Question on Traffic Stop

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Question on Traffic Stop

Post by gaptrick »

Tweed Ring wrote:Learn to use the search function. This topic has been beaten about for some time. I train students to notify, using a number of bullet points, as I find some police officers are made more comfortable if there is a notification. Clearly, I am in the minority of the trainers who post hereon. I am also in the minority of those who post hereon, as well.

Most of my students will never be involved in a self-defense shooting. Their only dealing with police officers will come during traffic stops. I want to make those situations as easy as possible for those students.

Life is replete with choices.

Regardless of the method one chooses to utilize, the OP was thretened with arrest. The shoulda, coulda, woulda is moot. A follow up is in order although it probably won't change anything. It never seems to. Shameful that the people in charge of enforcing the laws don't know them.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Sometimes, people are threatened with arrest. Being threatened with arrest, and being arrested are a bit different.

I train my students that traffic stops are an opportunity for negotiation and for compromise. However, one can opt not to engage in negotiation and compromise.

As I said, life is replete with choices. Live is also about managing one's risk, and maximizing one's opportunities.

Enjoy the Holidays.
docachna

Post by docachna »

mreising wrote:Please contact the brass at the trooper's post to follow up. Even without the trooper's ID info, a general call or letter to the post might help to get the word out. If you are not comfortable doing this let us know the location and someone can send a message.
I understand Tweed Ring's rationale.

I also deeply believe that those who expect us to know the law, should also be expected to know it.

I echo those who said take it up with his post commander, or find someone here who will. Contact me if you have no other luck.

Education does not come in 40-yard gains. It's 2- and 3-yard gains, up the middle.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Dorsal Spine

Post by Dorsal Spine »

Tweed Ring wrote:Sometimes, people are threatened with arrest. Being threatened with arrest, and being arrested are a bit different.

I train my students that traffic stops are an opportunity for negotiation and for compromise. However, one can opt not to engage in negotiation and compromise.

As I said, life is replete with choices. Live is also about managing one's risk, and maximizing one's opportunities.

Enjoy the Holidays.
I also teach my students that every traffic stop is a negotiation. When the officer is at ease, your potential speeding ticket may turn into a warning followed by a discussion of your favorite carry gun.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I spent years training law enforcement officers. I learned cops, like most people, tend to respond to cordiality. Again, negotiation and compromise.
mreising

Post by mreising »

My partners and I also teach our students that notifying when not carrying may make things go smoother, however that is not the discussion here. In the instant case, the OP was stopped and did not notify because he was not carrying; that was his choice and it was a legal choice. The officer then proceeded to indicate that he could have arrested the OP for failure to notify; the officer was wrong.

What is being recommended here is that the OP contact the Highway Patrol Post to:
1. Determine what the troopers at the post believe to be the law, and,
2. Inform them of the correct law.

Clearly the officer would not have threatened arrest if the OP had notified, but the OP was not required to and that horse has already left the barn. Let's try to get the officers to know the law and then, regardless of the choices one makes regarding notification, we won't keep seeing this issue come up as often. I also am in agreement with those who believe that notification should be done away with.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Maybe there should be some state level office that could provide continuing education to law enforcement agencies across...ohwaitthatsrightthereis. Never mind.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

The one time I was stopped, I had to notify. So I did. Stupid law. If I was not armed I *might* say something like " I am not required to notify you I am unarmed, but I am unarmed"......educate the government a bit if they are ignorant.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Dorsal Spine wrote:I also teach my students that every traffic stop is a negotiation. When the officer is at ease, your potential speeding ticket may turn into a warning followed by a discussion of your favorite carry gun.
The way to avoid citatations is to obey the law, not to engage in ritualized displays of submission.

I find that obeying the speed and traffic laws greatly lessens my need to tug meekly at my forelock...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Tweed Ring wrote:I spent years training law enforcement officers. I learned cops, like most people, tend to respond to cordiality. Again, negotiation and compromise.
I'm polite but not friendly. They should have no expectation of more than that.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Atilla wrote:The one time I was stopped, I had to notify. So I did. Stupid law. If I was not armed I *might* say something like " I am not required to notify you I am unarmed, but I am unarmed"......educate the government a bit if they are ignorant.
The odds are he'll run on about how you're a "civilian" and have no business telling him the law. When they're wrong, they're usually REALLY wrong, and really aggressive about it.
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: I was OC'ing when I had a recent encounter with a LEO. He was adamant that I had to inform him that I was carrying even though it was visible to his partner and he missed it. :shock:

I sent an email to the city police chief and got nothing back. 8)
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
docachna

Post by docachna »

charliej47 wrote::shock: I was OC'ing when I had a recent encounter with a LEO. He was adamant that I had to inform him that I was carrying even though it was visible to his partner and he missed it. :shock:

Bet you get something back after showing up for a City Council meeting and telling your story in public. Public officials ignore citizens as long as citizens permit it. Stop permitting it, it'll stop happening.

As a prelude to going to council meeting, send a copy of the e-mail to the Mayor and the Law Director, pointing out to them that your interest is simply that the city police know the law, and don't abuse citizens due to their ignorance of the law. If that doesn't get a reaction, personally, I'd say they're begging for you to bring it up to council !
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

charliej47 wrote::shock: I was OC'ing when I had a recent encounter with a LEO. He was adamant that I had to inform him that I was carrying even though it was visible to his partner and he missed it. :shock:

Charlie was that in Middletown? I've found that generally, MPD is pretty knowledgeable in this area. I would be surprised, and disappointed if that happened here.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

deanimator wrote:
Atilla wrote:The one time I was stopped, I had to notify. So I did. Stupid law. If I was not armed I *might* say something like " I am not required to notify you I am unarmed, but I am unarmed"......educate the government a bit if they are ignorant.
The odds are he'll run on about how you're a "civilian" and have no business telling him the law. When they're wrong, they're usually REALLY wrong, and really aggressive about it.

That's what a voice recorder and iphone video are for. Followed by civil court remedies if needed.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!