Guy With Empty Holster..???

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ohio48
*** Banned ***

Re: Guy With Empty Holster..???

Post by Ohio48 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Asking something positive is different then asking something negative...
Sorry I didn't see any negative questions being asked by noname, just why he wasn't carrying. I don't think that is a negative question, but if you asked "Why are you carrying", now that could be thought of as a negative question.
Mark S.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
-- Thomas Jefferson
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Why isn't the gun in your holster, because that was the real meaning of the question , is not a compliment like asking questions about someone's great Cycle...

Or complimenting the guy on how great his wife's figure is. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Stryker74 wrote:
noname wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:I open carried my empty holster at Toledo Glass Bowl a couple weeks ago, it was very hot and I took my cover garment off, my gun was locked in my car. I don't know if anyone noticed (I'm sure they did as it was quite prevalent), but I didn't care one whitt about it.
I can understand that, You had went into a CPZ and could not carry. Also, was hot and you needed to take a layer off, therefore exposing your holster. Totally get it.

I just thought it strange seeing this inside a walmart and on top of that, the particular conversation that followed. I have no idea how the 1st cooment from Tweed even goes with what I posted.
No to put words in the mouth of Mr. Ring, but I believe that he was getting at that the guy made a choice not to carry. His choice, his life. I personally went through a period of time where I did not carry everywhere all the time. It was too inconvenient to put the holster on, and then put the gun in the holster just to run to the store - that kind of thing. Longer trips, sure - I carried.

As I got older and wiser, I decided that it was not a great habit I had gotten myself into - so I changed it. I now make it a habit to put on the holster and gun every day as I get dressed - even if I don't plan to leave the house (like yesterday - I did not step out of the house other than to put trash in the can).

Being the salty old dude* that I am now, I just accept that people make choices that I don't understand - and I try not to spend too much brain power trying to understand. I manage me, and do the best I can do with that.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*salty old dude = anyone who stands against the young anti's, speaking with logic and facts. This includes women as well, according to the anti's.
Nailed it... last PITP, I brought 3 guys with me, one of whom is a retried cop, and one a recent combat vet. Third guy was a political guy; all of us had valid Ohio CHL's. One of my guys is big into open carry. Two of us are strong into concealed carry. Some of us carried; some of chose not to carry. Nobody's business but ours...
ArmyAndNavyVet

Post by ArmyAndNavyVet »

He could have been an off-duty police officer, practicing carrying an empty holster for the next time he wanted to attend an NFL game. :lol:
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Viet Nam Combat Veteran, 1967-1968, I Corps (Army)
Beirut 1983 (Navy)
Lấy máu Nga Hoa mà hòa rượu đế
Lấy xác cộng xây cầu bên hải
Lấy râu cụ Hồ làm bàn chải đánh giầy
Chặt đầu việt cộng mà nấu canh chua
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

ArmyAndNavyVet wrote:He could have been an off-duty police officer, practicing carrying an empty holster for the next time he wanted to attend an NFL game. :lol:
{Channeling Chris Berman} "This_post_could_go_all_the_way! Touchdown, ArmyAndNavyVet!"
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
noname

Post by noname »

ArmyAndNavyVet wrote:He could have been an off-duty police officer, practicing carrying an empty holster for the next time he wanted to attend an NFL game. :lol:
LOL..This guy was most surely no Police Officer. If so, would have also been my 1st time seeing an officer with arms full of low budget/cheap jail like tattoos along with tattoos on the face and neck.
I believe my God is sovereign, but man still has been given free will/freedom of choice..therefore my faith in God does not contradict my choice to carry firearms for self defense & protection.

(JOSH)
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

OK - this might be a bit slanted off the topic, but it is on point in my head as I type this - so here goes...

At the Columbus gun show this past weekend, I had a guy stop by the table and strike up a conversation. He said that there is no reason that anyone needs a magazine that hold 30 rounds - it just fuels the Newtown type incidents. I could have interpreted that as rude, and I am almost certain that others would have.

Point is - rather than see it as rude, I engaged him in conversation. I redirected to my points, stating the stance that Senator Portman took on these things - improved mental health objectives, and better enforcement of current gun laws. We parted ways that day on a friendly note, and with an understanding of each others view.

In this case, noname had a conversation with a guy in Walmart about his empty holster. If neither took it as rude or intrusive (and it does not sound like it based on the exchange noname stated) - then it was a good conversation. While noname might still question in his mind why the guy would ever walk around with an empty holster - he had a positive encounter it seems. (And that is how I relate it to my encounter I describe above.)

Everyone has a different viewpoint, and the spectrum ranges - even amongst "our own" on here. Geesh, just look at all the grief we give those open carry guys! :twisted:

Seriously though - peace is achieved through harmony, and all that crap. When you can walk away from an conversation without either party being (or outwardly seeming to be) angry - then it was a good discussion in my mind.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Although My lifestyle allows me to mostly carry between the time I put my pants on and take my pants off, I can see where it could, like it or not, be a pain in the butt for some to carry.

Some can't carry at work... Some OC W/O a CHL making driving difficult to do legally... Some patronixe CPZ's and get tired of stowing it 6 times a day... along with whatever personal reasons they might have to just not carry that hammer. They can be heavy and cumbersome. I personally know two people who have their license but have never carried. In fact, one doesn't even own a gun.

I get that. I don't personally agree, but I'm good with it. My wife wouldn't think of carrying a gun OR an empty holster and I don't begrudge her for her decision, so I certainly wouldn't look cross eyed at the fella in Walmart.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Stryker74 wrote:OK - this might be a bit slanted off the topic, but it is on point in my head as I type this - so here goes...

At the Columbus gun show this past weekend, I had a guy stop by the table and strike up a conversation. He said that there is no reason that anyone needs a magazine that hold 30 rounds - it just fuels the Newtown type incidents. I could have interpreted that as rude, and I am almost certain that others would have.
You make a good point. While I might have been thinking to myself 'Oh great, another Fudd' it wouldn't have been productive to say out loud "Eh, what's up Doc? How's the wabbit and duck huntin' goin' for ya, Elmer?

Sometimes a little patience and explanation, if you can hold someone's attention longer than five seconds*, can change a mind, or at least open it a bit.

*Harder and harder to do in the smart phone age, but that's a topic for a rant someplace else.

********************************************************************************
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Your guy was giving his opinion of the 30round mag...no harm in that....He did not entend to be rude...even though he 's wrong.

Noname's conversation went well with this guy because the guy, if you read what he said, really didn't give a crap about anything..4. Questions on the same subject after being answered that way would of made me head the other way..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Ohio48
*** Banned ***

Post by Ohio48 »

Carmen let me get the door for you :roll:
Mark S.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
-- Thomas Jefferson
fisher

Post by fisher »

I have seen two random empty holsters.
One was in a CPZ doctors office. He still had his extra mag.
The other was in a non CPZ liquor store. I almost asked him if he dropped something, and needed help looking for his missing gun, but in the end I just let him do his thing.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

fisher wrote:I have seen two random empty holsters.
The other was in a non CPZ liquor store. I almost asked him if he dropped something, and needed help looking for his missing gun, but in the end I just let him do his thing.
You might have been doing that second person a favor. As you know the whole 'Class D liquor license off limits to carry' thing has evolved through the years, some CHL'ers weren't keeping up. Only been a few weeks ago I brought a fellow licensee up to speed, he had still been leaving his gun in the car when going into restaurants that served alcohol. He doesn't imbibe and was very glad for the update. I sort of chided him for letting himself get out of touch with the laws. For all he knew the law could have gotten more restrictive in some way and he wouldn't have known that either.

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Brian D. wrote:
fisher wrote:I have seen two random empty holsters.
You might have been doing that second person a favor. As you know the whole 'Class D liquor license off limits to carry' thing has evolved through the years, some CHL'ers weren't keeping up. Only been a few weeks ago I brought a fellow licensee up to speed, he had still been leaving his gun in the car when going into restaurants that served alcohol. He doesn't imbibe and was very glad for the update. I sort of chided him for letting himself get out of touch with the laws. For all he knew the law could have gotten more restrictive in some way and he wouldn't have known that either.

Exactly why we have one of those class D signs on the table at the gun shows - to clear those issues up. It creates a few conversations at the shows.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed_S

Post by Ed_S »

noname, he was telling you (without directly telling you) that he didn't want to talk to you. He was giving you blow-off answers. Why? Only he knows.
Ed_S from Youngstown Ohio

It's not WHAT you carry - it's THAT you carry!