Fayette County 5 Stars A++++++++

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bogart34

Fayette County 5 Stars A++++++++

Post by bogart34 »

This was my first inform, and I was very relieved by how kind and understanding the officer was.

My fiance's sister was driving south on I-71 late at night when her car broke down. Her phone was nearly dead of course, but had just enough battery to call us for help. She was terrified, suffering a simultaneous asthma and anxiety attack (not a good combo). I told her I was on my way as fast as I could drive. Knowing it was late at night on I-71, I thought it prudent to grab my pistol before leaving.
On the way down, my fiance contacted the state highway patrol. I was driving her down from Ohio State, she was about 30 mins out. Upon arrival, I calmly approached the officer, informed him and told him that the pistol was on my right hip. He just said "Thanks for letting me know", and then stayed until the tow truck arrived.
Before we arrived at the scene, he was kind enough to let my fiance's sister sit in the cruiser where it was warm, and calmed her down. Not only was this guy very gun friendly, he was also an example of a fantastic officer. I got his business card to send in a compliment to his department.
Keep calm and carry on.
1911 lover.
Dorsal Spine

Re: Fayette County 5 Stars A++++++++

Post by Dorsal Spine »

For one reason or another I've managed to notify to both the city and the county law enforcement officers in Fayette County several times. They have all been gun friendly. One night it was an older officer with a very young looking officer in tow. I notified and turned away to unlock the building (they were answering an alarm call). I overheard the young officer ask the older one if it bothered him that I was armed. He laughed and said with all the crazy people they deal with I was the last person he would be worried about. It was nice to know that armed citizen fit the good guy box in his mind.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

There are always exceptions of course but typically it seems that officers in rural counties are more gun friendly, especially in the southern part of the state.
bogart34

Post by bogart34 »

I even sent an email to the Fayette County Sheriff giving my compliments to how he handled the situation. The sheriff was kind enough to respond and assures me that the deputy will be commended. It is nice to know that there are very caring people who work for law enforcement.
Keep calm and carry on.
1911 lover.
propertymanager

Post by propertymanager »

bogart34 wrote: Knowing it was late at night on I-71, I thought it prudent to grab my pistol before leaving.
It is ALWAYS prudent to grab your pistol before leaving!
Mike
OFCC Member
bogart34

Post by bogart34 »

I suppose I should have been clearer, it was a scenario where it was EXTRA prudent to carry the pistol. I already carry everywhere I legally can. My fiance is not completely on board with me carrying a weapon everywhere, and I made a point to her that this is why I got the CHL in the first place.
Keep calm and carry on.
1911 lover.
Ray

Post by Ray »

propertymanager wrote:
bogart34 wrote: Knowing it was late at night on I-71, I thought it prudent to grab my pistol before leaving.
I always grab my pistol before I go anywhere even to the corner.... :lol: :lol:

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
Ray

Post by Ray »

bogart34 wrote:I suppose I should have been clearer, it was a scenario where it was EXTRA prudent to carry the pistol. I already carry everywhere I legally can. My fiance is not completely on board with me carrying a weapon everywhere, and I made a point to her that this is why I got the CHL in the first place.
She will come around sooner than later...............

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ray wrote:
propertymanager wrote:
I always grab my pistol before I go anywhere even to the corner.... :lol: :lol:
I rarely have to grab mine since it is almost always in my holster, on my side...

Different approaches for different folks I guess, but I put mine on in the morning when I get dressed and take it off just before bed, and in between it is within reach. I don't intend to engage in a race to the gun safe should anything go horribly wrong when I'm at home.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Ray

Post by Ray »

It is ALWAYS prudent to grab your pistol before leaving![/quote]

I always grab my pistol before I go anywhere even to the corner.... :lol: :lol: [/quote]
I rarely have to grab mine since it is almost always in my holster, on my side...

Different approaches for different folks I guess, but I put mine on in the morning when I get dressed and take it off just before bed, and in between it is within reach. I don't intend to engage in a race to the gun safe should anything go horribly wrong when I'm at home.[/quote]

Yep what you said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :) :)

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
bogart34

Post by bogart34 »

I hope she comes around eventually as well. Only reason that it wasn't on my hip at the time was that I had just come back from an event at Ohio State University. Statutory no carry, and the last thing I need is someone calling the police if they see me transfer my pistol to the lockbox in my trunk. I left it in the lockbox at my apartment when we went to the event.
Keep calm and carry on.
1911 lover.