Had My Carry Gun Stolen

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

XDSC9G30

Re: Had My Carry Gun Stolen

Post by XDSC9G30 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
BEAR! wrote: Really? Glocks and XDs are pretty easy to field strip. Don't point it at your leg and don't put your finger inside the trigger guard.
I agree they are easy. But you're sitting in a small space which ultimately requires you to point the gun at your body part (most likely your thigh) at some point. I agree with the don't put the finger inside the trigger, but s*** happens. I'm picturing drawing the gun, sweeping my right leg to disassemble in front of me, and someone coming up and knocking on my car window startling me. Ooops then bang.

I say if a thief wants it, let them have the whole gun. At least you can get them with a third degree felony theft that way instead of just misdemeanor theft. Not sure how the courts would take that he stole just the lower half of a gun. If they can't get you for a firearm in a CPZ by only having half the gun, highly doubt they can get a suspect for firearm theft if only having half the gun.

A couple issues.

I have field stripped my carry pistol for similar reasons. There is no reason to strip the weapon in front of you. I carry a Glock and can field strip it blindfolded and to my side. So I simply keep it to my side while field stripping it. I never sweep my legs or any other body part, I do sweep my center console and floor though. I have only ever done this with someone else standing outside the vehicle, which is usually why I must strip a weapon our safes in our cars aren't big enough for two full size pistols. I would be warned if someone was coming up.

The frame is the firearm right? So if you take the frame into a CPZ wouldn't that be carrying a firearm? While you can buy a barrel/slide and everything but the frame without a 4473 you need a 4473 to buy the frame. You are also assuming that the police would ever catch the thief who stole the firearm, realistically how often does that happen? So the actual idea of police and the charges they could bring is essentially irrelevant to having the firearm or parts being stolen.
JohnZ

Post by JohnZ »

I really wish the place posting the CPZ sign could be held liable if a firearm was stolen because of their policy.

I feel for your loss and hope you can find something affordable enough to replace it with.
Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

I feel your pain man. I had my Jeep broken into at UC years ago. They stole my stereo system, music CDs, and my bookbag (to carry the items, LOL), but they left my school books, illiterate fools! :D They punched out my passenger side window at night, unlocked the door, and took what they wanted. Car break-ins, robberies, assaults are normal in UC campus area. What I suggest you do, keep your FUTURE gun in a LOCKED glove compartment. Most of these guys are common crackheads or kids and aren't walking around with a crowbar. They take anything they see, but don't have the tools to get a locked glove box open. 2nd choice is keep your gun in trunk, HIDDEN, maybe stash it where the spare tire is under the floor board. Having a $500+ gun stolen blows, but next time be SAFER. Also don't leave valuables out in your car, like lose change, I-Pads, laptops, etc, or pretty much anything. They'll usually window shop first and pick the cars that have something they can of interest. They can't still what they can't find or see. I hope you are able to replace your Glock Asap.
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

JohnZ wrote:I really wish the place posting the CPZ sign could be held liable if a firearm was stolen because of their policy.
Or we could just take some personal responsibility and make certain it doesn't happen in the first place.

I guess it's easier to have it be someone else's fault.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Brian D. wrote:That's been going on around the UC frat houses since I was college aged, heck probably since YOU were college aged, Carmen.
When Carmen was college-aged, it was OK to carry a gun with you as long as there was no powder in the pan. :P
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Voice

Post by Voice »

jabeatty wrote:
JohnZ wrote:I really wish the place posting the CPZ sign could be held liable if a firearm was stolen because of their policy.
Or we could just take some personal responsibility and make certain it doesn't happen in the first place.

I'm curious, at what point does he become responsible for having something stolen from his locked car?
You see, I always thought the responsibility there belonged to the *thief*, not the victim.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Voice wrote:
jabeatty wrote:

I'm curious, at what point does he become responsible for having something stolen from his locked car?
You see, I always thought the responsibility there belonged to the *thief*, not the victim.
My point was that it was an even greater stretch to make it someone else's fault (beyond the thief and the original owner).
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

gaptrick wrote:Some here think the OP shouldn't have been carrying while others don't agree with his mode of stowing. As far as I see it, he's followed the letter of the law, like it or not. The reason there is yet another stolen gun on the street s because of the rotten law(s) that say he can carry while north of some invisable line but go south of the line it's a felony.

If the law abiding OP was allowed to carry in that frat house there would be one less gun on the street and one safer frat house.

Someday....
I'm with gaptrick on this one. OP did nothing wrong other than be anywhere near UC :P
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

So, I may be much older than college age, but I remember the restricted finances. The whole gun vault thing is just not going to happen...so you need to be smart as a student. Get an old text book, cut out the inside pages to make a case, and use it to hold your gun. You can leave that in the passenger side footwell and no thief is going to touch it. You can also create a spot under the rear seat too...but it can't run afoul of the secret compartments law...maybe just a slit in the fabric and a thin fabric pistol case that you can slide into the seat (and thus no chance of an ND).

That whole field stripping the gun is way over-thinking the situation, and just not totally realistic for most people. You want a solution where you can store the gun without even unloading it, in the everyday real world. Bless you if you do it, but it is kind of dumb. And I don't say very often on this forum.

Having two guns is not a bad idea, and can be done by having your primary good gun and holster and then picking up, say, a Kel-tec 380 or 9mm at a gun show etc. it's like insurance....you hope you don't have to go to there, but happy to have
It if you do. (I have a couple of Keltecs, and they are solid guns within the parameters of their design brief) You used be able to pick up 38 Spl wheelgun for this job, but they have gone up in price in the last few years. Cheap guns are autos now....maybe a Taurus or a hi-point fits that bill. I'd look for a Kel-tec 380 or a Taurus 38 at a gun show.

I'd rather spend my limited funds on a good gun/holster and then a back up...rather than a gun vault. I'm not the criminal here. The criminal is the criminal.

And no, the OP didn't do anything wrong...the thief did the wrong thing. The OP just got educated, that's all.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Put the gun under the hood...thieves never look there....yes I know, another nonsensical post...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Put the gun under the hood...thieves never look there....yes I know, another nonsensical post...
Unless they want the battery.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I was thinking secret compartment, but that would be against the law..? :(
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
markshere2

Post by markshere2 »

In my minivan there is a chain run through a seat frame member.
There is a metal toolbox with a padlock on it.
The chain goes through the padlock too.

Cables are pretty easy to cut ( that's how they get them adjusted to length).

It meets my objectives of
theft deterrence.
forcing officer friendly to get a warrant or leave evidence of violating my 4th AMENDMENT RIGHTS.
keeping a tool kit in the beater so I can limp it home if necessary.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

markshere2 wrote:In my minivan there is a chain run through a seat frame member.
There is a metal toolbox with a padlock on it.
The chain goes through the padlock too.

Cables are pretty easy to cut ( that's how they get them adjusted to length).

It meets my objectives of
theft deterrence.
forcing officer friendly to get a warrant or leave evidence of violating my 4th AMENDMENT RIGHTS.
Uh, no. If there is probable cause to believe that a padlocked container in a motor vehicle contains evidence of crime [United States v Ross, 456 U.S. 798 (1982)], or if there is valid reason to inventory a vehicle, and department policy allows inventory of closed containers [South Dakota v. Opperman, 428 U.S. 364 (1976); Florida v. Wells, 495 U.S. 1 (1990)], the only warrant needed is bolt cutters.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
OvertaxedVoter

Post by OvertaxedVoter »

mreising wrote:Sorry about the loss of your gun. Are you an NRA member? If so, you've got an automatic $1000 firearms theft coverage as part of your $25 (discounted) membership.
According to the NRA website, the deal is even better... $2,500 coverage, not $1,000.

===============
As an NRA member, you are eligible to receive $2,500 ArmsCare Firearms Insurance.

With ArmsCare Firearms Insurance, guns and accessories are protected from the following:

Direct physical loss
Damage
Fire
Theft (Theft from a vehicle is covered when it is the result of breaking and entering
a locked vehicle or locked portion of the vehicle.)

Firearms do not need to be scheduled and serial numbers are not required.

http://www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/armscare.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
===============