Clermont Co. scanner today/dispatch informs LEO of CCW

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fisher

Clermont Co. scanner today/dispatch informs LEO of CCW

Post by fisher »

I was listening to the local police on my scanner app today at 1:45, and I heard a dispatcher advise an officer about the presence of a CCW. I was not paying attention to it enough to see if it was from a plate or an ID run. Either way, nothing seemed to develop from it.
I was just curious if it was anyone here.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JediSkipdogg

Re: Clermont Co. scanner today/dispatch informs LEO of CCW

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I have mixed feelings about dispatchers notifying of CHL status....

On one side I think it ties up the radio for unnecessary traffic on a subject that is a good guy. You don't hear dispatchers notify of "no criminal history" unless the officer requests it. So unless an officer specifically asks for it I don't see the purpose in notifying.

On the other hand, it may help a defendant in court that is wrongly accused of failing to notify. 2923.16 has a nice little clause in it that states....

Except as otherwise provided in this division, a violation of division (E)(1) or (2) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree, and, in addition to any other penalty or sanction imposed for the violation, the offender's concealed handgun license shall be suspended pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 2923.128 of the Revised Code. If at the time of the stop of the offender for a traffic stop, for another law enforcement purpose, or for a purpose defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code that was the basis of the violation any law enforcement officer involved with the stop or the employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit who made the stop had actual knowledge of the offender's status as a licensee, a violation of division (E)(1) or (2) of this section is a minor misdemeanor, and the offender's concealed handgun license shall not be suspended pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 2923.128 of the Revised Code.

Well, how do you prove knowledge to help the defendant? How can you prove the time on the cruiser cam is synced with the time on the MDC and that he knew before he stopped you or confronted you? If you have the dispatcher notify on the radio then the cruiser cam should pick that up and you can tell at what point in the video the officer knew.

So, as a dispatcher, one is stuck in informing offficers of something that IMO is pointless as it's not an officer safety item vs helping the defendent to make sure they are charged with the appropriate section and there's a good quality log of it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I have great issue with all the identity data that as I recall goes out when a persons DS is requested buy SSN and DOB. I have given up my scanning day around the time I was married. My wife couldn't stand the noise. Are driving status and records still run by SSN, name and DOB as they were 12 or more years ago?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:I have great issue with all the identity data that as I recall goes out when a persons DS is requested buy SSN and DOB. I have given up my scanning day around the time I was married. My wife couldn't stand the noise. Are driving status and records still run by SSN, name and DOB as they were 12 or more years ago?
Yup, officer requests a driving status through dispatch by social security number. Dispatcher then gives info back over the air of their name and age. Some give it back as DOB. I only do age unless the officer specifically asks for DOB. All of this on a non-encrypted channel. Drives me nuts and I've tried to push for not doing it but get no where.

What's worse is when you have BCI/III data given back over the air. The security requirements are pretty strict on who can have access to the info and how it's disseminated but there's no restriction that it has to be an encrypted airwave.

What's funny is the CJIS policy states I can't email a social security number unless it's via an AES 256 encryption protocol. Yet, I'm allowed to give it over a non-encrypted airwave? Where the heck is the logic in that? :roll:
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

The Township PD here will happily take a vehicle registration number (vehicle license number), SSN, Driver's License Number, or VIN. I'm hearing fewer and fewer SSN's.

(I listen more or less if I'm awake.)

They also tell the Officer if the Registered Owner of a vehicle has a CHL, or if the individual (SSN or DL Number) shows one.

I'm not sure the precise reasoning, but back in 2004, the MDT would pop back with "DANGER DANGER DANGER - YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!" or something to that effect. The Officer in the field could easily see that this really was just a CHL warning, but the Dispatcher had to scroll down a ways to see that, and often would dispatch additional cars first, and then look. It was always a little interesting to see if the Dispatcher got the correction out to everybody who was "rolling"....

(They fixed that, but the "notification" at their end seems to have continued.)

Every once in a while the MDT can cause something unexpected, and potentially hilarious. The wife had been driving my mom's car (she passed in 2012), and was on the way home when a local Officer noticed that he couldn't read the "sticker" - to see when the plates expired. (VERY long story, but the plates now come back to me, as of Monday - the car's been out of service since last May.)

It came back to mom - a 96 year old woman with an expired driver's license....

He followed my wife into our driveway before lighting her up.... She came and got me, and I explained that mom had passed about a year before, and he admitted that Sherri didn't look much like 96 either.... We fixed the "read the sticker" problem, and had a good laugh. Funny thing - the problem was that the dealer's license plate frame was covering part of the sticker. For about fifteen years....

Then there was the time that a couple of PD cars pulled in behind one of my sisters in the driveway. Her response: "You guys must want my brother - he's inside." Turns out that she was driving a car similar to one they were looking for in a Felony case....

No MDT in those days.... Smoke signals, I think....

Regards,

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Or we could just rid ourselves of notification all together.
My informal survey of officers I know all universally think it is a stupid law. As one of them put it to me: if a cop doesn't assume everyone he comes into contact with is armed, he is eventually going to get a nasty surprise. And It probably won't be someone with a CHL.
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

Once the plate is called in Dispatch always informs of CCW status whether valid or expired.