - I was temporarily detained by CPD and they temporarily took possession of my weapon. I wasn't arrested, and they returned my weapon at the end of our little curbside interaction. Does what you said above apply in my scenario???
No, because your weapon wasn't seized in the terms that it made it to their property room.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Copy that. Thanks!!

Edit: It wouldn't surprise me though if they called it in to see if it was stolen.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
docachna

Post by docachna »

AaronInCincy wrote:Not an NRA member but that'll be changing today. I kept putting it off thinking it didn't matter when I signed up. My insurance company has already told me to pound sand, they don't cover anything that isn't attached. It happened on Milton Street (Prospect Hill, near Downtown/OTR) overnight.
My son lived on Milton St. while going to UC in 04-05. Only time his car ever got broken into since he started driving.

As to the insurance, if your insurance company won't schedule items (jewelry, guns, etc.), I'd find a new insurance company. Look for quotes online, but also call a local independent agent. They can shop around and get you the best deal, with the company that's getting good claims reviews. Low premium ain't worth squat if it takes a week and a half to get a call back on a claim (like I recently experienced as a liability claimant against a State Farm insured). You CAN do better than what you have - I guarantee it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Brian D. wrote:Aaron, I suggest you follow up to ensure that CPD entered the serial numbers of those guns into the NCIC computer system.

I had a couple of guns stolen 8 years ago. In December, a local county detective informed me that one had been recovered in Jacksonville, FL but that he could not get the PD to return his calls. I still haven't heard more.
docachna

Post by docachna »

OhioPaints wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Aaron, I suggest you follow up to ensure that CPD entered the serial numbers of those guns into the NCIC computer system.

I had a couple of guns stolen 8 years ago. In December, a local county detective informed me that one had been recovered in Jacksonville, FL but that he could not get the PD to return his calls. I still haven't heard more.
If you didn't collect on insurance for that gun, it's still yours. And they have it.

IMO, your next step is registered mail to the Chief of Police of that department, enclosing a copy of the theft report, and advising him:
" Detective ***** of (agency) has advised me that you have recovered my stolen firearm (brand, model, Ser. #). A copy of the theft report is enclosed. The weapon was not covered by insurance, and no insurance claim has been paid with respect to its theft. Therefore, the weapon remains my property.

Please do not dispose of this weapon until arrangements can be made to return the recovered stolen weapon to me. Please advise immediately what your department's procedures are for the owner of recovered stolen property to reclaim that property from your department. If any written department policies govern such procedures, please forward a complete copy immediately, so that I may satisfy any requirements your department may have which will permit me to reclaim my recovered stolen weapon."
Hopefully they will not stonewall you as they may have done your detective friend.

Good luck ! Let us know when you get it home.....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Thanks for the suggestion.

I do wonder if perhaps it was recovered as part of a crime. What happens if it is held as evidence?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

OhioPaints wrote:Thanks for the suggestion.

I do wonder if perhaps it was recovered as part of a crime. What happens if it is held as evidence?
Depends on state law. Being his gun is in Florida, I would say Florida law would be in place right now.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
AaronInCincy

Post by AaronInCincy »

docachna wrote:
AaronInCincy wrote:Not an NRA member but that'll be changing today. I kept putting it off thinking it didn't matter when I signed up. My insurance company has already told me to pound sand, they don't cover anything that isn't attached. It happened on Milton Street (Prospect Hill, near Downtown/OTR) overnight.
My son lived on Milton St. while going to UC in 04-05. Only time his car ever got broken into since he started driving.

As to the insurance, if your insurance company won't schedule items (jewelry, guns, etc.), I'd find a new insurance company. Look for quotes online, but also call a local independent agent. They can shop around and get you the best deal, with the company that's getting good claims reviews. Low premium ain't worth squat if it takes a week and a half to get a call back on a claim (like I recently experienced as a liability claimant against a State Farm insured). You CAN do better than what you have - I guarantee it.
I'm pretty stuck with Progressive for the next year at least due to a DUI 4 years ago. Progressive only goes back 3 years where everyone else seems to go back 5. I'll definitely be shopping around next year though.