Assulted today in my church parking lot

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rexles

Re: Assulted today in my church parking lot

Post by rexles »

glocksmith wrote:Glad you did OK. Good to hear the guy is 19y.o. since he'll get a stiffer punishment than a minor would have. One wonders why the van was behind the church. Do you suppose they were looking to steal scrap metal but got stuck in the mud instead?
I figure they were just joy riding. They decided to drive into the yard and it was soft and they sunk in the mud. It had to be towed out.
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
rexles

Post by rexles »

NERES wrote:You took a risk by opening the van. There could have been someone inside who would not take kindly to the invasion of their personal space.

Since a police report had been filed didn't they check it out?

Good outcome with the arrest but it was risky for you.

We had problems with criminals stealing batteries from cars at my church during evening services and were advised by the police "You supply the eyes and ears and we will supply the muscle." I suppose this is what you were doing when you approached the van but it didn't go as planned.
I could see through the windows there were no occupants. The PO PO did check out the van in the mud and made out a report. Don't know why he didn't see the pipe :?:

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

rexles

Post by rexles »

mreising wrote:Good job! I'm glad you were not injured. I do have one comment: I hope the yutes don't see your van later and make the assumption that there is a gun in it to be stolen but I'm guessing you won't be leaving the gun in the van anymore anyway :)
Roger that. It will be on me.

boothdt

Post by boothdt »

rexles wrote:I could see through the windows there were no occupants. The PO PO did check out the van in the mud and made out a report. Don't know why he didn't see the pipe :?:
I don't know about up there but in Columbus marijuana is an M4 misdemeanor; the same level offense as a speeding ticket. Even if the officer put it in his report, the yoot probably wouldn't have been charged seeing as he was already about to be hammered.

On another note. I'm glad you got out of that unharmed, and you laid it to that kid to boot lol. I applaud you for going for a more dissuading strike (the groin) instead of a more macho, one hit knock out, haymaker punch to the face. Too often people focus on visually impressive disciplines of martial arts instead of the uglier, nastier, and (in my opinion) more effective and realistic forms. Just imagine if you'd bent that punks ring and pinky finger back to his wrist the moment he grabbed your collar. :twisted:
“How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of.” -Suzanna Hupp
jmw11

Post by jmw11 »

Wow! Glad you were not injured. Really makes a newbie such as myself understand the need to carry all the time.
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

Glad you are ok! Looks like the Good Lord doesn't like yoots disrespecting his property and attacking his flock. Really think you handled it great. I bet that firearm never leaves your side :D

It just goes to prove, one never knows.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
soccerrefwilcox

Post by soccerrefwilcox »

Glad to hear you are ok. As someone from Toledo I can't help but wonder what area of Toledo this was in.
There is nothing in my house worth you dieing over!
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

Good job, before my back injury in my judo jujitsu training we did a lot of grip fighting. where we practised techniques to break or use an opponents grip againstthem, pretty handy up close and personal... On a different jote, I MIGHT be inclined ( if I were you ) to look up the 16 year old who stayed out of the mess and tried to talk his buddy down and invite him to church. Sounds like maybe he is at a cross roads in his life and a good influence may make a difference....but thats just my opinion.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Shaolin_dragon wrote:then you could hit them with your extended shoehorn, Carmen! :lol: :lol: :P
You blooming chaps have always had a dry sense of humor.. :wink:
Not really a joke.

Before I got my CHL, I sometimes carried a large metal shoehorn in my pocket.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Sevens wrote:Man, that's a wild one! Sounds like you did a fine job holding your own against a 19-yr old worthless punk, unarmed.
Well I am really shocked. Just the other day he was with his pals, parked in a car, smokin' some bud, just kids bein' kids, when some mean man walking a dog came along and shooed them away. MY HERO OF SOUTHERN UNAWARE COUNTY! I think the punk stopped off for some Gas.... over in Reynoldswrap before hitting the church. :roll: On a more serious note, glad you're OK "rexles". Wonder how many yahoos had the chance to put the brakes on this punk but decided to just pass them off on someone else. It's a shame good people like you have to suffer because some doofus couldn't step up when the opportunity presented itself.
Last edited by CroManGun on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

carmen fovozzo wrote: think they were doing drugs....
A_F wrote:probably going to steal scrap metal while doing drugs.
glocksmith wrote:...and then use the money from the scrap metal to buy more drugs :?
I think you gentlemen have an excellent grasp of the situation. But some maroons would say it's just kids being kids. I don't think so.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

CroManGun wrote:Wonder how many yahoos had the chance to put the brakes on this punk but decided to just pass them off on someone else. It's a shame good people like you have to suffer because some doofus couldn't step up when the opportunity presented itself.
Idiots have no reason to stop being idiots when there are no negative consequences to their idiocy. The idiot in question just got a bunch of negative consequences all at once, including getting whipped.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

deanimator wrote: Idiots have no reason to stop being idiots when there are no negative consequences to their idiocy. The idiot in question just got a bunch of negative consequences all at once, including getting whipped.
Ignorance is one of the most expensive commodities. Unfortunately the bills don't always come in a timely manner but will sometimes show up all at once.
Fyr_Capn

Post by Fyr_Capn »

Glad your ok. I'm not trying to be a horses posterior just trying to gain insight.
rexles wrote: Well I tell these young men I will just call 911. He jumped at me and grabbed for my phone and grabbed me by my shirt collar. At this time I kicked him in the family jewels ( I hope he never gets to reproduce). He started swinging as me as I tried to just protect myself and get away from him. As we wrestled around he hit me in the head with a couple of glancing blows, I kicked him again and he finally got ahold of my phone and ripped the top off the flip phone. I grabbed his head and was taking him down when he grabbed my wallet out of my back pocket. The other boy (16) stayed out of it( Thank God) He even tried to get his buddy to stop a couple times. I broke free from him and ran about 150yds to where my van was.
Is this not where rexles has a duty to retreat?
rexles wrote:Got my gun.
Couldn't this have been taken as escalating the situation had not the off duty LEO arrived?

Again just trying to learn.
First step of a totalitarian government = disarming of the citizenry!

“Shoot Low Boys -- Their Riding Shetland Ponies” Lewis Grizzard
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Fyr_Capn wrote: Couldn't this have been taken as escalating the situation had not the off duty LEO arrived?

Again just trying to learn.
I think it would depend on if the attacker pursued him after he broke free.
I've had consistently good results with ether.