unusual notify - state patrol

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bzink

unusual notify - state patrol

Post by bzink »

I got dinged going a little fast on the turnpike around Oberlin this past Friday. It was about 6pm so it was starting to get dark. I turned on my interior lights, hands on steering wheel, window down, etc...

As he's walking up I'm getting prepared to notify, I lean to the passenger side (hands still on steering wheel) to yell out the passenger window but before I can say a word I was greeted with a stern but polite... "Where's your weapon?!"

I told him where it was and he then asked where my documents were and asked me to retrieve them. Rest of the stop was uneventful. Officer was very professional, but his opening question definitely caught me off guard.
pirateguy191

Re: unusual notify - state patrol

Post by pirateguy191 »

You should have said I don't have a weapon, I have a handgun for self defense purposes.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

pirateguy191 wrote:You should have said I don't have a weapon, I have a handgun for self defense purposes.

I tend not to correct law enforcement officers, while in the performance of their duties, when such admonition is not to my benefit.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

How do you know if it's beneficial or not until you try? :P
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I know by the verbiage and tone. It's a correction, and, typically, corrections to someone in the performance of his duty is not beneficial.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

How do you know hitting your thumb with a hammer hurts?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

pirateguy191 wrote:How do you know if it's beneficial or not until you try? :P

It's easy to be a wise guy when you aren't the one being pulled over. :roll:

S.W.
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

gaptrick wrote:How do you know hitting your thumb with a hammer hurts?
Cause some one who did it once told me so.

I wish all LEO's did that instead of us having to tell them...
-Aaron
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I have open carried on the Turnpike Service Stations and twice I've been filling up with Gas and a Trooper filling up their car spotted the gun, if you open carry you can reasonably tell. I saw the look on one troopers face was "Oh my gosh a weapon... uhh wait, I don't care I have to talk on my blue tooth headset" ...

Another time I was at Starbucks(in the Service Plaza) and I heard a man say, "Well that's nice". I turned around and there was a Trooper so I just said "Oh thank you sir. Looks like you'res is pretty nice too. " and started on my way he said " Have a safe trip " it was like 1 or 2 am Akron to Toledo. I've never had a trooper issue. But I do know one thing, Ohio Troopers.. They don't play games. I wouldn't try to correct one on something this small..

Troopers pull you over for Either 1 Speeding or 2 They want to find drugs. That's the bottom line.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Bombarde32 »

"...but before I can say a word I was greeted with a stern but polite... "Where's your weapon?!"
So, did you ever Notify? :wink: Does the officer's assumption and question eliminate the responsibility to inform? Just wonderin'...
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

If he specified where his weapon was that is notifying. 8)
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

shooterwolf wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:How do you know if it's beneficial or not until you try? :P

It's easy to be a wise guy when you aren't the one being pulled over. :roll:

S.W.
It sure is. :roll: :roll:

P.G.

bzink

Post by bzink »

Bombarde32 wrote:
"...but before I can say a word I was greeted with a stern but polite... "Where's your weapon?!"
So, did you ever Notify? :wink: Does the officer's assumption and question eliminate the responsibility to inform? Just wonderin'...
Haha, I guess not.

I forgot to mention, he did then ask... "you have your permit with you?", and I replied yes.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The closest thing to a wise-butt answer I would give to a trooper who asks, "Where's your weapon?", is "Which one?"

8)
MyWifeSaidYes
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

In my last encounter, the first thing he asked me when he returned to my company vehicle was "Do you have your weapon on you?" Me: "Umm, no I don't" Officer: "You have a CCW permit, right?" Me: "Yes, I do" Officer" "What's the FIRST thing you're supposed to do when you are pulled over and the police approach your car?" Me: "When I'm CARRYING, then I'm supposed to notify" Officer: "No you are supposed to notify whether you have it or not." Me: "No sir, I'm not." Officer: "Yes, you are."
You'd have to watch the rest of the YouTube to see the end of it. I WASN'T cited for failure to notify, but I think I might very well have been if I hadn't CORRECTED the officer.

Was I wrong in correcting him, or should I have said "Gee, I'm sorry, I forgot" ? He was falsely accusing me of failure to notify and I believe I had every right (and duty) to correct him. I can understand that it doesn't behoove you to correct minor errors in his grammar or his calling a handgun a weapon. Whenever I'm stopped, I try to be polite and do as I am instructed, but sometimes their being wrong can end up very wrong for you.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;