unusual notify - state patrol

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: unusual notify - state patrol

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Nov.2012......July 2014.

Things are really slow around here... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CroManGun wrote:...
Looks like they have a little more authority than a meter maid does. Seems the most confusing aspect, for many people, is jurisdiction; in reality, they cover the entire state. Its just that, for most people, their presence isn't felt at the local level.
The thing to realize is that they ARE NOT a state police force although they definitely are not JUST meter maids.

Their jurisdiction DOES NOT cover the entire state, although they have jurisdiction throughout the state.

How do those differ?

Simple. If a Trooper suspects you are guilty of a felony, but you are not on a highway, they have no authority to arrest you UNLESS they are on a security detail, such as at the Statehouse or while protecting the governor.
R.C. 5503.02(A)...
The superintendent of the patrol or any state highway patrol trooper may arrest, without a warrant, any person, who is the driver of or a passenger in any vehicle operated or standing on a state highway, whom the superintendent or trooper has reasonable cause to believe is guilty of a felony, under the same circumstances and with the same power that any peace officer may make such an arrest.

(E)(3) The superintendent and any state highway patrol trooper, when providing security pursuant to division (E)(1)(a) or (b) of this section, have the same arrest powers as other peace officers to apprehend offenders against the criminal laws who endanger or threaten the security of any person being protected, no matter where the offense occurs.
So, if a Trooper on traffic duty stops for lunch and sees you in a restaurant, and he KNOWS you are wanted for committing a felony, he would have to call the Sheriff or local police to come and arrest you.

If he waits until you get in your car and pull out of the parking lot, NOW he can arrest you.
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Simple. If a Trooper suspects you are guilty of a felony, but you are not on a highway, they have no authority to arrest you UNLESS they are on a security detail, such as at the Statehouse or while protecting the governor.
R.C. 5503.02(A)...
The superintendent of the patrol or any state highway patrol trooper may arrest, without a warrant, any person, who is the driver of or a passenger in any vehicle operated or standing on a state highway, whom the superintendent or trooper has reasonable cause to believe is guilty of a felony, under the same circumstances and with the same power that any peace officer may make such an arrest.

(E)(3) The superintendent and any state highway patrol trooper, when providing security pursuant to division (E)(1)(a) or (b) of this section, have the same arrest powers as other peace officers to apprehend offenders against the criminal laws who endanger or threaten the security of any person being protected, no matter where the offense occurs.
So, if a Trooper on traffic duty stops for lunch and sees you in a restaurant, and he KNOWS you are wanted for committing a felony, he would have to call the Sheriff or local police to come and arrest you.

If he waits until you get in your car and pull out of the parking lot, NOW he can arrest you.
Or ...
R.C. 2935.04. When any person may arrest

When a felony has been committed, or there is reasonable ground to believe that a felony has been committed, any person without a warrant may arrest another whom he has reasonable cause to believe is guilty of the offense, and detain him until a warrant can be obtained.
Just sayin' ...
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Werz wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Simple. If a Trooper suspects you are guilty of a felony, but you are not on a highway, they have no authority to arrest you UNLESS they are on a security detail, such as at the Statehouse or while protecting the governor.
R.C. 5503.02(A)...

Or ...

When a felony has been committed, or there is reasonable ground to believe that a felony has been committed, any person without a warrant may arrest another whom he has reasonable cause to believe is guilty of the offense, and detain him until a warrant can be obtained.
Just sayin' ...
What method(s) of detainment can "any person" legally use?
Just askin'...
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

CroManGun wrote:
Werz wrote:

Just sayin' ...
What method(s) of detainment can "any person" legally use?
Just askin'...
Are you asking about detainment, or are you really asking about use of force?

Rule of Thumb No. 1: Reasonable and necessary.

But who determines that? If you're unlucky, maybe a jury. And remember: the police have qualified immunity.

Rule of Thumb No. 2: If there's no immediate danger, mind your own business.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Nov.2012......July 2014.

Kinda reminds ya of you in the left lane....... :mrgreen:
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

djmac1964 wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Nov.2012......July 2014.

Kinda reminds ya of you in the left lane....... :mrgreen:
^^^ Oh, now that's a good one. Way to be, Don.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Both of you guys are on my list.... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

:shock: I remember being pulled over and asked "where is your weapon?" :shock:

I stated which one without thinking and the LEO put his hand on his weapon and asked "how many do you have?"

:shock: I said, "I have a 40 cal on my right hip, a 380 in my pocket, a folding knife in my other pocket, a 22 on my ankle and a pump in the back". :shock:

:o The LEO grinned and said "you expecting trouble?" I said "No, if I was I would have brought along a buddy for support" and laughed. :o

After he checked everything, he told me to drive more careful.
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
GWC

Post by GWC »

If a "handgun carried for defensive purposes" is not a "weapon", then what is?

Handguns are specifically designed and carried to inflict enough damage to an attacker to stop the attacker from harming the person carrying said handgun. It is, by definition, a weapon. It would be useless if it were not one. It is a defensive weapon, but that does not stop it from being a weapon, regardless what the NRA wants its instructors to teach their students.

Words mean things. Let's leave the mealy-mouthed phony word games to Bloomberg and his fellow travelers, and call them on it.
It weakens our argument against made-up terms like "assault weapons" and "Saturday night specials" when we engage is the same type of sophistry.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol are law enforcement, but their jurisdiction is limited to state supported roads and some state property.

Anyone may arrest for a felony anywhere; LEO may arrest for a misdemeanor within their jurisdiction.
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
Face

Post by Face »

Where do you find a road anywhere in this state that does not have some type of state support? I live on a township road, that is so close to a city that everyone assumes I'm in the city.

I'm aware that some counties and OSP have jurisdictional issues, but no idea who is winning.... Seems that OSP has moved their direction more into a state police drug enforcement than traffic. - but just my opinion.

Normally county SO handles traffic enforcement, crashes, etc. BUT I have seen OSP do both traffic stops and handle at least one crash.
GWC wrote:If a "handgun carried for defensive purposes" is not a "weapon", then what is?

The Ohio State Highway Patrol are law enforcement, but their jurisdiction is limited to state supported roads and some state property.

Anyone may arrest for a felony anywhere; LEO may arrest for a misdemeanor within their jurisdiction.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

Face wrote:Where do you find a road anywhere in this state that does not have some type of state support? I live on a township road, that is so close to a city that everyone assumes I'm in the city.

I'm aware that some counties and OSP have jurisdictional issues, but no idea who is winning.... Seems that OSP has moved their direction more into a state police drug enforcement than traffic. - but just my opinion.
Normally county SO handles traffic enforcement, crashes, etc. BUT I have seen OSP do both traffic stops and handle at least one crash.
GWC wrote:If a "handgun carried for defensive purposes" is not a "weapon", then what is?

Not one bit of movement into State Police Drug Enforcement and not just traffic as you state. The only way they can go the drug enforcement route is through traffic and it certainly isn't serving warrants or dynamic entries. They can't even be members of the Marshals Drug Task Force. The State won't allow it.
Get it through your heads - Highway Patrol that is exactly what they are, let me say it again HIGHWAY PATROL.

OK, I'll upgrade their status. Meter Maids with firearms.

Contrary to the general publics belief, they are very limited in their police powers. Don't believe me, ask one. Although he may tell you otherwise in an attempt to feel like a full LEO he still isn't.

They must be granted the authority to even assist local & county LEO's in most cases. I know some here hold them in high regard but truth be told, they are revenue collectors and not much more. PA have State Police and they have fulll powers to do just about anything they damn well please State wide.
A very big difference exists between Highway Patrol and State Police. Some of you may not like it but it is a fact.

Last time, HIGHWAY PATROL
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

PA have State Police and they have fulll powers to do just about anything they damn well please State wide.
Sounds like the Rangers in Texas.. very broad power.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
BobK

Post by BobK »

gfrlaser wrote:
PA have State Police and they have fulll powers to do just about anything they damn well please State wide.
Sounds like the Rangers in Texas.. very broad power.
Actually, any Texas-certified LEO, including local, school districts, and county agencies, have amazingly broad powers anywhere in the state.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Alabama's State Troopers have full arrest powers etc.. And Alabama game wardens and Marine Police have as much authority, Alabama's marine police can issue traffic tickets etc.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson