Suspected Druggie Tried to Run Me Over

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

propertymanager

Suspected Druggie Tried to Run Me Over

Post by propertymanager »

One of my renters is a convicted felon who had successfully completed an extensive re-entry program more than 2 years ago. We only rent to felons when they have completed such a program. The tenant wasn't a problem for 2 years, until about 6 weeks ago. At that time, I discovered that he had allowed a couple of other people to move in with him and they were dealing drugs out of the apartment.

I immediately called the tenant and told him that his lease was being terminated. When it became clear that the tenant wasn't voluntarily moving out, I installed security cameras around the upper floor of the building and put a large sign on the building that said "Call Police, Report This Drug House". I talked to the neighbors and discovered that many of them had already called the police to report this drug house. I went in to the police station and talked to one of the police Captains, giving him the names and license plate numbers of people who were frequenting the crack house. The sign I posted caught the attention of the local newspaper, radio stations, and even a couple of TV stations and the story about this drug house was all over the media, which I hoped would put pressure on the druggies to move and pressure on the police to do something - WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS.

I posted an inspection notice on the drug dealer's apartment and conducted an inspection. There was a burnt spoon (used for liquefying the heroin and crack), needles, and a bong in plain sight. I called the police and reported this to the police Captain. They refused to even come to the apartment to look at the evidence.

Anyway, to date, the police have done NOTHING!

I was at the building today on other business when a person that the locals suspect of being one of the drug suppliers arrived in a Jeep. Shortly thereafter, another of the regulars at this crack house arrived in a small pickup truck. I decided to walk across the street to take a picture of these vehicles and their license plates (to give to the police). When I started to take a picture of the license plate of the pickup truck, he jammed it in reverse and literally burned rubber trying to run me over. Fortunately, I was able to jump out of the way. He then opened his driver's side and got out with a large pipe and threatened to "bash my head in". I decided that the safest place to retreat to was in front of the Jeep that was in front of this guy's truck. When he finally got back in his truck, I called the police and moved back toward my truck (the red one in the video).

Yes, I was carrying my handgun (I NEVER leave home without it). Yes, I notified each time I talked to the police and it was a non-event (as it should be).

The entire thing is on the security camera video that I have posted to YouTube. The excitement starts at about 7:30 into the video. You can watch it here: http://youtu.be/o-xxIl6X0F0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike
OFCC Member
BEAR!

Re: Suspected Druggie Tried to Run Me Over

Post by BEAR! »

Your link doesn't work says its private.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Video is private.

Also, I hope this is the wake up call to the cops. Did they arrest the person who tried to run you over?
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Just curious, how is it possible to just terminate a lease without an eviction?

Unless they've been evicted I don't think the police can just come in since they're still residents. I think it'd violate the search and seizure laws.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
propertymanager

I changed the Youtube setting to Public. Hope that works.
Mike
OFCC Member
propertymanager

Gaspode wrote:Just curious, how is it possible to just terminate a lease without an eviction?

Unless they've been evicted I don't think the police can just come in since they're still residents. I think it'd violate the search and seizure laws.
You can terminate a month to month lease with a 30 day notice, followed by an eviction if they refuse to leave. I ended up evicting these druggies for non-payment of rent, which is ALWAYS much easier. The eviction was yesterday but they won't be set-out until next Tuesday.

Since I was in the apartment legally when I discovered illegal activity, I don't see the problem - but then again, IANAL.
Mike
OFCC Member
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

propertymanager wrote:Anyway, to date, the police have done NOTHING!
Maybe it's their little enterprise...
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Whole situation sounds unpleasant to say the least. Nice sub 5min response time by the PD though.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

propertymanager wrote:
Gaspode wrote:Just curious, how is it possible to just terminate a lease without an eviction?

You can terminate a month to month lease with a 30 day notice, followed by an eviction if they refuse to leave. I ended up evicting these druggies for non-payment of rent, which is ALWAYS much easier. The eviction was yesterday but they won't be set-out until next Tuesday.

Since I was in the apartment legally when I discovered illegal activity, I don't see the problem - but then again, IANAL.
Ah okay. It was month to month. I had assumed because he's been there for 2 years it was a longer term.

Whether your there legally or not I don't think you have the ability to allow them (the police) the ability to search it because it's not your residence even though you own it. For all the police know you could of put the stuff there.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
propertymanager

Gaspode wrote:Whether your there legally or not I don't think you have the ability to allow them (the police) the ability to search it because it's not your residence even though you own it. For all the police know you could of put the stuff there.
Apparently, you're right. Although, as a layman, I would think that the police could do a little police work like take fingerprints and prove who put stuff there. However, I've noticed that the police are really nothing more than report takers - they don't actually do much police work (like investigating and solving crimes). In fact, after the officer interviewed the witnesses yesterday, I asked one of the witnesses if the officer had taken his information (like name and address) and HE HAD NOT!!! I insisted that the officer take his name and address!!!

The bottom line is that I'm sick and tired of paying taxes for public services that are worthless!
Mike
OFCC Member
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

propertymanager wrote:The bottom line is that I'm sick and tired of paying taxes for public services that are worthless!
It can't be said too many times that police "protection" of individuals is a bigger fairy tale than the Easter bunny or Santa Claus... yet that fantasy seems to frequently be used as an excuse or justification for a laundry list of violations of individual rights, and indeed the law.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

deano...This is a family forum...shame on you....I know there is no Santa, but the other, please...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
propertymanager

If that had been a cop that this druggie had tried to run over, do you think this would have ended differently? Would this druggie even be alive today or would the cop have filled him with .40 cal holes? How many times have we seen that on the evening news? Do you think the police officer responding to the scene would have bothered to get the names of witnesses? Would the police officer have wanted to see the security camera video (which this one did not - he just wanted me to give him a copy on flash drive)?

My honest question is what are we paying the police for? Taking reports? Wouldn't it be cheaper to shut down police departments and just have citizens submit reports on the computer?

I don't expect them to protect me, but I do expect them to investigate crimes and arrest criminals. If they can't or won't do that, then it's time to cut them out of the budget!
Mike
OFCC Member
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:deano...This is a family forum...shame on you....I know there is no Santa, but the other, please...
There is no Santa?!?!?!? There goes my day.....

@ PropertyManager: I feel for you friend - tough situation, and just because you are doing your job.

That cruiser looks like Chillicothe. The drug use in southern Ohio is rampant - so this scenario does not surprise me. I had family in Chillicothe for quite a few years, and saw a lot of the drug use over the years. Shoot - I worked as a DJ at "The Backstage" a little while before it closed down. Most of the people that were in there seemed like they were on more than the alcohol that was being served.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JDinOH

Post by JDinOH »

I feel for ya, propertymanager. I've lived there all my life - more out in the county now, but my experiences with the PD there has not been stellar. My mother's home was one of those 18 in the same area last summer that was burglarized on the west end. There was an initial patrol officer that stopped to get the report, but we to call a few times to get any further into it. It just so happens that one of my close friends was also a victim of that "spree" and they actually convicted the guy from that robbery. Saw the article they did. All I have to say - good for you and thanks for trying to do something! Stay safe.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.”
~Thomas Jefferson

”Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
~Benjamin Franklin