Germantown Police

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CincyKid

Re: Germantown Police

Post by CincyKid »

Javelin Man wrote:If I'm pulled over for a burned out tailight, I'm exiting the vehicle to verify. If it's shining brightly, I'm calling a supervisor.
I agree with verifying... but will an LEO generally allow you to exit the car and walk around during a stop?
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Guitar Slinger wrote:Umm...

I don't know if it is being "gullible".

More (to the point) of being aware of your surroundings... including your vehicle.

Just as you would have valid CHL... Drivers License... insurance on your vehicle...

Simple things, like the basics of operating any vehicle on the road... would apply.
My retort was in response to someone believing something just because it's coming from a LEO. Seems a lot of people take their word as gospel. I don't!

If it's OK for them to lie to me, it's OK for me not to believe them.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Well put.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Had he written a ticket, or had anything else happened, I would have checked right then. When I said he gave me a warning, it was a verbal warning. He didnt even run my driver license. I handed it to him, he looked at it, looked at me, handed it back to me and said just get the light fixed and have a good evening. It was a very quick stop. I had no reason at the time to question whether the light was out or not. And BTW, I was not armed and did not inform. I work on federal property so I must me unarmed going to and from work. :evil:
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
docachna

Post by docachna »

CincyKid wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:If I'm pulled over for a burned out tailight, I'm exiting the vehicle to verify. If it's shining brightly, I'm calling a supervisor.
I agree with verifying... but will an LEO generally allow you to exit the car and walk around during a stop?
"Please show me which one is out."

If he acts as if he won't let you out of the car, then:

"Am I free to go ?"

If he says "yes", then the stop is over. He has no authority to forbid you from exiting your vehicle to examine your (supposedly) faulty equipment.

As to if it is "shining brightly", yeah, I'm with you. I don't cotton to BS traffic stops......esp. when I'm the stoppee........
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
ArmyMedic90

Post by ArmyMedic90 »

According to the RC, in order for your plate light to be lawfully working properly, it must illuminate your plate so it can be seen from a distance of 50 ft. I've stopped vehicles before because I thought their plate light was out but upon my approach to the vehicle I've seen a working plate light. When I inform the driver for the reason for the stop, I politely say their plate light isn't working properly. If they ask me if it's out I'll say "No, but it must be bright enough so that the plate can be seen from a distance of 50 ft ."

That being said, I have never cut someone a citation for an improperly functioning plate light. I use it as PC to stop vehicles to see if the driver could possibly be intoxicated or if they have guns or drugs in the vehicle (as others have said).

As far as Germantown PD making lots of stops on RT4, its heavily used by people running to and from Dayton for drugs.
U.S. Army Combat Medic
Sworn LEO
Nationally Registered EMT
NRA Certified RSO
ArmyMedic90

Post by ArmyMedic90 »

As far as exiting the vehicle during a stop to check equipment, I will order you not to exit the vehicle for two reasons: 1) Officer safety. I have no idea who you are or what you're capable of. I feel much safer knowing someone is contained within a vehicle. 2) Your own safety. Since were talking about a plate light malfunction, I will assume were discussing stops at night time. The last thing I want is to allow John Doe to exit his vehicle during a stop and get greased on the roadway by a careless driver who doesn't see him...
U.S. Army Combat Medic
Sworn LEO
Nationally Registered EMT
NRA Certified RSO
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

ArmyMedic90 wrote:That being said, I have never cut someone a citation for an improperly functioning plate light. I use it as PC to stop vehicles to see if the driver could possibly be intoxicated or if they have guns or drugs in the vehicle (as others have said).
So you see no problem with a fishing expedition, as long as you have PC for something? You don't find that flying in the face of the intent of the 4th?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
BobK

Post by BobK »

jabeatty wrote:
ArmyMedic90 wrote:That being said, I have never cut someone a citation for an improperly functioning plate light. I use it as PC to stop vehicles to see if the driver could possibly be intoxicated or if they have guns or drugs in the vehicle (as others have said).
So you see no problem with a fishing expedition, as long as you have PC for something? You don't find that flying in the face of the intent of the 4th?
Seems like good police work to me. :P

There are a lot of fishing expeditions where the fish caught is too small and thrown back in to live another day. But every now and then, there is a great white shark on the line . . . like Timothy McVeigh.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?