First inform, non-event

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

First inform, non-event

Post by rimfireOH »

I've been carrying when/where I can since I obtained my Ohio CHL in late August last year. Whenever I get into the car or go out for a walk, I prepare by reminding myself that/if I'm carrying and where my firearm is. And I've practiced my "pulled-over speech" hundreds of times. Practice makes perfect, something I need when I'm stressed or nervous. Both times that I've been stopped in the past 20 years ended up in warnings, but just the thought of getting pulled over quickens my pulse.

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving, we blew a tire in Ohio on the turnpike, heading east out of Cleveland. I pulled over, out of traffic and got busy on the tire.

I've been told (by my wife, who heard it from her girlfriend, who....) that the first thing a LEO will is run your plates and that your CHL status will come up. I've also been told (ditto) that the LEO will automatically call for backup (I guess this happened to wife's girlfriend a few times). So the decision I had made is that I would inform whether I carrying or not -- if they likely know my CHL status, I'd rather put them at ease so I can get done sooner and get on my way. (Yes, I know there's great debate on this subject.)

So, when the Ohio State Trooper pulls up behind us with lights flashing, then got out and approached me, I promptly informed that I was a CHL holder and was not armed.

Where were my hands? Tightly wrapped around a tire-iron, but in plain view. He was clearly not concerned nor did he seem interested. I remember hearing something about "thanks." Just wanted to know how we were getting along. He walked to the front of my vehicle (to check if I had front plates?) and then passed me again (still wrestling with tire) and then got in and drove off.

So, my first inform was a non-event. We finished changing the tire and then headed back onto the highway. Over the river and through the woods...
glocksmith

Re: First inform, non-event

Post by glocksmith »

The sad part is, he probably could care less whether you needed help. He was just looking for some other violation and used your breakdown situation as a pretext for snooping around.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

glocksmith wrote:The sad part is, he probably could care less whether you needed help. He was just looking for some other violation and used your breakdown situation as a pretext for snooping around.
Could be. Snowplow operator had stopped just a few minutes earlier to offer assistance. Once he saw we were in good shape (spare wasn't flat and we seemed self-sufficient), he wished us luck and continued on his way. LEO was much the same: did we have a viable spare and could we do this -- once he was satisfied, he continued on his way.

I was wondering, though. If I had been carrying/armed, would I have needed to inform? I was the one stopped, the LEO didn't stop me. But I was "approached", so perhaps I would have needed to inform. Moot point since I wasn't carrying, but thinking about these things in advance...
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rimfireOH wrote:I was wondering, though. If I had been carrying/armed, would I have needed to inform? I was the one stopped, the LEO didn't stop me. But I was "approached", so perhaps I would have needed to inform. Moot point since I wasn't carrying, but thinking about these things in advance...
First, why weren't you armed?

Since you informed when not armed in that situation, I'm curious why you would ask? Presumably, you would have also notified had you been armed at the time, whether required or not...

I would not have notified had I not been armed, but I would have notified had I been armed. To me, he was performing his official duties so it fell within a "law enforcement purpose" and regardless of whether he actually stopped me or I was already stopped, I would have informed.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Nocturnx

Post by Nocturnx »

Why would you inform if you are not carrying? I don't get it. The title of this thread cracks me up, of course it was a non-event, you weren't even carrying and informed when you didn't have to! LMAO
179th APS
OEF Veteran
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Nocturnx wrote:Why would you inform if you are not carrying? I don't get it. The title of this thread cracks me up, of course it was a non-event, you weren't even carrying and informed when you didn't have to! LMAO
At least the officer didn't reach in to take his holster!
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Nocturnx wrote:Why would you inform if you are not carrying? I don't get it. The title of this thread cracks me up, of course it was a non-event, you weren't even carrying and informed when you didn't have to! LMAO
Don't they teach these things in a state approved CHL certification course anyway?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

The state mandated topics say nothing about legal requirements, only firearms training. So an instructor has no obligation under the law to discuss it. Most do touch on it, but not all.
Nocturnx

Post by Nocturnx »

Javelin Man wrote: At least the officer didn't reach in to take his holster!
Whammy!

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to crap on your thread. I was in a bit of a mood this morning... I'm glad your situation was uneventful because you never know these days. Carry safely and carry on my friend, welcome to the forum.
179th APS
OEF Veteran
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

The state approved CHL certification course I attended did cover when it is required to inform. The instructors got some other things wrong (Specifically, cause I know I'll be asked, we were told that when we became CHL holders, we could never, ever open carry again. Clearly baloney, but that's what they said.), but it was covered that the only time we must inform is when carrying.

My decision (at the time of my flat tire) to inform the LEO that I'm a CHL holder but not carrying comes back to putting the LEO at ease. I want my stop to be as short and as easy as possible so I can go on my way. Of course, from the LEO's perspective, I could be lying, I could be armed whether CHL or not, and perhaps the LEO should assume that everyone they approach is armed. I don't know.

There are entire threads on this board going over this topic (here's an old but good one: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12538), and I didn't mean to start another one. My personal position on needlessly voluntarily informing is changing, even since November last year--I'm more at the "probably, but it depends on the situation" part of the spectrum.

I've found this board to be a wealth of knowledge and it has changed my thinking and my behavior on a number of things. Thanks for keeping the topics lively!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

rimfireOH-

Welcome to the forum!

It is YOUR choice on when to inform. Make your choice and go with it.

But PLEASE don't say you are notifying to put a LEO at ease.

If you are armed, he now knows you have a gun and will NOT be at ease.

If you are NOT armed, he won't believe you, and will NOT be at ease.

Any cop that is at ease during a traffic stop is a DEAD cop.

You are notifying, when you are not required to, in order to put YOURSELF at ease.

Right?
MyWifeSaidYes
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

JustaShooter wrote:First, why weren't you armed?
A good and valid question. First, cause I had to pass through PA and I don't (yet) have my PA license. Second, my ultimate destination was a military base and it wasn't clear at this stage in the trip that I'd be able to carry onto it. (According to my relative stationed there, I could have carried onto the base, just couldn't enter any buildings. That's how it was posted when we arrived and how it was explained to my relative.)

But all-in-all, a good and valid question.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

rimfireOH wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:First, why weren't you armed?
A good and valid question. First, cause I had to pass through PA and I don't (yet) have my PA license. Second, my ultimate destination was a military base and it wasn't clear at this stage in the trip that I'd be able to carry onto it. (According to my relative stationed there, I could have carried onto the base, just couldn't enter any buildings. That's how it was posted when we arrived and how it was explained to my relative.)

But all-in-all, a good and valid question.
For future reference, PA law allows you to be armed in your vehicle with your OH license. See http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI ... /18/18.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6106
Firearms not to be Carried Without a License
(1)
Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who
carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business,
without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(2)
A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in
any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of
abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other
criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.
--
The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11)
Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued
license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
The concern about the military base would certainly have given me pause - especially since I would have guessed it to be completely off-limits to have a firearm in that instance (though I might have been inclined to call and ask...)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

rimfireOH wrote:I've been carrying when/where I can since I obtained my Ohio CHL in late August last year. Whenever I get into the car or go out for a walk, I prepare by reminding myself that/if I'm carrying and where my firearm is. And I've practiced my "pulled-over speech" hundreds of times. Practice makes perfect, something I need when I'm stressed or nervous. Both times that I've been stopped in the past 20 years ended up in warnings, but just the thought of getting pulled over quickens my pulse.

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving, we blew a tire in Ohio on the turnpike, heading east out of Cleveland. I pulled over, out of traffic and got busy on the tire.

I've been told (by my wife, who heard it from her girlfriend, who....) that the first thing a LEO will is run your plates and that your CHL status will come up. I've also been told (ditto) that the LEO will automatically call for backup (I guess this happened to wife's girlfriend a few times). So the decision I had made is that I would inform whether I carrying or not -- if they likely know my CHL status, I'd rather put them at ease so I can get done sooner and get on my way. (Yes, I know there's great debate on this subject.)

So, when the Ohio State Trooper pulls up behind us with lights flashing, then got out and approached me, I promptly informed that I was a CHL holder and was not armed.

Where were my hands? Tightly wrapped around a tire-iron, but in plain view. He was clearly not concerned nor did he seem interested. I remember hearing something about "thanks." Just wanted to know how we were getting along. He walked to the front of my vehicle (to check if I had front plates?) and then passed me again (still wrestling with tire) and then got in and drove off.

So, my first inform was a non-event. We finished changing the tire and then headed back onto the highway. Over the river and through the woods...
Simply put: It is clearly your choice to notify or not notify, when not armed. I have trained all my students to practice a simple set of statements to ease the notification process. Moreover, I have found the most frequent police interaction with police are traffic stops. Those interactions can induce stress upon the civilians.

Do what makes you comfortable in regards to such notification. I have been stopped once; I was not armed, but I still make a notification to the officer. He seemed appreciative.
phillip

Post by phillip »

techguy85 wrote:The state mandated topics say nothing about legal requirements, only firearms training. So an instructor has no obligation under the law to discuss it. Most do touch on it, but not all.
Not so:

Concealed Carry Manual - This booklet, which summarizes Ohio’s concealed handgun law, is required reading for all applicants for a concealed handgun license.

Published by the Ohio Attorney General. It IS a legal requirement. See minimum requirement section of same. Page 5 states:

"As part of the training, applicants also must receive and certify that they
have reviewed a copy of this publication."
Last edited by phillip on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.