Dealing with bad guys

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Lone Wolf

Dealing with bad guys

Post by Lone Wolf »

Howdy all,

I stumbled across this while surfing around the other day. I thought it was appropriate for some discussion. I cleared it with one of the moderators first. It's quite an eye opener.

A heads up before you click on the link. There is some raw language which is why I cleared it with a moderator first.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1285487_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LW
Sherlock Holmes : "You have arms, I suppose?"
Dr. Watson : "Yes, I thought it well to take them."
Sherlock Holmes : "Most certainly. Keep your revolver near you night and day and never relax your precautions"

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle "The Hound of the Baskervilles"
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Dealing with bad guys

Post by Sevens »

Good read.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Dupe: http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... rnedOUTLEO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Well crap,

Sorry. :oops: I'm really new in here.

LW
Sherlock Holmes : "Most certainly. Keep your revolver near you night and day and never relax your precautions"

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ No big deal at all. :) We're all new some time! :) It's a good read, for-sure, and my hope is that this dupe can at least be of-use to our other newer members, too. :) No harm, no foul.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Very good......
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
The German

Post by The German »

Thanks for sharing this - I haven't seen the other thread and wow, it is worth reading it...
wendellcrain

Post by wendellcrain »

Absolutely! Even though it is a dupe, I am glad because I missed the prior posting of it. Good information to consider.
meadeam

Post by meadeam »

I have not seen this yet. Thanks for posting.

I found the part about not hesitating to draw to be interesting. It is true, we are conditioned not to draw.

I especially like this:

"If someone challenges you after you indicate you are armed say "I don't have a gun". Then they will know you do. "

For full effect, you should be smiling sweetly when you say it.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

One of the things that I found interesting and quite contradictory to what I have read in here and heard in my CHL class was this:

"Despite warnings I often see on the Net I have yet to encounter an instance in which a hold up man called the police to report his intended victim threatened to shoot him. Thugs do not want to come into contact with the police. They may already be wanted or realize chances are good they have been identified in a recent robbery. Or what ever. They are not going to call the police if you draw on them. "

It makes perfect sense it's just that I often read that "The first one to call 911 is the victim." I remember asking that specific question in my class and was told to always call 911. I would do that anyway, I just never thought about the notion that a thug is probably not going to report me.

LW

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Lone Wolf wrote:One of the things that I found interesting and quite contradictory to what I have read in here and heard in my CHL class was this:

"Despite warnings I often see on the Net I have yet to encounter an instance in which a hold up man called the police to report his intended victim threatened to shoot him. Thugs do not want to come into contact with the police. They may already be wanted or realize chances are good they have been identified in a recent robbery. Or what ever. They are not going to call the police if you draw on them. "

It makes perfect sense it's just that I often read that "The first one to call 911 is the victim." I remember asking that specific question in my class and was told to always call 911. I would do that anyway, I just never thought about the notion that a thug is probably not going to report me.

LW
I think the difference is that the thug/career criminal class will not, but the tough guy who is at least nominally or ordinarily a law-abiding citizen may indeed call 911 when presented with the business end of your firearm after having made a credible threat to end your life or cause great bodily harm.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Exactly.

The smart thing to do is to call right-away. :)
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

TSiWRX wrote:^ Exactly.

The smart thing to do is to call right-away. :)
Yup. There may also be a witness you are not aware of who did not see the entire encounter and reports that you were brandishing a firearm.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Required reading for friends and loved ones.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Interesting read.

I think his take is much more accurate than the "you must be in fear of your life before you can draw" crowd.

I look at the stare down, avoidance, clearing jackets & shirts, drawing to low ready, pointing, shooting as steps along the "confrontation devolution spectrum".