Olmsted Falls PD Encounters

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

nj3416

Olmsted Falls PD Encounters

Post by nj3416 »

About two weeks ago I was racing home from my office for lunch and since I had my truck under the knife for some go fast goodies that day I took my brothers. Just as I'm about to turn into my development I realize that the boss has found a new place to shoot radar from and it was my street! We have a small island separating the incoming and outgoing traffic and he had nosed up just past the landscaping in the island so he could pick his prey and not be seen. Long story short, he lit me up. I stopped right there on the corner and after he ran the plates he came to the window. As a courtesy I immediately informed him that I was a CCW licensee and I did not have a firearm with me, nor did I have either of my licenses (In my truck, duh!). He thanked me for informing him and said it was not a problem that I did not have my licenses. He took my SSN# and went back to the cruiser. Literally two minutes had passed and he returned to the truck and advised me to slow down and have a nice day. I never had to mention that I lived right next door to the Chief. If he can put two and two together I'm sure he figured it out.

Alright, now for the fun one. I had a friend up here from Nashville for some work at the airport. He was scheduled to leave for home this morning. Since he wanted to beat traffic through Columbus and Cincinnati he decided to leave at 0230. He asked if he could load his motorcycle into his truck by using the dock at my office. So he picks me up and like always I have my carry piece with me. Again, no licenses. I need to break that habit. I'm just so rarely in another vehicle. We pull into the industrial complex and just turn in the driveway to my office when we get lit up. I advise my friend to drop the windows and let me inform the officer that I have my firearm with me. Upon doing so he asks me where it is and I tell him. Then he proceeds to ask me why I feel I need a firearm at 0200 in Olmsted Falls. I simply advised him that I was licensed to carry and was doing so in accordance with the law. With a shake of his head and an inaudible he redirected his attention to my friend. He asked him to step out of the truck and perform a few field sobriety tests. He was not drinking and had just finished his work at the airport prior to picking me up. The officer asked him why the truck was so loud (diesel with no muffler) and my friend advised him that he was from a rural area in Tennessee and that it was legal in his home county. He then told us to have a good day. I never told the officer that I did not have my CCW license or drivers license and he never asked to see either. That just strikes me as weird. I'll pick the Chiefs brain tonight when he gets home and see what he thinks.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Olmsted Falls PD Encounters

Post by TunnelRat »

nj3416 wrote:...like always I have my carry piece with me. Again, no licenses. I need to break that habit.
Or the nice man in the court room may break it for you.... :wink:
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Hey while we are close to the subject here I have a question that I have not looked into yet. Does the ORC say we have to have our CHL and a photo ID or a state issued photo ID. Figured out why I asked that yet? I keep my PA CHL right with the OH one. The PA license has a photo on it and is government issued. I'm going to look up the wording sooner or later but I thought it might be interesting to ask .
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

"valid Identification"

Post by rickt »

All the law says is "valid identification". I wonder what is considered "valid identification"? Obviously a driver's license or other state-issued ID. I wonder what else (if anything)?
a licensee who has been issued a license under section 2923.125 [2923.12.5] or 2923.1213 [2923.12.13] of the Revised Code may carry a concealed handgun anywhere in this state if the licensee also carries a valid license and valid identification when the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun.
BTW, carrying a concealed weapon while not having your CHL with you, looks like a misdemeanor, if I am reading this correctly (IANAL):
If the person is not able to promptly produce any of those types of license and if the person is not in a place described in that section, the officer may arrest the person for a violation of that division, and the offender shall be punished as follows:

(a) The offender shall be guilty of a minor misdemeanor if both of the following apply:

(i) Within ten days after the arrest, the offender presents a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued under section 2923.125 [2923.12.5] or 2923.1213 [2923.12.13] of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, which license was valid at the time of the arrest to the law enforcement agency that employs the arresting officer.

(ii) At the time of the arrest, the offender was not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 [2923.12.6] of the Revised Code.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Olmsted Falls PD Encounters

Post by jgarvas »

nj3416 wrote: He asked if he could load his motorcycle into his truck by using the dock at my office. So he picks me up and like always I have my carry piece with me. Again, no licenses. I need to break that habit. I'm just so rarely in another vehicle.
nj3416:

Be very careful about this. If you encounter a cop that wants to mess with you and you don't have your license they can push the issue.

You'll have thirty days to produce it, and then its still a misdemeanor that you didn't have it with you. While I believe the law is the same for a driver's license, this is a trap for the unwary and a means to screw with a license holder who accidentally forgot their wallet.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
Mark J

Post by Mark J »

You had better be sure you have your license and ID with you if you are armed. Too many of the criminals I deal with don't carry ID and try to use someone else's info. A violation of any law while carrying a gun with no ID is going to get someone I deal with a trip to be fingerprinted, so I can be sure it's not some felon trying to pull the wool over my eyes. The computer in my car allows me to pull up both mugshots and driver license/ state ID photos, but it doesn't always work.

Before anyone blows a gasket over that, I am indeed allowed by law to do that to someone who commits a criminal or traffic violation, if the person can not or will not provide proof of identification. Most times, I can resolve it using my computer.

If I feel that way and am pro 2nd ammendment and pro CCW, imagine what it could be like if you got pulled over by a cop that thinks only cops should have guns.

Problems like this are preventable. Prevent them.
Honor, courage, commitment

"Another positive citizen contact"
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Mark I agree. I have seen what you are talking about going on. Seems like it is always at the end of shift for my wife and a certain group of folks. Seems English is hard to come by till they are in deep trouble and then it flows more freely. I for one am in awe at how many folks are out driving and have NO license because they really do NOT have the license! Then they wonder why they are in trouble.