Question on Traffic Stop

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Harleywood

Re: Question on Traffic Stop

Post by Harleywood »

I would think its best to say you have a CHL and avoid the possibility of a hassle or being falsely arrested.
I refuse to be a victim
Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

JustaShooter wrote:No. You are only required to notify law enforcement that you have a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) if you have a loaded handgun with you. However, not all police officers understand that, so some people will notify them anyway and tell them they are not armed at the time.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I do question why the people that pass our laws make up such as this.. We all know that people that can not pass a background check do carrie and they are not going to notify, Therefore a police person must expect that Everyone may be armed when they make a traffic stop... so the idea that some one that does have a license to carrie must notify is foolish...
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Dave44142 wrote: I do question why the people that pass our laws make up such as this.. We all know that people that can not pass a background check do carrie and they are not going to notify, Therefore a police person must expect that Everyone may be armed when they make a traffic stop... so the idea that some one that does have a license to carrie must notify is foolish...
A certain percentage of our legislators have mush (I'm being TOS compliant) for brains. They emote to the point of not thinking AT ALL, on any subject. Unfortunately they get to tinker with the language of these bills as they go through the sausage-making process of becoming laws.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Other elected officials may be well-meaning, but were swept up by the approach of various lobbyists.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Harleywood wrote:I would think its best to say you have a CHL and avoid the possibility of a hassle or being falsely arrested.
And you would be entitled to think that.

Other people might see this as the LEO not knowing or following the law, or even as an invasion of privacy or a violation of your civil rights.

If you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about, right?

You don't mind if they search your car. It avoids the hassle.

And when they want to come into your home, just to make sure you don't have anything illegal there, you won't stop them. Don't want to give them any hassle.

"Papers, please!" Why, they asked so nicely, how could you refuse?
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Sorry, Harleywood.

Didn't mean to just dump that on you.

Yes, you can always choose to give up more information than is required of you. The police seem to like confessions.

I choose to give them only the information that is required by law.

If I'm not carrying, they can take notification and [omitted to preclude moderator action]!! Twice!!

I am never worried about hassles and I have no worries of false arrest. Some people do not have this flexibility.

Besides, I hear some jails have great bologna sandwiches!

Welcome to the forum.
MyWifeSaidYes
fisher3

Post by fisher3 »

Harleywood wrote:
I would think its best to say you have a CHL and avoid the possibility of a hassle or being falsely arrested.
I tend to look at this a bit differently than most. I fully expect others to disagree. I think about 2 things regarding info I share with LEO that is not required by law such as that you have a CHL but are not presently carrying.

1. If the officer is polite, professional and general curteous, I am much more inclined to same something. I am not required to say good day either but I probably will in those situations

2. The other situation is harder because I agree with MWSY about not letting things grow unchecked. However, some officers are so skidish ill informed and poorly trained that I worry they may see I have a CHL and if I have not told them there response could be to shoot me by mistake convinced I am carrying a weapon. It is clearly nonsense but I do think I lot of officers think that someone with a CHL that does not tell them is intentionally hiding something.
phillip

Post by phillip »

1. If the officer is polite, professional and general curteous, I am much more inclined to same something. I am not required to say good day either but I probably will in those situations

up until reading your #2 below, I agreed.

2. The other situation is harder because I agree with MWSY about not letting things grow unchecked. However, some officers are so skidish ill informed and poorly trained that I worry they may see I have a CHL and if I have not told them there response could be to shoot me by mistake convinced I am carrying a weapon. It is clearly nonsense but I do think I lot of officers think that someone with a CHL that does not tell them is intentionally hiding something.
fisher3

wow. heavy stuff. cop might shoot you because you have chl and did not notify w/o a weapon....

After reading this, it has completely reversed my mindset: I will NeVER EVER notify w/o a weapon now!! I refuse to live a life of FEAR that a dumb cop may shoot me for following the law and not notifying! NEVER!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

fisher3 wrote:2. The other situation is harder because I agree with MWSY about not letting things grow unchecked. However, some officers are so skidish ill informed and poorly trained that I worry they may see I have a CHL and if I have not told them there response could be to shoot me by mistake convinced I am carrying a weapon. It is clearly nonsense but I do think I lot of officers think that someone with a CHL that does not tell them is intentionally hiding something.
If that happens, my mother will get her condo paid off and my cousin will get one of her own. My two best friends will hound the shooter to his grave, destroying him financially.

If I wanted to be coerced by thugs with guns, I'd move to North Korea.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
mreising

Post by mreising »

deanimator wrote: If I wanted to be coerced by thugs with guns, I'd move to North Korea.
... or back to Chicago.. :wink:
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

mreising wrote:
deanimator wrote: If I wanted to be coerced by thugs with guns, I'd move to North Korea.
... or back to Chicago.. :wink:
Apparently they've gotten the message that neither Weis nor McCarthy "had their back", so apart from some typical financial corruption, the Chicago PD has been keeping a relatively low profile these days.

Apart from that, I suspect the Korean food is better on Lawrence Ave. than anywhere in North Korea. The Korean girls are probably prettier there too... unless you like emaciated girls with malnutrition induced mental retardation...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Harleywood

Post by Harleywood »

Ok I get it..lol..
I am new at guns at least lately I am ..I just reserved my space for my CHL on jan 12th..(wish me luck). So maybe look at this from a newbies point of view. I would love to stick it to the man but I have to tell you I live in CANTON,OH :shock: does that ring a bell ....lol..thanks for the info I will take into consideration. :lol:

Harleywood
I refuse to be a victim
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Hivoltage wrote:Thanks for the answers...reason I asked is because I was stopped and not carrying a gun and the State Patrolman asked if there was anything I forgot to tell him. I said I was not carrying and he said he could arrest me if he wanted to. I did not argue...but thought he was wrong. I just said I was sorry and he let me go.
In my experience State Troopers are the most often guilty of this. There's good Staties but most of them I've met tend to be...south bound ends of north bound horses.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

evan price wrote:
Hivoltage wrote:Thanks for the answers...reason I asked is because I was stopped and not carrying a gun and the State Patrolman asked if there was anything I forgot to tell him. I said I was not carrying and he said he could arrest me if he wanted to. I did not argue...but thought he was wrong. I just said I was sorry and he let me go.
In my experience State Troopers are the most often guilty of this. There's good Staties but most of them I've met tend to be...south bound ends of north bound horses.
While that assessment is not totally inaccurate, there is likely more to it than that. The Ohio State Highway Patrol is somewhat obsessive about executing policy. If you see something occur with state troopers on a regular basis, it is always wise to start tracing the practice up the chain of command. Keep in mind that the Colonel has historically been the chief opponent of many concealed carry liberties. I would not be surprised to learn that troopers have been spoon-fed that erroneous interpretation of Ohio law.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

Harleywood wrote:Ok I get it..lol..
I am new at guns at least lately I am ..I just reserved my space for my CHL on jan 12th..(wish me luck). So maybe look at this from a newbies point of view. I would love to stick it to the man but I have to tell you I live in CANTON,OH :shock: does that ring a bell ....lol..thanks for the info I will take into consideration. :lol:

Harleywood
Oh yayyyyy the home of occifer Harless :x
Come and get'em