Got pulled over coming out of Walmart

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Got pulled over coming out of Walmart

Post by ScottyPotty »

The other night, my wife and I were pulling out of Walmart and I noticed a LEO behind me. The way he was tailing me I was wondering if he was going to light me up. Once they came on I pulled over and put my hands on the wheel, dome light on and window down.

Officer: Good evening sir
Me: Hello, I have a CHL and I'm currently carrying.
Officer: OK, where is your firearm?
Me: right front pocket
Officer: License, insurance, registration, CHL License
Me: Its in my back right pocket.
Officer: Go ahead and reach for it.
Officer: What are you doing tonight
Me: My wife and I were at Walmart
Meanwhile another LEO comes up on the passenger side and scares my wife. She asked him why are we pulled over - he says "I don't know, I'm just here for backup"
Officer: how is your driving record?
Me: Perfect, why are we being pulled over?
Officer: The placement of your license plate holder makes your license plate sticker hard to read.
Me: :roll:
Me: That's odd, I've had this truck 8 years and never had a problem. I just put a new 2 year sticker on it a couple days ago.
Officer: Ill be right back.
Officer: He comes back and says "I'm going to let you off with a warning. We are on a lookout for a black truck at Walmart but I like to have a reason to pull over someone. You will probably never have a problem with the placement of your sticker. Have a good night"

It was nice that the gun was a non-issue.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Got pulled over coming out of Walmart

Post by WayneB »

Officer: He comes back and says "I'm going to let you off with a warning. We are on a lookout for a black truck at Walmart but I like to have a reason to pull over someone. You will probably never have a problem with the placement of your sticker. Have a good night"
Ok, so, if he agrees that the sticker placement will probably never be a problem -- what was the warning for? Is it a problem or isn't it?
docachna

Post by docachna »

ScottyPotty wrote:
...Me: Perfect, why are we being pulled over?
Officer: The placement of your license plate holder makes your license plate sticker hard to read.
Me: :roll:
Me: That's odd, I've had this truck 8 years and never had a problem. I just put a new 2 year sticker on it a couple days ago.
Officer: Ill be right back.
Officer: He comes back and says "I'm going to let you off with a warning. We are on a lookout for a black truck at Walmart but I like to have a reason to pull over someone. You will probably never have a problem with the placement of your sticker. Have a good night"....
Yeah, I'm throwing the BS flag on that one.....now where's that emoticon ???!?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Why do you think Im lying?
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
docachna

Post by docachna »

ScottyPotty wrote:Why do you think Im lying?
The cop's lame-o excuse for stopping you.

Not you. :roll:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

The sticker has to be unobstructed, it's a valid reason for a stop, but it's not something you would ever be cited for (at least I would hope not).

They were looking for a different black truck.

I think he was telling you he would rather stop you for the sticker violation than just because your truck matched the description of whatever they were looking for.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Nobody thinks you are lying, it's a comment on the p.c. for the vehicle stop which, while technically valid, is a stretch. Once they determined you weren't the droids they were looking for, p.c. for the stop became irrelevant. It was an official stop most certainly with a LEADS inquiry, which will show as warning issued for minor vehicle code violation. They can't just randomly run people through LEADS theoretically.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

"These is not the droids we are looking for".... "Move along" :lol:
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

evan price wrote:
Nobody thinks you are lying, it's a comment on the p.c. for the vehicle stop which, while technically valid, is a stretch. Once they determined you weren't the droids they were looking for, p.c. for the stop became irrelevant. It was an official stop most certainly with a LEADS inquiry, which will show as warning issued for minor vehicle code violation. They can't just randomly run people through LEADS theoretically.
I believe Evan nailed it in he needed something to enter for the LEADS inquiry.

P.S. - I got a chuckle out of the droids reference. Reminded me of this version: http://youtu.be/56_S0WeTkzs
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

I beleave docachna explained it. sorry for the misunderstanding. sometimes that happens on the internet.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

That is some eye sight the Officer has!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Bombarde32 »

I would have become flustered, I think, trying to carry on a conversation with officer #1 while trying to find an opening to notify officer #2 at the passenger window. Was that an issue for you?
diamondsun

Post by diamondsun »

With that excuse for pulling you over, you should have asked for his license...

To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

That's one of the most BS reasons and the guys I work with use it a lot. Technically, per the ORC, none of your sticker can be covered. It doesn't matter if it's 100% readable, if a corner is covered it's a violation and they love using it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JediSkipdogg wrote:That's one of the most BS reasons and the guys I work with use it a lot. Technically, per the ORC, none of your sticker can be covered. It doesn't matter if it's 100% readable, if a corner is covered it's a violation and they love using it.
Unilluminated license plate light + Whren et al. v. United States = Easy Traffic Stop

How often do people check to see it their license plate lights are working?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.