Guy With Empty Holster..???

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

noname

Guy With Empty Holster..???

Post by noname »

Mods..Im taking a shot on this to post under this particular section. It was an encounter, please move if could be under a more sutiable discussion.

I just MUST ask for some thoughts from everyone on this, as I have never seen this, it boggles my mind and I cant make sense of it.

Last night in Macedonia Walmart. I am very observant and do just so happen to always glance to see if I ever spot someone carrying. It has just become a habit, I always shoot a glance to the side of most peoples waist areas. Im getting a toothbrush, notice a pretty big guy with alot of tattoos (such as myself, I am also into tattoos, so he grabbed my attention) and I quickly notice what appeared to be a holster. He was far away and his arm kept getting in the way, I thought "is that really a holster, if so is he really OCing, and if so I must go and introduce myself to him and give him a "thumbs up".

I mossie my way over there as I am looking at the sugar hes standing in front of, and low and behold it IS a holster..an EMPTY ONE! As I continued to grab a sugar and act like I was looking at it, I was very confused and thought "WHY IS HIS HOLSTER EMPTY WITH HIS SHIRT TUCKED BEHING IT". I had to ask.

Now this guys description, your typical guy from the streets aka (the hood). I dont say that simply based on his overall appearance, but also after talking with him. The conversation went as such...

Me..My man, I just gotta ask..why are you carrying an empty holster?

Guy..Ah man, you know..I just get sick of carrying that bit*# around all the time.

Me..In my mind, are you stupid or retarded? Out of mouth..I kinda laughed, But whats an empty holster gonna do for you if you need your firearm?

Guy..Shi*#, I mean..Im good with my hands and I just get sick of always carrying it around..it gets annoying.

Me..(Im just really trying to understand this, which the more we talk, the more I am confused and just want to make sense of it) Im excellent with my hands too, but I never leave home without my firearm, there may be a time when my hands are not physically able to stop a threat.

Guy..Sh*#, man..I dont know..fu*# it, ya know.

Me..Nah, I dont know man. Im a pro gun rights guy and just had to ask, I never seen anyone carrying an empty holster like that. Do you like that FOBUS holster though? Said on purpose, becaus eit was NOT a Fobus holster, but a SERPA.

Guy..Yeah, its cool.

I told him be safe and walked away. Confused as to what just happened. Didnt even catch me calling his Serpa holster a Fobus..I am just curious as to what some of yalls thoughts are here. My wife said he was probably just "perped out" and carrying a holster pretending he had a gun too..lol. I dont know. I dont get it.
I believe my God is sovereign, but man still has been given free will/freedom of choice..therefore my faith in God does not contradict my choice to carry firearms for self defense & protection.

(JOSH)
Tweed Ring

Re: Guy With Empty Holster..???

Post by Tweed Ring »

Life is replete with choices. I carry when I decide to carry. Because of my chosen method of concealment, no one knows and few, even those close to me, can tell.

My life - my choice.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I open carried my empty holster at Toledo Glass Bowl a couple weeks ago, it was very hot and I took my cover garment off, my gun was locked in my car. I don't know if anyone noticed (I'm sure they did as it was quite prevalent), but I didn't care one whitt about it.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
noname

Post by noname »

Javelin Man wrote:I open carried my empty holster at Toledo Glass Bowl a couple weeks ago, it was very hot and I took my cover garment off, my gun was locked in my car. I don't know if anyone noticed (I'm sure they did as it was quite prevalent), but I didn't care one whitt about it.
I can understand that, You had went into a CPZ and could not carry. Also, was hot and you needed to take a layer off, therefore exposing your holster. Totally get it.

I just thought it strange seeing this inside a walmart and on top of that, the particular conversation that followed. I have no idea how the 1st cooment from Tweed even goes with what I posted.
I believe my God is sovereign, but man still has been given free will/freedom of choice..therefore my faith in God does not contradict my choice to carry firearms for self defense & protection.

(JOSH)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

....You seemed a little confrontational by asking him all those questions...your fortunate he was a nice guy.....Now me, though I don't OC unless it's organized, would of told you to mind your own business.....I don't mean that to be nasty...just what I would do with people that are rude IMO....

...Well....did you find a toothbrush ? :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
noname

Post by noname »

carmen fovozzo wrote:....You seemed a little confrontational by asking him all those questions...your fortunate he was a nice guy.....Now me, though I don't OC unless it's organized, would of told you to mind your own business.....I don't mean that to be nasty...just what I would do with people that are rude IMO....

I know it seems lik ethat reading it, but trust me..in the actual moment it was all good, smooth and respect from both sides. As I was reading my post after I wrote it, I thought the same thing. But again, being there it was not so. The two ladies he was with were even talking with my son and everything.

Someone telling someone to mind there business when addressed by someone being "cool" and respectful, dont happen from within the sub culture I too am from, because respect means everything. I stepped to him in a respectful way and he recognized that and responded in the same way. Id say, presentation is everything. There was not a level of being rude anywhere present.

I did find a toothbrush and this morning realized it was medium and not soft bristled :(

(JOSH)
Ohio48
*** Banned ***

Post by Ohio48 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:....You seemed a little confrontational by asking him all those questions...your fortunate he was a nice guy.....Now me, though I don't OC unless it's organized, would of told you to mind your own business.....I don't mean that to be nasty...just what I would do with people that are rude IMO....

So asking a question is being rude??
Mark S.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
-- Thomas Jefferson
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

noname wrote:
Javelin Man wrote:I open carried my empty holster at Toledo Glass Bowl a couple weeks ago, it was very hot and I took my cover garment off, my gun was locked in my car. I don't know if anyone noticed (I'm sure they did as it was quite prevalent), but I didn't care one whitt about it.
I can understand that, You had went into a CPZ and could not carry. Also, was hot and you needed to take a layer off, therefore exposing your holster. Totally get it.

I just thought it strange seeing this inside a walmart and on top of that, the particular conversation that followed. I have no idea how the 1st cooment from Tweed even goes with what I posted.
No to put words in the mouth of Mr. Ring, but I believe that he was getting at that the guy made a choice not to carry. His choice, his life. I personally went through a period of time where I did not carry everywhere all the time. It was too inconvenient to put the holster on, and then put the gun in the holster just to run to the store - that kind of thing. Longer trips, sure - I carried.

As I got older and wiser, I decided that it was not a great habit I had gotten myself into - so I changed it. I now make it a habit to put on the holster and gun every day as I get dressed - even if I don't plan to leave the house (like yesterday - I did not step out of the house other than to put trash in the can).

Being the salty old dude* that I am now, I just accept that people make choices that I don't understand - and I try not to spend too much brain power trying to understand. I manage me, and do the best I can do with that.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*salty old dude = anyone who stands against the young anti's, speaking with logic and facts. This includes women as well, according to the anti's.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Asking a question is not rude...Asking 4 could be construed as rude.....even the OP sort of agreed to some extent... He is fortunate he was dealing with someone w/o a bad attitude.....
.....You know, you can't be to careful with those WM customers.... :)
noname

Post by noname »

Yeah, I dont know guys. I just thought this strange. My wifes thought makes more sense in y mind than what I am reading here. I understand the ability to choose and make decisions. I guess being that I have never seen this before, It struck me as odd. Again, especially the conversation we had.

(JOSH)
noname

Post by noname »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Asking a question is not rude...Asking 4 could be construed as rude.....even the OP sort of agreed to some extent... He is fortunate he was dealing with someone w/o a bad attitude.....
Okay, I can get with that. Makes sense..I probably could have left it more brief and simple.. :shock:

(JOSH)
noname

Post by noname »

I was just so curious..and I know, curiosity killed the cat..lol

(JOSH)
Ohio48
*** Banned ***

Post by Ohio48 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Asking a question is not rude...Asking 4 could be construed as rude.....even the OP sort of agreed to some extent... He is fortunate he was dealing with someone w/o a bad attitude.....
I don't agree. I've been asked countless questions about my motorcycle while stopped at the gas station, hell even stopped at a red light a guy will roll down the window and start asking all kinds of questions, and I try and answer them in a friendly manner.
Mark S.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
-- Thomas Jefferson
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Asking something positive is different then asking something negative...
noname

Post by noname »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Asking something positive is different then asking something negative...
I dont think anything was negative. Just questions, cant say I could catagorize them into positive nor negative. Just honest questions of curiosity. He didnt seem to take them negative either, at all. It was a respectful conversation bewteen him and I, and I think thats what matters most.

(JOSH)