ccw stop

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sig239

ccw stop

Post by sig239 »

marion police i was turned in by a trucker who saw my firearm on me. was stopped by police who knew from my lic. that i was carrying he appologised for the stop and told me to have a good day :D
gd9704

Post by gd9704 »

Glad your experience was "good," it's just too bad we're forced to carry openly in the car, causing these sorts of encounters in the first place....
CMiddleton

follies

Post by CMiddleton »

At least now we have some ammo in our can to get the stupid things like oc in a car changed. This has got to annoy the police, as well as bog down the whole emergency response system. This diverts valuable resources to send the police to check out non-issues, like Joe Average drivng down the road, abiding by the law.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

nothing like hitting the freeway on the Iron Horse while strapping...

Anybody going to the show this weekend??? http://www.ohiogunshows.com/

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
aiformula

Post by aiformula »

tell me about it Tod.

Some soccer mom wigged out bad when she saw my gun strapped to my hip while I was out riding my sportbike one night. Once the local constabulary pulled me over, he was polite, I was miffed but professional, and he stated "I can't wait till you guys can keep those things covered up like they should be"

I've often thought about hopping a bus to ride downtown and exposing the weapon on the bus to be in compliance. Too bad I'm not independently wealthy to be able to afford the legal representation that would inevitably be required after that.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

I think I read this before:

"Some soccer mom wigged out bad when she saw my gun strapped to my hip while I was out riding my sportbike one night. Once the local constabulary pulled me over, he was polite, I was miffed but professional, and he stated "I can't wait till you guys can keep those things covered up like they should be"

Have you posted this elsewhere??

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
aiformula

Post by aiformula »

yup,

under the same name over on the xd forum.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

aiformula wrote:
I've often thought about hopping a bus to ride downtown and exposing the weapon on the bus to be in compliance. Too bad I'm not independently wealthy to be able to afford the legal representation that would inevitably be required after that.
It is altogether improper for the TARTA buses to proscribe open carry.

The law is very clear that we are required to keep our firearms in plain view when in a motor vehicle. The law is equally clear that we are not to carry concealed in state owned buildings. But a BUS is not a building -- check with any three-year-old!

I am in favor of such a "Freedom Ride". It would work very much like the Open Carry Walks did. You just need a BUNCH of people to do it -- it is not so easy to arrest people in bunches -- and sufficient advance notice to newpapers, radio and TV stations, etc. I tend to put a lot of stock in those who organized the original Open Carry Walks that did so much to get our legislature off the dime in the first place.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

tommcnaughton wrote:I am in favor of such a "Freedom Ride". It would work very much like the Open Carry Walks did. You just need a BUNCH of people to do it -- it is not so easy to arrest people in bunches -- and sufficient advance notice to newpapers, radio and TV stations, etc. I tend to put a lot of stock in those who organized the original Open Carry Walks that did so much to get our legislature off the dime in the first place.
I am too. Jeff Garvas made a good point on another thread about why open carry was so effective when we did it. There was legislation on the table that actually had a chance of passing. Before we start open carry freedom rides we need to make sure that we aren't just doing them to make noise. There needs to be a specific and reachable goal that we are trying to achieve. Unfortunately I think we are going to have to wait until Taft is gone before be get a decent chance at changing the car carry provisions and and calling attention to them with open carry freedom rides.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

For those of us HOG Members, we ride to make noise or else we would join the Vulcan Owners Group

:lol:

T
BB62

Post by BB62 »

tommcnaughton wrote:
...I am in favor of such a "Freedom Ride"...
Me too - sign me up!

BB62

Edited to fix formatting. - Cable
Ukraine Train

Post by Ukraine Train »

Party in the Park would be a good time to do it.
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

No, it really wouldn't. The PITP is a time to get together and enjoy each other's company, not a time to distract from the event with demonstrations.
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

Dan is right. We need to hold on to any trump cards we have until we have some good legislation on the table that has a chance of being passed. If we start open carry rides now it will be ho hum, old news when the chance to change the law rolls around. As much as I would love to get out there and make a big deal out of this I think we need to be patient with it. I organized an open carry walk in Cincinnati in December of 2003. When the time is ripe, I can assure you that I will organize another Cincinnati open carry bus or motorcycle ride.

I think we should use the picnic as a time to enjoy ourselves, pat ourselves on the back for what we have achieved so far, fire each other up on what we still have left to do, listen and ask questions of Jim Petro, and meet each other face to face so that we can improve our relationships and activist networks.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

Dan and Brian are right about waiting until there is legislation on the table to fix the issue. The first time on "Open Carry Ride" occurs it will make the local news and talk shows in the area. After the first one occurs, either it is no longer "news" or the media just does not seem to want to cover it.

When we did the Open Carry Walks, in the Fall of 2003, I recall we had three walks in the Greater Cincinnati Area. The first one was in Northside and it got a fairly large amount of press coverage. It was on the local television news, radio newscasts, in the local papers and the organizer, Vernon Ferrier was on local talk radio. There was a second walk in Norwood about a month or so later and there was no press coverage. Then there was a third walk around the Clifton/Corryville area, the first weekend in December, and again no press coverage. I remember speaking with someone who contacted the local media to alert them of upcoming walks and the response fo the media after the first walk was that the walks were no longer "News".

So, IMHO, our best bet is to wait until we have something that we can realistically achieve before we start conducting "Open Carry Rides". I will gladly participate when we do have them. There aren't many places that Queen City Metro goes that I would feel safe not carrying. And to think that when I was a kid, my family did not own a car so we rode the bus everywhere we went. My how times have changed.