Home Invasion Scenario

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Home Invasion Scenario

Post by catfish86 »

As to dogs, I swear by them. Beautiful companions, deter burglars (grew up in the projects, know lots of burglars, they say why do hard when you got easy) and in the event they don't care about the dogs, they buy time to get the gun and evaluate situation.

As to pepper spray, good option for kids, but still not a toy.

As to dialing 911 ASAP rather than waiting: My mother was staying with us after surgery. We heard a thump and moan from her room about 2am. I rushed in, wife behind, saw somthing on the floor. Hit the lights, Mom is lying in a big red pool :shock: . I yelled out call 911 and started to check her out and see where to apply pressure to hopefully prevent a bleed-out. My wife was yelling the ambulance was on the way before I had a chance to figure out that my mother had gotten a glass of cranberry juice and tripped with it :oops: . I then went to the front yard with a flashlight to guide in the ambulance (good idea to reduce response time, the EMT, unless your relative, does NOT know where your house is, of course not an option when hiding). I sheepishly explained as they rushed in about the juice. They both stopped and looked at me with a blank look. OK, here comes the ripping. Then they burst into laughter. I apologized and told him I would make sure next time and he cut me off. Don't ever wait like that, the minute or two in deciding can mean they are too late, they would much rather have a good laugh than bring in a DOA. That is if you make an honest mistake, pranks to 911 are never funny.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Newcomer
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Newcomer »

Great story.
"You don't have to agree with everything I say...but eventually you'll come to your senses."
http://www.gunauction.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I second that
Great story,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Unless I missed it... How old is the daughter?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

catfish86 wrote:As to dialing 911 ASAP rather than waiting: My mother was staying with us after surgery. We heard a thump and moan from her room about 2am. I rushed in, wife behind, saw somthing on the floor. Hit the lights, Mom is lying in a big red pool :shock: . I yelled out call 911 and started to check her out and see where to apply pressure to hopefully prevent a bleed-out. My wife was yelling the ambulance was on the way before I had a chance to figure out that my mother had gotten a glass of cranberry juice and tripped with it :oops: . I then went to the front yard with a flashlight to guide in the ambulance (good idea to reduce response time, the EMT, unless your relative, does NOT know where your house is, of course not an option when hiding). I sheepishly explained as they rushed in about the juice. They both stopped and looked at me with a blank look. OK, here comes the ripping. Then they burst into laughter. I apologized and told him I would make sure next time and he cut me off. Don't ever wait like that, the minute or two in deciding can mean they are too late, they would much rather have a good laugh than bring in a DOA. That is if you make an honest mistake, pranks to 911 are never funny.
I'll add this one to my list of funny EMT stories. Thanks!
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

gaptrick wrote:How old is the daughter?
I have two in high school. Freshman and Senior. The oldest wants nothing to do with guns. The youngest will shoot with me once or twice a year, but not what I would call enthusiastic. I'm bringing her along slowly, rather than pushing.
NERES wrote:
CincyKid wrote:... The only thing I can think of is crank up the stereo/TV and watch the visitor through the window without being seen... with cell phone at the ready.
Just a thought that this may not be the best idea since you will not be able to hear what is happening. Sometimes one perp will be at the front door while another is around back. Just speak loudly through the closed door "What do you want?". This lets them know the house is occupied and that you know they are there and without the TV blaring you can hear any response or activity.

Same with the siren. Mine is set to sound just long enough to alert me and my family then it shuts off so we can hear what is happening.
Great suggestion on the alarm and TV. I'll reconfigure my alarm as soon as I can find the manual :?:

Peep holes are out for us. The front door has side windows... if the kids go anywhere near the door, a BG would see them. They can turn on lights, etc. that the BG would see from the door (without being seen flipping the switch) .

So, I guess their game plan would be to grab the phone, turn on lights visible from door, and hunker down somewhere out of sight. If the BG doesn't go away or they hear any B&E sounds... then start dialing 9-1-1 and hide with their pepper spray.

Oh, BTW.... I also found some burglar yard signs on Amazon... never thought to look there before :oops:
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

Another BTW.... my kids liked the funny EMT story. Probably helped them be a little less afraid to dial 9-1-1 :D
TS04

Post by TS04 »

The peephole technique is used by killers sometimes. Knock on the door. When the peephole goes dark, shoot the peephole. In this day and age you can get video monitoring devices so cheap, why even go to the door? Just flip your TV input , see who's out there, and decide from your couch if they are a threat or not.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

TS04 wrote:The peephole technique is used by killers sometimes. Knock on the door. When the peephole goes dark, shoot the peephole. In this day and age you can get video monitoring devices so cheap, why even go to the door? Just flip your TV input , see who's out there, and decide from your couch if they are a threat or not.
Back in the 80s in my neighborhood a couple of dealers were in a spat. They used a wicked tactic. They would throw a rock through the window and whoever looked out the window to see who threw the rock got the bullet. Tended to discourage observant neighbors.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

TS04 wrote:The peephole technique is used by killers sometimes. Knock on the door. When the peephole goes dark, shoot the peephole.
Sounds more like something from film and television. It's not something I lie awake worrying about at night :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Why bother worrying about it? Didn't Uncle Joe just tell us if we felt threatened to fire a couple of shots through the door with our shotgun?
:roll:
I don't even have to look, not that I could see anything useful if I did at night... :mrgreen: