Pet Peeve of a Grammar Nazi

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

Pet Peeve of a Grammar Nazi

Post by High Power »

To anyone who wishes to post their experiences about a CCW encounter. I would really like to read it. There is a pet peeve that I would like to point out before going any further. I’ve read too many accounts in the OC forum and this one as well of people that want to be taken seriously but don’t take the time to produce a message that can be read easily. If you want anyone to take you seriously please consider using paragraphs, proper punctuation and spelling.

Remember that paragraphs are your friends and help you to clearly organize the thoughts, concepts, events or ideas you are trying to convey to the audience.

It’s a royal pain in the butt to read something from someone who thinks they have a great deal to say but looks like one continuous run-on sentence.

Try using the word processor on your computer to type the story you want to tell. The spell-checker in the word processor is an invaluable tool to help proof read your text. After it is complete you can select the entire text then copy and paste to the main body of the message before posting to the forum.

Now look at the same message below without paragraphs and proper punctuation along with spelling errors. Compare the top and bottom versions and you’ll see that the top version is easier to understand.

to anyone who wishes to post their experiences about a CCW encounter I would really like to read it there is a pet peeve that I would like to point out before going any further ive read too many accounts in the OC forum and this one as well of people that want to be taken seriously but don’t take the time to produce a message that can be read easily if you want anyone to take you seriously please consider using paragraphs proper punctuation and spelling remember that paragraphs are your friends and help you to clearly organize the thoughts concepts events or ideas you are trying to convey to the audience its a royal pain in the butt to read something from someone who thinks they have a great deal to say but looks like one continuous run-on sentence try using the word processor on your computer to type the story you want to tell the spell-checker in the word processor is an invaluable tool to help proof read your text after it is complete you can select the entire text then copy and paste to the main body of the message before posting to the forum
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
dan dan the XD40 man

Re: Pet Peeve of a Grammar Nazi

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

Heck while were at it, why is this forum even called the "CCW Encounters" forum. Ohio doesnt have any kind of CCW permit/ license/ law/ etc AFAIK. Granted, "CHL Encounters" doesnt have quite the same ring to it, but still...
Poop!
eagle45
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by eagle45 »

High Power wrote:Remember that paragraphs are your friends and help you to clearly organize the thoughts, concepts, events or ideas you are trying to convey to the audience.
I agree! Today - the CCW Encounters. Tomorrow - all the people at work that send one long run-on sentence as an email!
"Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks.” Thomas Jefferson.
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

agreed. agreed. and also agreed.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
mreising

Post by mreising »

While we are at it, let's get LOSE and LOOSE definitions and examples out of the way. Note that the vowel sounds are the same, the words are not:
lose - verb \ˈlüz\
lost\ˈlȯst\los·ing\ˈlü-ziŋ\

Examples of LOSE
She's always losing her gloves.
Hold my hand: I don't want to lose you.
We lost the game by a score of 4–2.
He lost his title in the rematch.
The team lost three games but won the next four.
The team lost in the finals.
an athlete known for losing with grace
He hates to lose when money is involved.
How could she play that well and still lose?
The country lost its independence 50 years ago.

loose - adj \ˈlüs\
Definition of LOOSE
1a : not rigidly fastened or securely attached

Examples of LOOSE
Some of the shingles on the roof were loose.
The rope was tied in a loose knot.
The nails had been pried loose.
Some of the shingles had come loose.
The boat came loose from its moorings and floated out into the harbor.
The ball popped loose from the shortstop's glove.
loose reins on a horse
She was wearing a loose dress.
The dog was wandering loose in the streets.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

It's= "It is"

It's lovely outside tonight.

Its= possessive

The tree has started to shed its leaves already.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
kevyd

Post by kevyd »

by my avetatar duz it looks lyke im a guud spelar n punktuater .
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Orientated is not a word.

The block fits through the child's shape sorter when it's oriented the right way.
The British are going! The British are going!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

muxtech wrote:Orientated is not a word.

The block fits through the child's shape sorter when it's oriented the right way.
"Irregardless." I hate that one.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
dan dan the XD40 man

Post by dan dan the XD40 man »

They're, There, and Their.

Clip vs. Magazine

You're and Your

Our and Are

Moot Point and Mute Point

Morne's Polls
Poop!
Hal2000

Post by Hal2000 »

Maybe we can get Ohio to pass a Grammar Doctrine bill.
mrjam2jab

Post by mrjam2jab »

I used to be a grammar nazi....correcting the spoken language around me....think I {inappropriate language} off a number of people doing it too. But i figure if someone doesn't correct they will never know they are speaking incorrectly.

On that note...whenever i see a thread like this...I bring out...

:lol: :D
High Power

Post by High Power »

I really get perturbed when someone sends me an e-mail message that has been forwarded 400 times!

It is extremely aggravating when you send out a finely crafted message that is presented in a clear easy-to-read format only to see it go around the world in 15 minutes and come back to you with all those “carrots” and the poor indentation.

I’ve told people that I know, who do provide interesting subject matter, they need to use some basic computer and grammar skills to clean up the messages. Some take my advice but others don’t. So, ninety percent of the time I delete their messages.

So, if you are
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the jerk that sends everything out that looks like this
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hope the fleas of a
>> thousand camels>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>infest your armpits!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
P-chan

Post by P-chan »

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1282969634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

P-chan wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1282969634" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... 1282997974

It appears that orientated relates to the physical and oriented relates to the mental/psychological.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.