Had My Carry Gun Stolen

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: Had My Carry Gun Stolen

Post by Tweed Ring »

I carry an inexpensive revolver. If I lose it to theft, or if it's confiscated, I have another, just like it.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

troy bilt wrote:Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

When ever I have to leave my firearm in the car I usually take the slide, and barrel with me. I do not want someone stealing the tool I use for perfection and using it to do harm to others.
I find it curious that you take two items that can be replaced via basic online parts orders rather than the part with the serial number?
Edit: Mind you, it's still better than a fully assembled and loaded gun..
Last edited by Curzyk on Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Depends what kind of gun you have...example ..Glocks SN are on the barrel and the slide and the frame...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Curzyk wrote:

When ever I have to leave my firearm in the car I usually take the slide, and barrel with me. I do not want someone stealing the tool I use for perfection and using it to do harm to others.
I find it curious that you take two items that can be replaced via basic online parts orders rather than the part with the serial number?
I find it odd that one would mess with taking a gun apart because they have to disarm. Every manipulation of the gun has a chance for a negligent discharge.

If someone steals my carry gun, I'll report it to the police, choose one of my other guns, collect the insurance money, and buy another. Yes, not everyone has the luxury of multiple guns, but I'd rather have two Ruger LCPs instead of one Glock. If something happens to the primary, you always have a backup stored somewhere. A lot carry because they may need to use it, but not a lot think of what happens when they do use it. FYI...even if used legally, that gun is probably gone for at least 6 months.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Some here think the OP shouldn't have been carrying while others don't agree with his mode of stowing. As far as I see it, he's followed the letter of the law, like it or not. The reason there is yet another stolen gun on the street s because of the rotten law(s) that say he can carry while north of some invisable line but go south of the line it's a felony.

If the law abiding OP was allowed to carry in that frat house there would be one less gun on the street and one safer frat house.

Someday....
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
pjmurph

Post by pjmurph »

I do have a trunk less vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee to be exact, so once you're in you're in. In the past when I've had to keep my gun in my car I've kept it in a small sentry safe, but that safe wasn't bolted down so it really didn't do much good. I have to check my status with the NRA, I know I bought a 1 year membership but I'm not sure when/if that expired. And unfortunately my vehicle was only the second one to be broken into, and the first was a car that was unlocked so it wasn't clear that there was a problem at that point.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" -Edmund Burke

"Punishment is now unfashionable... because it creates moral distinctions among men, which, to the democratic mind, are odious. We prefer a meaningless collective guilt to a meaningful individual responsibility." -Thomas Szasz
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Whirlwind06 wrote:
glocksmith wrote:
On a related note. I'm certain the OP had a minivan or other trunkless style vehicle - as no one in their right mind would leave their weapon in the cockpit...when the completely safe trunk option was available.
Don't most sedans nowadays have the handy button on the dash to pop the trunk? I'm sure it was a smash and grab kind of theft but if they can open the trunk I would think it would be thieved as well.
Most remote trunk releases are either electrically or cable operated; since I don't feel the need for that option, I disable them at the trunk lock. Another security problem is having rear seats that can be folded forward to gain access to the trunk. I disable those also but I can still open them, if necessary, with the application of a proprietary tool. In the trunk, a heavy-duty mini-safe tethered with a high-carbon cable comprises my firearm storage system.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

gaptrick wrote:Some here think the OP shouldn't have been carrying while others don't agree with his mode of stowing. As far as I see it, he's followed the letter of the law, like it or not. The reason there is yet another stolen gun on the street s because of the rotten law(s) that say he can carry while north of some invisable line but go south of the line it's a felony.

If the law abiding OP was allowed to carry in that frat house there would be one less gun on the street and one safer frat house.

Someday....
This.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

CroManGun wrote:Most remote trunk releases are either electrically or cable operated; since I don't feel the need for that option, I disable them at the trunk lock. Another security problem is having rear seats that can be folded forward to gain access to the trunk. I disable those also but I can still open them, if necessary, with the application of a proprietary tool. In the trunk, a heavy-duty mini-safe tethered with a high-carbon cable comprises my firearm storage system.
Nothing's foolproof I guess - and if somebody really wants in - they're eventually gonna get in. The key word, however, is eventually. Probably 90 something percent of break-ins, both auto and home, are usually hit-and-run affairs with the BG in a hurry to grab anything of value and to get gone before he's discovered or before police can respond. I'd say that, in the case of vehicles, break-ins are mainly spontaneous affairs carried out by opportunists. They walk along looking in cars for unlocked doors, or anything in plain view. I once worked security downtown and used to watch people do this in broad daylight. Some would throw a rock through the window and then retreat and wait for a few minutes - and not returning to retrieve the goods until confident that the coast was clear. I'd wager that in a typical parking lot setting, they're not going to take the additional time (and risk) to try and access a trunk which may or may not have anything worthwhile in it. At least in my years of working security, I've never had anyone report items stolen from the trunk. Still the safest option IMHO if one cannot take their weapon with them.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
fisher

Post by fisher »

When I need to leave a carry gun in my car, I lock it in the glovebox. I don't know if that would stop somebody from getting it, but it is an added layer of security they might not want to go through.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

fisher wrote:When I need to leave a carry gun in my car, I lock it in the glovebox. I don't know if that would stop somebody from getting it, but it is an added layer of security they might not want to go through.
I suspect that is one of the first places a smash & grab is going to go for - and unless yours is more secure than mine, it doesn't take much to pop it open, locked or not.

I use a Nano vault cabled to the seat frame and located in an inconspicuous location. It won't stop a determined thief with the right tools / enough time, but it should, hopefully, make a smash & grab move on which is about all I can hope for I think.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Curzyk wrote:

I find it odd that one would mess with taking a gun apart because they have to disarm. Every manipulation of the gun has a chance for a negligent discharge.

If someone steals my carry gun, I'll report it to the police, choose one of my other guns, collect the insurance money, and buy another. Yes, not everyone has the luxury of multiple guns, but I'd rather have two Ruger LCPs instead of one Glock. If something happens to the primary, you always have a backup stored somewhere. A lot carry because they may need to use it, but not a lot think of what happens when they do use it. FYI...even if used legally, that gun is probably gone for at least 6 months.
I could live with shooting a hole in the seat of my ride. I could not live with knowing i did not do all that I could to keep my firearm out of the hands of a bad guy.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustaShooter wrote:
fisher wrote:When I need to leave a carry gun in my car, I lock it in the glovebox. I don't know if that would stop somebody from getting it, but it is an added layer of security they might not want to go through.
I suspect that is one of the first places a smash & grab is going to go for - and unless yours is more secure than mine, it doesn't take much to pop it open, locked or not.
Actually, in my experience, there are two kinds of thieves that go through vehicles.
1) This is what we call gifters. This is where the vehicle owner leaves their car unlocked. At this point, the entire vehicle is free game. Nothing even needs to be visible inside the vehicle and the thief will go through anything and everything that is unlocked. They may even take the entry time to try and pry something inside the vehicle open. They've gained quiet entry and therefore will put some extra time inside the vehicle. Simple solution? Lock the vehicle.
2) The second category is the dedicated thief. This is the true "smash and grab." Their goal is quick entry, quick exit. Vehicle windows are easy to smash and for a reason, your safety. These thieves will only hit a vehicle if they see something visible and they will only go for that item as the process of getting into the vehicle generally makes some amount of noise. GPS on the dash? Change in the cupholder? iPod on the seat? Christmas presents on the back seat? Smash the window, grab that item, and go.

Therefore, if one locks their vehicle and hides the gun and hides all other valuables in the vehicle, their vehicle will not be a target.
troy bilt wrote:I could live with shooting a hole in the seat of my ride. I could not live with knowing i did not do all that I could to keep my firearm out of the hands of a bad guy.
I can't figure out how one easily disassembles a gun sitting in a car. Too confined of a space IMO where the chances of shooting oneself in a leg is too high. Just my two cents and not something I've really ever tried.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
Actually, in my experience, there are two kinds of thieves that go through vehicles.
1) This is what we call gifters. This is where the vehicle owner leaves their car unlocked. At this point, the entire vehicle is free game. Nothing even needs to be visible inside the vehicle and the thief will go through anything and everything that is unlocked. They may even take the entry time to try and pry something inside the vehicle open. They've gained quiet entry and therefore will put some extra time inside the vehicle. Simple solution? Lock the vehicle.
2) The second category is the dedicated thief. This is the true "smash and grab." Their goal is quick entry, quick exit. Vehicle windows are easy to smash and for a reason, your safety. These thieves will only hit a vehicle if they see something visible and they will only go for that item as the process of getting into the vehicle generally makes some amount of noise. GPS on the dash? Change in the cupholder? iPod on the seat? Christmas presents on the back seat? Smash the window, grab that item, and go.

Therefore, if one locks their vehicle and hides the gun and hides all other valuables in the vehicle, their vehicle will not be a target.
troy bilt wrote:I could live with shooting a hole in the seat of my ride. I could not live with knowing i did not do all that I could to keep my firearm out of the hands of a bad guy.
I can't figure out how one easily disassembles a gun sitting in a car. Too confined of a space IMO where the chances of shooting oneself in a leg is too high. Just my two cents and not something I've really ever tried.
Really? Glocks and XDs are pretty easy to field strip. Don't point it at your leg and don't put your finger inside the trigger guard.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

BEAR! wrote: Really? Glocks and XDs are pretty easy to field strip. Don't point it at your leg and don't put your finger inside the trigger guard.
I agree they are easy. But you're sitting in a small space which ultimately requires you to point the gun at your body part (most likely your thigh) at some point. I agree with the don't put the finger inside the trigger, but s*** happens. I'm picturing drawing the gun, sweeping my right leg to disassemble in front of me, and someone coming up and knocking on my car window startling me. Ooops then bang.

I say if a thief wants it, let them have the whole gun. At least you can get them with a third degree felony theft that way instead of just misdemeanor theft. Not sure how the courts would take that he stole just the lower half of a gun. If they can't get you for a firearm in a CPZ by only having half the gun, highly doubt they can get a suspect for firearm theft if only having half the gun.