Riverside PD A+ with odd twist

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

Re: Riverside PD A+ with odd twist

Post by SMMAssociates »

Ray:

If you're referring to my POA problems, I don't think they realized that they could copy the fool thing and "certify" the copies, rather than having me have to bounce it back to El Paso (and kill another week or so).

Silly rule....

The Probate Judge is a friend of mine, but I don't have any connection in the Title office. My lawyer's advice, as I twisted the garrotte, was to just do it their way to avoid further craziness.

Turned out that I needed three POA's, and managed to get a clerk who was totally clueless, but between her supervisor and myself (armed with my lawyer's suggestions), we got it done. Then the "Check Engine" light came on about a week after I started driving it. Still haven't dealt with that. It runs fine, but it's been so miserable out lately that I've barely driven it. Still, it's better than no car at all (the wife decided to wear out my car), and all the other instrumentation says that there's nothing wrong. (Temperature, voltage, gas mileage, etc.) I think one of the sensors got mucked up.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
mreising

Post by mreising »

Stu: The check engine light is usually not for critical issues like oil pressure, temperature, etc. Rather, it is for other sensors as you surmised; things like the O2 sensor, or EGR valve. Those can affect emissions, fuel economy and drivability but it will still function okay. Sometimes it is as simple as a loose gas cap, or a bad gasket (o-ring) on the gas cap. You can get an auto parts store to read the codes that are stored for free and have an idea of what it may need. Most of them won't reset the codes but if you repair the problem it will eventually clear itself after a certain number of starts, or warm-up cycles, or sometimes thru other simple methods. Or, you can buy a code reader for $30 and reset it yourself.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Curzyk wrote:
ohiophotog wrote:I got pulled over two blocks from my house at 11 pm the other day. Apparently I failed to activate my turn signal when turning from a stop sign. Not a sole in sight yet this officer was hiding somewhere close.
I have a friend that only uses his turn signals when he thinks it is necessary. One time he didn't use them when turning, I reminded him about it and he said "There was nobody there to signal to!" I had to point out to him: Turn signals are also for people you don't see.
I was riding with a buddy when he blew through an intersection without stopping for the red light.

"What the heck are you doing?", I asked.

"It's okay. My brother drives like this", he said.

When we came to another red light, he drove through that one, too.

"Dude! The light!", I exclaimed.

"It's okay. My brother drives like this", he said.

Then, when we came to a green light, my buddy hits his brakes and stops right before the intersection.

"Now what?", I inquired.

"Oh. My brother might be coming the other way."
MyWifeSaidYes
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mark:

I've been too cheap to buy the "box" :D....

The Caddy's computer system is smart enough to tell you about a gas cap issue! Drove me nuts a couple years ago when I didn't quite get the cap back on and it lit up about a day later. Put the cap back, and it reset itself about four days later....

Mom wasn't able to drive for several years before she passed. We used the car as needed, mostly to haul her around. When Sherri's Pontiac gave up the ghost, I decided to give her the Caddy - it only had about 38,000 miles on it, and since I barely go anywhere, figured that she'd wear it out before it just rotted away. With the license plate mess, she put about two years of "me" on the Lincoln in six months, which blew away my plans to drive it for another five years, even though it had about 94,000 miles on it. SO, she's going to destroy the Lincoln first, and then we'll find a way to buy her a rice box, and I probably can get at least another five years out of the Caddy. Downside to a '98 DeVille and a '99 Town Car is you really never know what'll fall out. We've put new brakes and tires into the Caddy more than once simply because there wasn't much left of what was there.

Then there was the time that the Caddy lit up for mom: "FIX ENGINE NOW OR YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!" She had it towed about 20 miles to the dealership. Dead battery.... You actually can do a dance on the dash buttons to display some of these codes. You're supposed to be able to reset the "Check Engine" light from there, too, but mine won't do it. No idea why....

I used to do a lot of minor maintenance to my cars - oil, plugs, points, etc. I can almost find some of that stuff in the Lincoln. The Caddy's got a transverse mounted big 8 (front wheel drive), and I suppose those parts are in there someplace, but I haven't found them yet. (OK, no points anymore :D.)

Back about '73, I had a brand new Rambler Ambassador that just plain wouldn't run when cold. It'd start easily enough, but tended to get stupid in about five miles if I had to stop at a certain (nasty) intersection near the house. I picked up a Heathkit Electronic Ignition kit, and that fixed the problem nicely. I decided to put one on my wife's Pinto. Got the kit, built it up, and went outside one morning to install it. Hiding in there someplace was an electronic ignition.... OK, I'll put it in dad's Pacer. It had one, too.... I gave up and put the thing on the shelf. No idea what I did with it at this point....

KInd of expensive, but we had to replace a tire on the Lincoln the other day. It'd been on the car since '99.... I remember getting one season out of a set of tires, and it wasn't because I was particularly hard on them. (I did pick up a lot of nails, but it's easy to put a plug in a tire. I got really good at it.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

evan price wrote:
And then there was the time I got stopped by a county Sheriff driving a "Self Assembled Motor Vehicle".
HIlarity ensued...let's just say that open for debate was if the Ohio Vehicle Code actually requires a roof, doors, windows and windshield on a "Station Wagon" when the driver is wearing goggles and seat belts.
my son had an old trashed car.. took a sawzall and cut the roof off right at the top of the doors. no windshield no roof...I told him he was gonna get in trouble with the law even though he was just running it around our little village. I called the sheriff and the BMV and was assured that he was 100% legal as long as he had lights( signals and brake) and belts.
ArmyMedic90

Post by ArmyMedic90 »

I ran a plate once (by simply looking at the plate) and the LEADS hit came back to a vehicle that matched the description of the vehicle I had stopped down to the exact make, model, year, and color. I went up and informed for the reason of the stop and asked for the usual information. I returned to my cruiser and realized the registered owners didn't match. I ran the plate again and the hit yielded the same results. Then I looked at the registration paperwork and realized that some dirt on the plate made one of the letters look different (I think it was an E but looked like an F for something). I ran the plate that was listed on the registration and it came back to the right vehicle. When I reapproached I informed the driver that a substantial amount of mud on his plate made it unreadable. I then said that he should probably wash it off so no one would run his plate incorrectly and accidentally think he had a warrant or something. It got the driver laughing and I concluded my stop.

Weird things happen.
U.S. Army Combat Medic
Sworn LEO
Nationally Registered EMT
NRA Certified RSO