Pet Peeve of a Grammar Nazi

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Anubis

Re: Pet Peeve of a Grammar Nazi

Post by Anubis »

e3mrk wrote:...it should not matter if They murder the Kings English as long as You know what They mean.
I certainly support anyone's right to spell a word any way they want; I consider the practice guaranteed by the First Amendment. But if you get too far off the chart, no one will figure it out. You're probably familiar with the classic "ghoti" as an alternate spelling for "fish": the gh pronounced as in rough, o as in women, ti as in nation. Pop quiz: without searching it on the internet, for what common word is Ghoughpteighbteau a similar alternate spelling?

When I corrected a college chum about his spelling or usage and proved it via a dictionary, he would always say "The dictionary tells how we speak, not how to speak".

I suppress the urge to supply a correction when reading a regular thread, most strongly when I see a misplaced reflexive pronoun. Please don't use "myself" in a sentence without first having "I" in that sentence. "My wife and myself went to the store" is equivalent to "myself went to the store". Doh! :smile:
"If you got to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!" -Tuco Ramirez-
grampajeep

Post by grampajeep »

I am not the grammer police that some people are, but one that has not been mentioned is
" an LEO" . I find this quite often on here.
Since leo does not begin with a vowel sound, the proper way to use the word leo is "a leo".

Gerry
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

grampajeep wrote:I am not the grammer police that some people are, but one that has not been mentioned is
Since leo does not begin with a vowel sound, the proper way to use the word leo is "a leo".

Gerry
But, if you spell it out, it becomes an el ee oh. :wink:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

pirateguy191 wrote:
grampajeep wrote:I am not the grammer police that some people are, but one that has not been mentioned is

Gerry
I agree "Law Enforcement Officer" might not begin with a vowel sound but L E O certainly does.
Unless you are pronouncing LEO the same as the nickname for Leonard, however, most of us, I think, pronounce it with three syllables.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Anubis wrote: I consider the practice guaranteed by the First Amendment.
This annoys me more than any misspelling or grammar error: a complete lack of understanding of the First Amendment. It is quite possibly, the most misunderstood or bastardized amendment on the books.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
mreising

Post by mreising »

charben wrote:
This annoys me more than any misspelling or grammar error: a complete lack of understanding of the First Amendment. It is quite possibly, the most misunderstood or bastardized amendment on the books.
Now you're just being a Constitution Nazi Chris. :wink:
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

mreising wrote:
charben wrote:
Now you're just being a Constitution Nazi Chris. :wink:
And darn proud of it! :)
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
grampajeep

Post by grampajeep »

AlanM wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:

Gerry
I agree "Law Enforcement Officer" might not begin with a vowel sound but L E O certainly does.
Unless you are pronouncing LEO the same as the nickname for Leonard, however, most of us, I think, pronounce it with three syllables.
Let's put this to bed, I agree with your point and you understand mine. :D If all things in life were that simple, we may not need these forums.
Gerry
hank.forker

Post by hank.forker »

I can't believe this thread hasn't been moved or locked yet... 8)
ulwbob
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ulwbob »

I just stumbled on this thread two years after the fact and have to say I just sat here in the middle of the night and read all 84 postings. I have to agree with the grammar nazis but also admit that yes, we all know what is meant when poor grammar is used. I also agree that the public has access to this board and could easily confuse us with a bunch of sterotypical "Bubbas" because some of the things I see here are so terribly, outrageously and poorly used. This topic is also a pet peeve of mine...and I am proud to say so and be another nazi.

My personal favorites (previously mentioned) are:
they're/their/there
xxxxxxx needs fixed/painted/repaired xxxxxxx needs to be fixed/painted/repaired
your/you're

The classic of all time was when I saw a run report from an ambulance crew on my fire department that said they had to extricate the patient from a stayshunwagin. I swear to the good Lord above that I saw it written that way with my own eyes!

Somewhere back in the previous 80+ postings someone said something about education level being an excuse for this behavior. Unless you flunked out of elementary (K-6) or junior high (7-8-9) school proper spelling and grammar should have been ingrained in you before you made it to high school. If I had turned in a report with these errors in it I would get it back with a poor grade, a wack with a ruler by the nun and then have to physically rewrite the entire thing in cursive and turn it in again.

It takes only a second's worth of thought to do it correctly. Why do it wrong and look like "Bubba?" Take pride in what you do.
Bob
Mason, Ohio
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Ulwbob...

...Thanks for your post, even though it's 2 years that this thread had a post...

I consider myself a successful person.......I also consider myself a un-educated person....

I also don't consider myself a bubba like you were referring to.....

Grammar and spelling are important but I don't consider it much in a person if he has neither....I look at his character more.....

So if you want to be what ever it is your posting about knock yourself out.....

"Just leaf us funnie talkin and spelin peeple to go about our un-educated lives.." :) Stay Safe....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I thought someone else posted as Carmen until the last line.
Yes, that was him.
:mrgreen:
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sgt. Erb

Post by Sgt. Erb »

true that DUDE!!!!! RRR
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Everwun pays attenshun when Bubba SPEAKS, grammer nazi not so much. ('specially in the slammer amongst white collar-ers.)
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Then/than
no it all

Come on folks. The liberal elite read this forum and laugh.
HancockCountyHaL