Guy With Empty Holster..???

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rolltide92

Re: Guy With Empty Holster..???

Post by rolltide92 »

BEAR! wrote:Tatoos on your neck mean you're an idiot.
I think it more means the people getting them think they will ever get a job that does not involve name tags and saying "You want fries with that"
Glock513

Post by Glock513 »

Me, if I OC carry a holster, the holster has a loaded gun in it. Carrying a holster is like carrying an unloaded gun, serves no purpose, just draws attention. I prefer concealed carry bc the element of surprise. If I can't carry my gun somewhere, I remove the gun and the holster. I know quite a few people who have a CCW permit but choose not to carry. But why carry Just a holster! I guess he'd draw his imaginary gun if his life were in danger and return fire with his imaginary rounds, Lol!
noname wrote:Mods..Im taking a shot on this to post under this particular section. It was an encounter, please move if could be under a more sutiable discussion.

I just MUST ask for some thoughts from everyone on this, as I have never seen this, it boggles my mind and I cant make sense of it.

Last night in Macedonia Walmart. I am very observant and do just so happen to always glance to see if I ever spot someone carrying. It has just become a habit, I always shoot a glance to the side of most peoples waist areas. Im getting a toothbrush, notice a pretty big guy with alot of tattoos (such as myself, I am also into tattoos, so he grabbed my attention) and I quickly notice what appeared to be a holster. He was far away and his arm kept getting in the way, I thought "is that really a holster, if so is he really OCing, and if so I must go and introduce myself to him and give him a "thumbs up".

I mossie my way over there as I am looking at the sugar hes standing in front of, and low and behold it IS a holster..an EMPTY ONE! As I continued to grab a sugar and act like I was looking at it, I was very confused and thought "WHY IS HIS HOLSTER EMPTY WITH HIS SHIRT TUCKED BEHING IT". I had to ask.

Now this guys description, your typical guy from the streets aka (the hood). I dont say that simply based on his overall appearance, but also after talking with him. The conversation went as such...

Me..My man, I just gotta ask..why are you carrying an empty holster?

Guy..Ah man, you know..I just get sick of carrying that bit*# around all the time.

Me..In my mind, are you stupid or retarded? Out of mouth..I kinda laughed, But whats an empty holster gonna do for you if you need your firearm?

Guy..Shi*#, I mean..Im good with my hands and I just get sick of always carrying it around..it gets annoying.

Me..(Im just really trying to understand this, which the more we talk, the more I am confused and just want to make sense of it) Im excellent with my hands too, but I never leave home without my firearm, there may be a time when my hands are not physically able to stop a threat.

Guy..Sh*#, man..I dont know..fu*# it, ya know.

Me..Nah, I dont know man. Im a pro gun rights guy and just had to ask, I never seen anyone carrying an empty holster like that. Do you like that FOBUS holster though? Said on purpose, becaus eit was NOT a Fobus holster, but a SERPA.

Guy..Yeah, its cool.

I told him be safe and walked away. Confused as to what just happened. Didnt even catch me calling his Serpa holster a Fobus..I am just curious as to what some of yalls thoughts are here. My wife said he was probably just "perped out" and carrying a holster pretending he had a gun too..lol. I dont know. I dont get it.
Joe, an American
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & CCW Instructor

"In times of peace I pray to God for peace. In times of war I pray to God for victory."
rolltide92

Post by rolltide92 »

noname wrote:Mods..Im taking a shot on this to post under this particular section. It was an encounter, please move if could be under a more sutiable discussion.

I just MUST ask for some thoughts from everyone on this, as I have never seen this, it boggles my mind and I cant make sense of it.

Last night in Macedonia Walmart. I am very observant and do just so happen to always glance to see if I ever spot someone carrying. It has just become a habit, I always shoot a glance to the side of most peoples waist areas. Im getting a toothbrush, notice a pretty big guy with alot of tattoos (such as myself, I am also into tattoos, so he grabbed my attention) and I quickly notice what appeared to be a holster. He was far away and his arm kept getting in the way, I thought "is that really a holster, if so is he really OCing, and if so I must go and introduce myself to him and give him a "thumbs up".

I mossie my way over there as I am looking at the sugar hes standing in front of, and low and behold it IS a holster..an EMPTY ONE! As I continued to grab a sugar and act like I was looking at it, I was very confused and thought "WHY IS HIS HOLSTER EMPTY WITH HIS SHIRT TUCKED BEHING IT". I had to ask.

Now this guys description, your typical guy from the streets aka (the hood). I dont say that simply based on his overall appearance, but also after talking with him. The conversation went as such...

Guy..Ah man, you know..I just get sick of carrying that bit*# around all the time.

Me..In my mind, are you stupid or retarded? Out of mouth..I kinda laughed, But whats an empty holster gonna do for you if you need your firearm?

Guy..Shi*#, I mean..Im good with my hands and I just get sick of always carrying it around..it gets annoying.

Me..(Im just really trying to understand this, which the more we talk, the more I am confused and just want to make sense of it) Im excellent with my hands too, but I never leave home without my firearm, there may be a time when my hands are not physically able to stop a threat.

Me..Nah, I dont know man. Im a pro gun rights guy and just had to ask, I never seen anyone carrying an empty holster like that. Do you like that FOBUS holster though? Said on purpose, becaus eit was NOT a Fobus holster, but a SERPA.

Guy..Yeah, its cool.

I told him be safe and walked away. Confused as to what just happened. Didnt even catch me calling his Serpa holster a Fobus..I am just curious as to what some of yalls thoughts are here. My wife said he was probably just "perped out" and carrying a holster pretending he had a gun too..lol. I dont know. I dont get it.
Sounds like he would have sounded more intelligent if someone spread peanut butter on his lips kind of like mr ed.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

rolltide92 wrote:

Guy..Yeah, its cool.

Sounds like he would have sounded more intelligent if someone spread peanut butter on his lips kind of like mr ed.

Maybe he has to count by stomping his foot :lol:
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
rg920

Post by rg920 »

I have seen lots of empty holsters. I have been there, done that on several occasions. Usually, when it happens, I am someplace where it's a CPZ and well, it's just a hassle to take the damn holster off. I have to say that usually my empty holsters serves as an ice breaker and conversation starter. On more than one occasion, it's led to developing a concealed carry class. The whole part of the thread that blows my mind is the comment about getting tired of carrying that gun around. Unless he's carrying a howitzer, most defensive firearms aren't very heavy. When I carry my Glock 20, that tends to pull the pants down a little on the side, but my EDC I hardly notice it's there and have to be real damn careful when I go to class that I remember that I am wearing it! Carry on, be safe! :D :D :D
Robert Gurney, N8RLG
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Life Member
All around swell fella!

"Those who would deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." Abraham Lincoln
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

"it's just a hassle to take the damn holster off."
Paddle holster takes care of that. :)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

You got that right cranky... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

I understand him not wanting to carry a gun 'cuz it's heavy and awkward and......whatever.

But he wasn't leaving it in the car due to his location being a CPZ.

What I still just don't get is ..... then why the holster at all? And it sounded like he was doing the buckeye tuck.

Great fashion sense? Balances the oversize wallet on the left?