Assulted today in my church parking lot

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jose45

Re: Assulted today in my church parking lot

Post by jose45 »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:
rexles wrote:Well I got a subpoena today to appear to testify Nov 8 at 9am. :lol:
Go get em.. :lol:
Seconded.. :D
"Lord, make me fast and accurate.Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine.Let not my last thought be "If I only had my gun"
And Lord,if today is truly the day that you call me home.Let Me Die In A Pile of Hot Empty Brass.- Patriots Prayer- III% NRA,OFCC
ckelley3

Post by ckelley3 »

I am the facilities manager at my church. I am amazed at the things that happen in church parking lots. I recently got my CHL and feel so much better knowing I am armed. Our admin doesn't like guns, but subconsciously, I'd be she feels a little safer when I am in the building.

I'm glad everything worked out for you and that you have a supportive pastor and church staff. I am blessed with the same mentality at my church.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Many times felony cases are scheduled for preliminary hearings in municipal or county court to determine if there is probable cause to bind the case over to the grand jury. Defense attorneys like prelims because (a) they allow the defense to get an idea of the evidence against their clients, (b) it locks testimony in as they can use the preliminary hearing transcript to cross examine the prosecution witnesses at a later trial and (c) it provides an opportunity to bill additional hours.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rexles

Post by rexles »

UPDATE
I went to the courthouse today and it was kicked over to Lucas Co. Common Pleas court. Talked to the victims advocate people and Detective Jones from TPD taked to the Prosecutor for the Grand Jury. I got sworn in for GJ testimony but did not have to. He was indited for Robbery. He confessed on tape to the TPD detective so he thinks it won't even go to trial. We will see. Det Jones told me "you gotta carry that gun every where". But not into the court house :cry:
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

rexles wrote: Det Jones told me "you gotta carry that gun every where". But not into the court house :cry:
rexles:

Not in the House of Worship, either, unless you can talk 'em into it.

Or change to another one....

IAC, looks like the matter is settled for you. These things have a habit of tying up the victims. The defendant has nothing better to do anyway....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
rexles

Post by rexles »

SMMAssociates wrote:
rexles wrote: Det Jones told me "you gotta carry that gun every where". But not into the court house :cry:
rexles:

Not in the House of Worship, either, unless you can talk 'em into it.

Or change to another one....
I have permission to carry at church already :mrgreen:

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

rexles:

Glad you've got permission!

Probably impossible here - the Board fired the Rabbi I used to shoot with (no problems with me carrying from him), and hired a couple of tree-huggers who believe in prayer rallies to solve crime problems.... The Board likely wouldn't listen, either.

Meantime, I can't do "don't ask, don't tell", because a lot of people know about my background....

(Not that I'm advocating that, but I thought about it.)

What frosts me is that my family and I built the place.... And the wife doesn't understand.... There are only four in town, three of which are across town (and not all that convenient, among other objections), and none would likely be all that receptive. If the law was the same as for an ordinary business, for example, in the absence of some idiotic push to post, it's still probable that something could be worked out - enough members just might notice the foolishness of a gunbuster sign. But the way things are, nobody's going to go out on a limb with this.

Something else we gotta fix....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
GroveTuckey

Post by GroveTuckey »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:Just goes to add to my point that anything can happen anywhere. I get asked all the time why I carry at church or when I'm the only one at church and this here proves my point. Glad you are alright.
....That is what I try to get my wife to understand, she has a hard time with it sometimes....Went for a walk last night as usual and she wanted to know why I was CC..I always do....I hate to say it, but she just doesn't get it....

Same for my wife. BUT her dad wants to get his license and she is going to go with him and do the same. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel for me.
rcooked

Post by rcooked »

Good morning.

I find this particular post most interesting - I am getting ready to approach our church about this issue, as I am on the Elder Board. The topic was brought up and basically died on the vine a little over a year ago. Our church has not had any significant issues to stoke the fire in allowing concealed carry if you will. However, last Tuesday voters in our County repealed a sales tax and over half of our deputies are being laid off effective January 1.

My plan is the following:

1. Develop some research for a paper with statistics on violent crimes (specific to churches)
2. Develop a presentation to complement the paper (for the visual learners)
3. Bring in a pastor from another church I know who carries
4. Involve local law enforcement in it - know most of them really well.

I was wondering if anyone on here as any links that would be helpful in locating some of the information I mentioned above. I figure painting them a picture of trends, etc... will help sell them on the merits of having folks carry in church. The single most frustrating thing to me is that, the bad guys simply don't follow the rules and we are going to be playing against a stacked deck if something ever does go down. Hopefully, it won't. However, being unprepared this day and age seems inexcusable to me.

Thanks!
rainmaker
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rainmaker »

rcooked, take a look at churchsecurityalliance.com which has some good information you can use, though "guest" may be kinda limited access. Do a search on the OFCC site (and other sites - defensivecarry.com for example) - there's a lot of info out there -been there done that stuff.
Steve
NRA member (long, long time)
NMLRA member (even longer)
OFCC member, BFA member
rexles

Post by rexles »

UPDATE 11/17/11
Defendant got a court appointed lawyer. Cash bond set at $25K. Asked for a continuance. Court date set for 11/30/11

OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

rexles wrote:UPDATE 11/17/11
Defendant got a court appointed lawyer. Cash bond set at $25K. Asked for a continuance. Court date set for 11/30/11
That's a good sign, IMO. If they were going to let him walk, he wouldn't have been appointed a lawyer.

Thanks for the update.

Ken
mreising

Post by mreising »

It's too bad we have to pay for the attorney for the scum bag as well as paying for the costs of prosecution.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

mreising wrote:It's too bad we have to pay for the attorney for the scum bag as well as paying for the costs of prosecution.
That's one of the privileges granted by our Constitution.

In this case, of course, we assume he is guilty, but he is still worthy of due process.

Hopefully you will never need the presumption of "innocent until proven guilty". Not everyone going into the justice system is guilty.

Ken
rexles

Post by rexles »

LATEST UPDATE.
Defendant went to arrainment. Got his Court appointed attny. Pleaded Not guilty and Not guilty by Reason of Insanity
Matter refered to the court Diagnostic and Treatment center for evaluation and report.
Too much dope makes you insane I guess :mrgreen: