Got pulled over coming out of Walmart

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Got pulled over coming out of Walmart

Post by WestonDon »

I put my new sticker on today. The first time I renewed with this truck. Had to remove the license plate frame with the dealers name on it to do so. Frame went in the trash. I don't like to add decorative frames, lenses, etc. for this very reason. And I certainly see no reason to open myself up to harassment by providing free advertising for the dealer.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Bombarde32 »

WestonDon wrote:I put my new sticker on today. The first time I renewed with this truck. Had to remove the license plate frame with the dealers name on it to do so. Frame went in the trash. I don't like to add decorative frames, lenses, etc. for this very reason. And I certainly see no reason to open myself up to harassment by providing free advertising for the dealer.
I was once stopped, given a very thorough external vehicle inspection, before being asked, "Why do you have black plastic over your front license plate?" I presumed the nice officer meant the very lightly tinted (smoke) plate cover. The plate was easily readable from a distance, far more so than some of the hazed and fogged covers I often see. I was admonished to remove it immediately and given a written warning for "obstructed license plate".

To this day I wonder why he claimed "black plastic", and I wasn't in the mood to argue over shades of gray at the time. Maybe on his dash cam, my lack of argument constituted tacit agreement that it was "black plastic". Whatever.

I had a sporty import hatchback at the time, and I remain convinced that I was profiled as a teenager or twenty-something with drugs in the car.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

The sticker was convenient. If they were looking for a black truck coming out of WalMart they would have found a way to stop you. Depending on why they were looking for said truck and how closely you fit the description they may have had PC to make the stop without witnessing an infraction.
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Werz wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:That's one of the most BS reasons and the guys I work with use it a lot. Technically, per the ORC, none of your sticker can be covered. It doesn't matter if it's 100% readable, if a corner is covered it's a violation and they love using it.
Unilluminated license plate light + Whren et al. v. United States = Easy Traffic Stop

How often do people check to see it their license plate lights are working?
Since reading so many posts about this, I check those lights at least once a week on both my work truck and personal Nitro. Question: how far can we deviate from the prescribed location of the sticker? Yeah, I know there is that indented place on the plate, but does it have to go EXACTLY in that spot or could you move it up a bit to make sure the sticker is fully visible, even with the plate holder. Another question, how muddy is "muddy"? Up to the officer's discretion? A slight layer of dirt, but the sticker clearly readable, can that still be cause for a pull-over? I guess obviously, from the stories I hear, but it bugs me there is such a wide pool for fishing.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Guy at work got a ticket for snow on his bumper blocking his plate. it was the same morning as one of our big snow storm. I thought they should have given him a warning.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

ScottyPotty wrote:Guy at work got a ticket for snow on his bumper blocking his plate. it was the same morning as one of our big snow storm. I thought they should have given him a warning.
I would fight that in court. Sure it is a waste of my time but that's a bogus citation.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I think you handled this very well.

My ONLY critique: When asked "what are you doing tonight?" by the LEO, I would answer with silence, or say "personel business".
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

JU-87 wrote:I think you handled this very well.

My ONLY critique: When asked "what are you doing tonight?" by the LEO, I would answer with silence, or say "personel business".
Correct response is: "Are you hitting on me?' :shock:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

JU-87 wrote:I think you handled this very well.

I told him what he already knew - "we were at walmart"
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

The current legal climate is such if they want to find a violation, they can probably find a violation.

I'm thinking it may be best to try and remove most excuses LEO's use for traffic stops. Uncover those plates etc. No reason to make their jobs easier while fishing for PC.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

Werz wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:That's one of the most BS reasons and the guys I work with use it a lot. Technically, per the ORC, none of your sticker can be covered. It doesn't matter if it's 100% readable, if a corner is covered it's a violation and they love using it.
Unilluminated license plate light + Whren et al. v. United States = Easy Traffic Stop

How often do people check to see it their license plate lights are working?
Me, all the time, well at least once a week, I got pulled over for that once and they will never get me for THAT reason anyhow
I religiously check my wife's lights too and when my kids stop by I always look out the window when they pull away
Come and get'em
JeepMaker

Post by JeepMaker »

Well I'd be screwed then. I have a "Monroe Dodge" trim thing on the plate that totally covers the stickers.
"The right to, Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness ain't worth a fart in a windstorm without the right to use any and all means available to secure and protect that right".
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Bell2

Post by Bell2 »

I have a friend, now retired who was a LEO for years and he told me it is virtually impossible for anyone to drive for half a mile without doing something he could legally stop them for.