University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati PD

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati PD

Post by BB62 »

mreising wrote:A news report on the radio today said a UC student was held up by two thugs, one with a gun. The gun malfunctioned and the student knocked it out of the thug's hand, only to get stabbed by thug number 2. Injuries were minor. Think how thus might have turned out if the student had been able to shoot back instead of just slapping the gun away. I'll look for a link to the story later.
I heard that too. It makes my blood boil.

I'd be up for an informatory OC walk or walks (with literature) welcoming students to Cincinnati's largest victim zone at various appropriate times, especially if there were a Concealed Carry on Campus group there.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
slim

Post by slim »

I'd be willing to help pass stuff out for that.

"Hi. Did you know you're in the safest place in the city for criminals to operate?"
mreising

Post by mreising »

Not the story I was looking for, but related to the same issues. Note the comment near the end of the story.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
pjmurph

Post by pjmurph »

BB62 wrote:
mreising wrote:A news report on the radio today said a UC student was held up by two thugs, one with a gun. The gun malfunctioned and the student knocked it out of the thug's hand, only to get stabbed by thug number 2. Injuries were minor. Think how thus might have turned out if the student had been able to shoot back instead of just slapping the gun away. I'll look for a link to the story later.
I heard that too. It makes my blood boil.

I'd be up for an informatory OC walk or walks (with literature) welcoming students to Cincinnati's largest victim zone at various appropriate times, especially if there were a Concealed Carry on Campus group there.
There is a group on campus called Bearcats for Concealed Carry, but I'm not exactly sure how active they are. I've also noticed during my time at UC that although they send out the "crime alert" emails telling us about who got robbed the previous night, the more serious stories like the student being stabbed always seem to slip through the cracks. I've personally heard stories about friends/acquaintances who have been robbed or assaulted that never seem to make it in the emails.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" -Edmund Burke

"Punishment is now unfashionable... because it creates moral distinctions among men, which, to the democratic mind, are odious. We prefer a meaningless collective guilt to a meaningful individual responsibility." -Thomas Szasz
BB62

Post by BB62 »

pjmurph wrote:There is a group on campus called Bearcats for Concealed Carry, but I'm not exactly sure how active they are. I've also noticed during my time at UC that although they send out the "crime alert" emails telling us about who got robbed the previous night, the more serious stories like the student being stabbed always seem to slip through the cracks. I've personally heard stories about friends/acquaintances who have been robbed or assaulted that never seem to make it in the emails.
Someone should supply the Bearcats for Concealed Carry a quote from Cincinnati's police chief in the article mreising supplied: "“(The area round UC) is what we call a target-rich environment..."

If that doesn't give the BCC people ammo, nothing will.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
chadwimc

Post by chadwimc »

Watching the neighborhood around UC at night is like watching a National Geographic special.

You can see the predators circling, looking for weak or vunerable prey.

Catch one alone or cull one from the herd and attack.
slim

Post by slim »

chadwimc wrote:Watching the neighborhood around UC at night is like watching a National Geographic special.

You can see the predators circling, looking for weak or vunerable prey.

Catch one alone or cull one from the herd and attack.
These guys give me "the nod" when I walk past them. "You're cool, bruh." Guess I don't look like a victim. I also do my best to engage them in conversation every time I see them lurking. "Hello, fellas. What are you gentlemen up to tonight?" They like that sort of thing. Especially when you stand there for a minute and talk to them.

While I don't feel sorry for the younger folks who walk down the dark streets alone and oblivious, texting away on their phones, I do almost, allllllmost, feel sorry for the idiot that will inevitably attempt to victimize my wife, who is from Russia and sometimes carries a steak knife in her purse. There's no such thing as a victim mentality for her people.
natertot

Post by natertot »

Any more word on doing an informative walk?

I'm around the Cincy area and would join up with it, schedule permitting.
slim

Post by slim »

Not that I've heard. I forget who it was, but I was talking to someone a while back about students for concealed carry.

I need to do another ruckmarch soon. Been a lazy bum this winter!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Let us know if you want to put together a walk or picnic/walk combo when spring rolls around.

There are a LOT of grassroots activists that need to stretch their legs after their long winter naps.
MyWifeSaidYes
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

It's been a few years since I stomped around Clifton - heck, last time I saw my old apartment on Ohio Avenue as an alumni, it was totally different than it was the 6 years earlier when I lived there.
-Erik
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Let us know if you want to put together a walk or picnic/walk combo when spring rolls around.

There are a LOT of grassroots activists that need to stretch their legs after their long winter naps.
Janae and I are REALLY looking to get some hiking in... so what if that hiking is in a place where it can server other purposes ;-)
Voice

Post by Voice »

Hmmm. Cincinnati area... I may be able to join in.
Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

"They asked why I had a gun and I told them, "I'm out walking the streets by myself. I mean, you have a gun. Why do you have a gun?" :lol: NICE!! I graduated from UC 2 years ago, so I feel your pain, although I USUALLY conceal carry. But in that area, I have Open Carried a few times, like if I was forced to walk pass a large of thugs on the corner. They'd see my OC gun, shout out he's the "boys" aka Police/plain clothes LEO, and they'd scatter like roaches to avoid me. :lol: I've never been stopped by the police in that area, but then again, I usually conceal carry. Glad that they didn't go too extreme on you during the stop. The guy open carrying NEVER bothers me. No criminal in his right mind is going to openly display his gun, so the OC guy is licensed/has a right to carry one I assume, unless we're in northern Mexico, then all bets are off and then I quickly run for cover! :lol:
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hey guys, sounds like you get around the UC area more than I do these days. Some questions: How are things looking at/around the old University Plaza by now? A developer had been given a good deal of city money to fix that place up, which it sure needed. Really bugged me the last time I was there several months ago, seeing 'No Guns' signs on the buildings, including the Kroger store. The corridor which goes from Kroger towards the Jefferson Avenue side of the property, years ago I dubbed that "Mugger's Alley" and it looked no less run down, dirty, and dark on my last couple visits.

At that time I contacted the Covington-based property manager/developer, and while they seemed interested in my concerns, they sure didn't tale the gunbuster signs down as of a week or so later.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.