Stopped for weaving

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Stopped for weaving

Post by gaptrick »

I think more and more about these cheap dashcams that can be bought online for under 50 bucks. Stories like this one make me want one. If you could just tell the cop that you didn't think YOUR dash cam would tell the same story as HIS/HER dashcam would it might be enough to shorten the stop and keep it paperless.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

gaptrick wrote:I think more and more about these cheap dashcams that can be bought online for under 50 bucks. Stories like this one make me want one. If you could just tell the cop that you didn't think YOUR dash cam would tell the same story as HIS/HER dashcam would it might be enough to shorten the stop and keep it paperless.
Because of the angle, and because your tires cannot be seen in a dashcam located in your vehicle, your video might actually look worse than his.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
fisher

Post by fisher »

Werz wrote:
gaptrick wrote:I think more and more about these cheap dashcams that can be bought online for under 50 bucks. Stories like this one make me want one. If you could just tell the cop that you didn't think YOUR dash cam would tell the same story as HIS/HER dashcam would it might be enough to shorten the stop and keep it paperless.
Because of the angle, and because your tires cannot be seen in a dashcam located in your vehicle, your video might actually look worse than his.
True. I made a few videos of myself riding my motorcycle. I did not cross the center line at any point, but multiple people commented that it appeared that I did.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

docachna wrote:Stories like the above are exactly why I recommend to everyone I know that if they get stopped and written up, get a formal request in the pipeline for the cruiser dashcam before the officer is even done with his shift. It can be the only thing that supports your version of events.
Many times we hear the dashcam was never turned on or it was not functioning properly. :roll:
Some dashcams are tied into activation of the lights. If a LEO says he saw an infraction and THEN starts recording, it won't be of much use to you. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

CroManGun wrote:
docachna wrote:Stories like the above are exactly why I recommend to everyone I know that if they get stopped and written up, get a formal request in the pipeline for the cruiser dashcam before the officer is even done with his shift. It can be the only thing that supports your version of events.
Many times we hear the dashcam was never turned on or it was not functioning properly. :roll:
Some dashcams are tied into activation of the lights. If a LEO says he saw an infraction and THEN starts recording, it won't be of much use to you. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Most (if not all) are set up to record video from a short time PRIOR to activation. All the ones I've seen recorded 60 seconds prior. Audio typically is not recorded from prior to activation.

And the cameras do actually stop working sometimes. Computers can be finicky (especially when they're set up in the trunk of a car in 90+ degree weather) and there's not always an IT person around to fix them.