Assulted today in my church parking lot

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Assulted today in my church parking lot

Post by cashman966 »

Fyr_Capn wrote:Glad your ok. I'm not trying to be a horses posterior just trying to gain insight.
rexles wrote: Well I tell these young men I will just call 911. He jumped at me and grabbed for my phone and grabbed me by my shirt collar. At this time I kicked him in the family jewels ( I hope he never gets to reproduce). He started swinging as me as I tried to just protect myself and get away from him. As we wrestled around he hit me in the head with a couple of glancing blows, I kicked him again and he finally got ahold of my phone and ripped the top off the flip phone. I grabbed his head and was taking him down when he grabbed my wallet out of my back pocket. The other boy (16) stayed out of it( Thank God) He even tried to get his buddy to stop a couple times. I broke free from him and ran about 150yds to where my van was.
Is this not where rexles has a duty to retreat?

I'd say running 150yds away from the encounter would be a pretty good retreat.
Fyr_Capn wrote:
rexles wrote:Got my gun.
Couldn't this have been taken as escalating the situation had not the off duty LEO arrived?
I'd say getting his gun made it a safe retreat.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Fyr_Capn wrote:
rexles wrote:Got my gun.
Couldn't this have been taken as escalating the situation had not the off duty LEO arrived?

Again just trying to learn.
Only if you got your gun and then had to run back to the fight. If the BG pursues to the vehicle and gun, shoot him.
The British are going! The British are going!
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

deanimator wrote:Idiots have no reason to stop being idiots when there are no negative consequences to their idiocy. The idiot in question just got a bunch of negative consequences all at once, including getting whipped.
I'm all for negative consequences, the more the merrier. Although for this vermin, I'd figure on him being taken out by a LAC in a SD situation. Hopefully, he'll get his death wish granted ASAP.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
rexles

Post by rexles »

Well I got a subpoena today to appear to testify Nov 8 at 9am. :lol:
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

rexles wrote:Well I got a subpoena today to appear to testify Nov 8 at 9am. :lol:
Go get em.. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

It can be fun to testify on a case like this :D

Good luck!

Ken
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I'm assuming this is a grand jury subpoena? It's way too early to be charging the yout with anything. With continuances and everything it will be at least six months before he actually goes to trial on anything.

The good news about a GJ subpoena is you generally get it over with at the stated time. When it's a subpoena for a trial it's anybody's guess. You can show up and sit around all day only to find out that your subpoena said 9, the hearing isn't scheduled until 3:30 and then winds up being cancelled due to a continuance that was faxed in the night before. Frustrating.
rexles

Post by rexles »

djthomas wrote:I'm assuming this is a grand jury subpoena? It's way too early to be charging the yout with anything. With continuances and everything it will be at least six months before he actually goes to trial on anything.

The good news about a GJ subpoena is you generally get it over with at the stated time. When it's a subpoena for a trial it's anybody's guess. You can show up and sit around all day only to find out that your subpoena said 9, the hearing isn't scheduled until 3:30 and then winds up being cancelled due to a continuance that was faxed in the night before. Frustrating.

It just says Toledo Municipal court. Case of State of Ohio vs yout. Doesn't say GJ anywhere.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

rexles wrote:It just says Toledo Municipal court. Case of State of Ohio vs yout. Doesn't say GJ anywhere.
If it's municipal court it's not the county grand jury. Very interesting. Hopefully you don't get jerked around with multiple appearances. Good luck!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Get'em rexles!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BobK

Post by BobK »

rexles wrote:It just says Toledo Municipal court. Case of State of Ohio vs yout. Doesn't say GJ anywhere.
Not a lawyer here, but if it is municipal court, they can't try him there for any felonies. I believe that will mean either he was only charged with misdemeanor(s), or if there is a felony charge it is a quick formality to have it dismissed in municipal court and bounced up to the county common pleas court.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
rexles wrote:Well I got a subpoena today to appear to testify Nov 8 at 9am. :lol:
Go get em.. :lol:
Good...now go to court and open up an industrial strength can of whoop :!:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
CAAD8N8

Post by CAAD8N8 »

I'm glad to hear everyone came out OK in this one. Reinforces the importance of carrying whenever/whenever you can. Like others have said, my wife doesn't quite get this either. This is the extra kick in the butt I needed to approach my church leadership about carrying there.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

CAAD8N8 wrote:I'm glad to hear everyone came out OK in this one. Reinforces the importance of carrying whenever/whenever you can. Like others have said, my wife doesn't quite get this either. This is the extra kick in the butt I needed to approach my church leadership about carrying there.
Whenever I hear somebody say they don't need to carry (or own) where they are because it's "safe", I just tell them that all it takes to turn the "safest" place VERY dangerous is ONE person who wants to make it so. I'll bet that that doctor in Connecticut didn't think his house was very "dangerous"... until two feral beasts showed up and slaughtered his family.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
rexles

Post by rexles »

BobK wrote:
Not a lawyer here, but if it is municipal court, they can't try him there for any felonies. I believe that will mean either he was only charged with misdemeanor(s), or if there is a felony charge it is a quick formality to have it dismissed in municipal court and bounced up to the county common pleas court.
I talked this evening with a friend(Detective for Ottawa Hills) and he said court room 3 is where I go and it most likely will be kicked to Lucas Co. grand jury. Court room 3 is where felonies are handled.