Attempted Barber Shop Robbery Turns Deadly in Detroit

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Attempted Barber Shop Robbery Turns Deadly in Detroit

Post by sabalo »

By RON SAVAGE
WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

DETROIT (WJBK) - Two guys walked in to a very busy Gents Barbershop at about 5:30 p.m. Friday on Whittier at Stratman on Detroit's east side. One with a gun said, "You know what time it is."

What the two bad guys didn't know was two customers were legally carrying handguns.

A man in a chair getting a cut took advantage of pulling his gun under the cover of the smock.

When one bad guy said, "Why you stalling? Empty your pockets," he then fired a shot into the floor of the barber shop. That's when the customer in the chair opened fire and emptied his clip containing multiple rounds.
The rest here : http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/lo ... f=obinsite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Long story short, one BG dead another on the run. And a reporter gets the jargon wrong with "clip".
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
XDSC9G30

Re: Attempted Barber Shop Robbery Turns Deadly in Detroit

Post by XDSC9G30 »

It's always nice when the good guy wins.

It's also always great when we can get another bad guy off the streets.
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

He was currently out on parole for an armed robbery conviction.
I'm sure he was let out early for "good behavior". I don't see how he was robbing this place armed though, he's a repeat felon and we have laws against that!
There's no way he can get a gun with the Brady NICS check protecting us!
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I actually have been to this shop couple of times their customers of mine... I am not suprised. I know a barber in detroit that actually teaches Mi CCW Classes. People are starting to wise up and become armed in Detroit.

- 1 Criminal, I think that guy deserves an award. I hope that if I am ever in this situation, that i'll be able to preform as well.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

BG: "You know what time it is!"

GG: "Time for you to take a hot lead injection."
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
wobblygoblin

Post by wobblygoblin »

"Three children were also standing behind the barber chair. That same customer took his unarmed hand and swept the three children into a safe spot out of the way against the wall."- By RON SAVAGE WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com

So not only did the GG successfully defend himself and the other customers, he also moved the children to safety. Wow. Bet the 2nd BG may be wishing they had went and got ice cream instead.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

"If stupidity weighed an ounce and gullibility a gram, the population of this country would create a black hole that would swallow the planet."
farblue

Post by farblue »

....waiting for the "He was trying to turn his life around" quotes. :roll:
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

That's a good story. Props to that good guy for not only sweeping the kids to safety, but taking another bad guy off the streets!
dbw8906

Post by dbw8906 »

farblue wrote:....waiting for the "He was trying to turn his life around" quotes. :roll:
I'm sure the force of the impact "turned his life around", if not just his torso.
Ron Swanson Self Defense Tips

If your attacker has a knife, use your gun to disarm him. If your attacker has a gun, so what – your gun is bigger (I assume).
If you're in a situation where someone has gotten the jump on you, well, I don't know what to tell you. You blew it. That's on you.
tglassburner

Post by tglassburner »

The reporter said "That's when the customer in the chair opened fire and emptied his automatic clip" what the heck is an automatic clip?
My Blog
NRA Certified Instructor
Amount of money I have spent in a non enumerated CPZ this year - $0.00
Number of CPZ signs taken down because of me - 4
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

tglassburner wrote:The reporter said "That's when the customer in the chair opened fire and emptied his automatic clip" what the heck is an automatic clip?
That is where the barber takes his electric clippers and automaticly clips your hair...Man, you don't know nothing... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Sounds like the good-guy really knew what he was doing - good point-shooting technique, good gear placement (to be able to access the firearm sitting - but also un-noticed to the BG, under the smock), great situational awareness in realizing to coral and continue to protect the children even after the first BG is down. When I'm getting a haircut, I want this guy in the chair next to me, for sure!!!

Good thing that the BG's first shot was to the ground...but I can't help also think that maybe this taught other would-be robbers a lesson that's on the other side of the fence: that strong-arm robberies where a gun is used, they're just going to go in guns-blazing.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
dbw8906

Post by dbw8906 »

TSiWRX wrote:Sounds like the good-guy really knew what he was doing - good point-shooting technique, good gear placement (to be able to access the firearm sitting - but also un-noticed to the BG, under the smock), great situational awareness in realizing to coral and continue to protect the children even after the first BG is down. When I'm getting a haircut, I want this guy in the chair next to me, for sure!!!

Good thing that the BG's first shot was to the ground...but I can't help also think that maybe this taught other would-be robbers a lesson that's on the other side of the fence: that strong-arm robberies where a gun is used, they're just going to go in guns-blazing.
The common criminal is NOT Rambo, mostly stupid punk @zz kids. You think this BG has ever had any real practice pulling the trigger, doubt he has a range bag. While I'm not making excuses for the BG's, to try to turn the stupid and lazy into mass killers is a bit much. That doesn't mean that you do not have the right to defend yourself whenever a BG produces a weapon, but they are not all combat honed Marines with kill switch engaged.

Takes a lot of moxy to send hot lead at someone, BG or not.
Ron Swanson Self Defense Tips

If your attacker has a knife, use your gun to disarm him. If your attacker has a gun, so what – your gun is bigger (I assume).
If you're in a situation where someone has gotten the jump on you, well, I don't know what to tell you. You blew it. That's on you.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

But at the same time, strong-arm robberies where the first shots fired from the BG(s)'s gun(s), directly into the victims, are not uncommon nowadays, either.

How many of the more recent threads on various gun-Forums debating "Condition 1" carry (I fail to see the need to debate that at all, really :lol: ) cite instances where the bad-guy(s) went in, with gun(s) blazing?

I'm not trying to paint a picture where the stupid and the lazy are turning into mass-killers of ninja-eating skills.

We learn, and so do criminals.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your post, dbw...I'm not saying that we do not have the right to defend ourselves against lethal-force threats. I'm not saying that the shooter did anything wrong (er...did you look at the mass of the text of my post above? or did you just focus on that last sentence?).

I'm merely pointing out a "what if" evolution in the mindset of the criminals.

Next time, there might not be a warning shot after the "Why you hesitatin'?" question/'challenge. I'd say that the SD-shooter, in this case, might well have realized how lucky he was, and just might, next time, shoot without first waiting to be shot.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
sxshep

Post by sxshep »

"emptied his clip".... come on now, seriously? That reported must be a hip-hop music fan, or seen one too many episodes of CSI.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
Thomas Edison