hug a runner day?

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techguy85

hug a runner day?

Post by techguy85 »

This hug a runner day thing nearly got a 6'2" 250 LB dude that literally chased us down the street for a hug shot. We had no clue wtf he was doing. He's lucky my shining my flashlight on him and yelling at him to stay where you are and show me your $@#%#%^& hands resulted in him stopping.
Lucky for him, the friend I was running with was the one that noticed him and told me he was coming. If he had gotten too much closer, I probably wouldn't have gone to the light first.
Who comes up with a game where you're supposed to aggressively approach strangers and try to hug them. On what planet does that seem like a good idea?
You have to understand what this looked like from our perspective. He jumped out of the car that he was a passenger in, and started running down the sidewalk after us. All I hear from my friend is there's a big dude that jumped out of the car chasing us.
Let's see what you all think of this and then I'll tell you what the police said.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: hug a runner day?

Post by sodbuster95 »

Well, yeah, that sounds like a stupid idea.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Wow - a clear invasion of personal space is an invite to be met with whatever is at hand.
It's either a poorly thought out well intended gesture, something meant to invite a physical confrontation or something to get people off thier guard before they are groped or accosted.. sounds like something Daniel Tosh would promote for video value.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

What is your personal reaction to a stranger attempting to hug you on the street in the dark?

A) They must be stupid

B) They must be drunk or high

C) Lucky they were not shot

D) All of the above
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

What could he possibly be thinking? And WTF is hug a runner day? I think the OP showed remarkable restraint the way he handled the situation. Good on ya. :D
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Who would think of something like this? Idiots.

But what better way to railroad a possible "SYG" bill from becoming law than demonstrate that a "friendly game of hug a runner day" results in some "innocent" person's death?

If I wanted to railroad something like that, I'd try to convince a bunch of dim witted patsies to play that "game" without thinking it through first.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
fisher

Post by fisher »

With all of this knockout game idiocy, one might assume that a person approaching one's personal space rapidly is participating in said game. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CincyKid

Post by CincyKid »

I guess a hug is a better motive than most people have had chasing me while I was running... but it doesn't matter... it would have been time for a speed workout followed by an introduction to my edc if they caught me.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

G.O.H.A.R.D. has been around for a while. (Doesn't make it any less stupid, but it wasn't employed just to mess with gun legislation.)
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

The CPD officer that responded basically said yeah, it's a stupid idea and I would have done the same thing, I called them because while I doubt the guy saw it, I had actually drawn my pistol and was holding it at high compressed ready. I'm pretty sure the 600l light I was shining in his face made it impossible for him to see what I was doing, but I didn't want to assume that someone else hadn't seen and hadn't called.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

You guys got me thinking now....On veteran's Day I have a sign in my window at work that says " Hug a Veteran Today " :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I imagine that the guy did not stick around for the police report. What did him and his friend in the car do/say after he stopped with the light in his face?
TDwin
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

ArmedAviator wrote:I imagine that the guy did not stick around for the police report. What did him and his friend in the car do/say after he stopped with the light in his face?
He put his arm up to block the light and said hey it is hug a runner day I just wanted to hug her (refering to my friend)
I told him to get lost and he turned around and got back in the car. They left after that.
I had to resist the urge to scream at him about how stupid that was and how close to catching a hot lead injection he had come.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

You should have told him that. Perhaps it would have gotten the importance of the situation through to him.

Also, why wouldn't he want to hug you?
TDwin
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

well, I'd rather hug her than me too so I don't blame him for that... But it was incredibly stupid to jump out of a car and chase us and not expect that kind of reaction.
I wanted to tell him that but thought that he might take it as a threat and I didn't need to mess with all of that. My lawyer money is limited to emergencies, not fighting an aggrivated menacing charge.