Poor Judgment all the way around

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Poor Judgment all the way around

Post by catfish86 »

http://conservativepost.com/dashcam-vid ... l-of-kids/

Synopsis: Woman with van full of kids from age 6 to 14 pulled over for speeding, takes off and argues after getting pulled over. 14 yo getting out of vehicle to fight officer arresting mother for having pulled off from traffic stop. Stupid on mother's part. After the struggle she gets in van as backup arrive. They start breaking out windows as she speeds off. Then the cops turn a dumb situation even dumber: One starts unloading his pistol into the vehicle filled with kids. At this point no weapons displayed, she is just pulling away. Now granted, she just hands the officer her drivers license, signs for the ticket and sends the check, we never hear of the situation. This is situation of stupid people escalating a situation and cops reacting badly. Basic thing that befuddles me: Backup vehicle pulls BESIDE the van and not bumper to bumper in front. In that case, there is no possible way she pulls off. Same thing that happened in the DC/White House shooting. Is there no training on blocking a vehicle in to control a situation, anyone know of standard training on this situation?
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
jose45

Re: Poor Judgment all the way around

Post by jose45 »

I think your thread title says it all.Looked to me like the officer that initiated the stop failed to maintain any control what so ever over the situation.

The officer firing at the vehicle,that's just way over the top.
"Lord, make me fast and accurate.Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine.Let not my last thought be "If I only had my gun"
And Lord,if today is truly the day that you call me home.Let Me Die In A Pile of Hot Empty Brass.- Patriots Prayer- III% NRA,OFCC
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Can't get the vid any more....

I'm reserving my comments till I hear from Vex...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Video on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myqwv1xxkv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cop that was shooting was late to the scene and had no apparent reason to shoot.

My thought is that he was trying to shoot out a tire, but who knows.

Busting out a window or two? Justified, IMHO.
MyWifeSaidYes
sxshep

Post by sxshep »

I don't think the initiating officer handled anything poorly... He made clear verbal commands and tried to remove the mother from the car, what else is there to do? Shooting at the car seemed to be unjustified, but I don't know what their department policies state in that regard. I blame the mother... If she was truely concerned for the well being of the kids in the car, she wouldn't be fighting or eluding the police.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
Thomas Edison
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Who brought this problem, and a series of other problems upon herself? The driver, of course.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Can't get the vid any more....

Not much for vex to say video don't lie. :shock:
Black Rifles Matter
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Of course mom started it all. Its obvious that charges need to be brought on her and the 14 year old son (who is as big as the LEO). The only officer that I thought was out of line was the shooter. He should be out of a job. He was reckless, at minimum. Yeah, I think he was trying to shoot out the tires, but his intent is irrelevant. He EASILY could have injured a child or a fellow officer.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
rolltide92

Post by rolltide92 »

There is not excuse that cop could have for that unless the van was loaded with weapons and even then it would be a hard sell. the heck of it is all these anti's often say "cops know how to handle guns". Yeah right and bill clinton knows how to handle interns.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Watched the video, both the mother and the son were charged with numerous counts, drugs were subsequently found in car, have no idea what their law is regarding shooting at fleeing vehicles, but the mother put a number of innocent people, including her kids, at serious risk.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Ma Parker and her brood are still up to their old fiendishness I see.

The British are going! The British are going!
Vex

Post by Vex »

Shooting the tires out is for the movies. In real life, its just bad tactics.
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

There are a slew of charges against the 14 yo boy and the mother, all of which there is compelling evidence that they are guilty. No excuse no defense, sign for the ticket and send the check in the mail for God's sake. Including the child endangerment.

That all being said, firing into a vehicle that has children in it? Even if you are aiming at the tires, you are firing perpendicular to pavement, ricochet city, you have no idea where those bullets are ending up, not to mention nearby traffic. Not sure what the charges should be but I am thinking child endangerment is legitimate against the office firing his weapon. If the lady had displayed a weapon or put the vehicle in reverse are the only reasons this is a valid reaction. That being said, I do have sympathy for officers forced to deal with the situation caused by the mother, its just that parts of their reactions are not justified. Again, not sure about officer training as to blocking vehicles that have propensity to flee, but that would have removed any further danger of her fleeing again.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Vex wrote:

Shooting the tires out is for the movies. In real life, its just bad tactics.
Thanks...I just needed to hear it from you...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

jose45 wrote:I think your thread title says it all.Looked to me like the officer that initiated the stop failed to maintain any control what so ever over the situation.

The officer firing at the vehicle,that's just way over the top.
Not much else he could have done, not without someone else there to help. Only thing he could've done is not let the passenger door shut as his backup arrived so the kid could be dragged out. Even then, mom probably would have driven off while her son was in the process of being removed from the vehicle...

Guy who fired shots should probably lose his job.