University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati PD

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

slim

Re: University of Cincinnati and Cincinnati PD

Post by slim »

That particular area is still pretty run down. The gunbuster sign is a big one on the side of the building and therefore, I interpret it to mean, "no guns while loitering in the parking lot/walkway area." I don't see a sign on the door so I'm assuming Kroger doesn't mind if you bring your firearm inside.

They've bulldozed most of the other buildings in that area but "muggers alley" is still alive and well. I've walked through there exactly one time in my life. That was enough to convince me it is a stupid place to walk. Pretty much anything east of Vine is a little run down. Around the school is nice though and between Calhoun and McMillan it's actually quite nice with mostly new buildings and lots of new businesses and shops.

Most of the "thugs" you see loitering are actually high school kids (from Hughes) and not really thugs at all. They're good kids from the city and though they look "urban" (and therefore like thugs to most folks who don't typically see them) they're good kids. As you get farther away from Hughes (like down the hills in the west or Kroger in the east) you'll start to see less khaki pants/red shirts (Hughes "uniforms") and more saggy jeans/puffy jackets (thug "unifrom"). Those are the kids you need to watch out for.

Folks who've been rolled tell me there are typically three dudes present when they get held up. One is the gunman, one is there for moral support, and one is the lookout. Without fail, these muggings go down when the victims aren't paying attention. They're either talking amongst themselves or deeply into the apps on their cell phones. Situational awareness goes a long way.

Personally, I believe moving with purpose and direct confrontation also goes a long way. When I encounter groups of young folks I engage them from several paces off in a loud and direct manner while giving each of them "the nod" and extending a greeting. "Fine evening, isn't it?" I've yet to meet the punks who want a fight and engaging them first indicates you're not going to just hand over your cell phone. I think that's way more important than displaying a firearm during OC.