Parma Heights Safety Director Rich Rob (sp?)

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Parma Heights Safety Director Rich Rob (sp?)

Post by OldManTod »

I just got off the phone with Rich Rob, Safety Director for the City of Parma Heights, OH. We had quite the colorful conversation I must say.

I called the Law Directors office to find out if in fact where the Party in the Commons was being held is posted as non-carry and the secretary transferred me to Rich.

He indicated that all parks are considered as non-carry in conjunction with the Ohio Law.

Now before I say more, the entire time he was saying that he doesn't understand (and as he puts it, he is a former law enforcement agent) why anybody would want to carry to a family oriented gathering, where other children and people are there to basically picnic, he says "thats what this is, a big picnic". I told him I carry to family picnics as well.

Anyway, I digress. He indicates that he isn't telling me when/why/where to carry, but there are police stations back there, libraries, fire stations, etc. back there which are prohibited to carry.

I told him that as he well knows, Police Officers can't be everywhere and I have grown accustomed to over the past year or so, enjoying the peace of mind to be able to defend myself in the event trouble were to arise.

His overall tone was that it is just downright silly to carry a concealed weapon, let alone to a friendly gathering and just cant understand why somebody would do that.

Anybody familiar enough with the city of Parma Heights to know the area that I am talking about (The Commons)?

Himself and the secretary are under the impression that all of the city parks are off limits and I informed them both that Toledo and Clyde are currently going through legal proceedings based on that bit of knowledge.

I also informed him that I engage with Law Enforcement Officers as often as possible to understand their climate as it relates to citizens carrying and that the folks that enforce laws here in the city are quite comfortable with it.

Just thought I would share.

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
loup

Just downright silly to carry a concealed firearm!

Post by loup »

Parks are not off limits according to Section 9 of the concealed carry law.
I got a Harley and guns, but not a Dodge. My guns are mostly Glocks as I shoot them well and they are simple. I usually carry a G23 in a Comp-Tac Pro Undercover or a G27 in a Pro Undercover.
My Harley, which I just bought last month after being without a motorcycle for 25 years is a 2001 Sportster. First Harley. Love the torque, but as I am me, I'm already looking at Anderson cams, roller rockers, and other heads.
I guess we're not going to find a lot of support in local government for our carrying concealed. The mindset seems to be that if you have a gun you're either a cop or a criminal. It may take some doing to change that. Riding around our cycles while open carrying may get some people to thinking.
Hope you enjoy the picnic. If you carry I'll bet nobody notices. As I watch people when I'm in public and in stores, I don't really see people scrutinizing other people for guns. And if it's concealed even less of a chance.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

parks are off limits?

city parks?

I wouldnt have been so calm.

an ex -LEO saying..."it is just downright silly to carry a concealed weapon, let alone to a friendly gathering and just cant understand why somebody would do that"

that {inappropriate language} me off :x

Ive mentioned it in other posts, I dislike parma and parma heights, and this news just makes it easier to keep on disliking them.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
CMiddleton

hypocrites

Post by CMiddleton »

Even though he ridiculed you for carrying, I bet he doesn't leave home without his weapon. That is just a double-standard, plain and simple.

The LEOs will be joining our cause soon enough, because the liberals don't just want our guns, they would disarm the police as well if there was no one to oppose them. "Now that the criminals and those gun nuts are disarmed, you don't need a weapon Mr. Officer, just use your night stick."

I just dont get why people can't understand the simplicity of this: The police are not obligated to protect you, the supreme court says so. You have to take it upon yourself to protect yourself.
It can be difficult to remember that your mission was to drain the swamp, when you are up to your butt in alligators.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

I have been just kinda mulling over the conversation and recounting the statements made and at this point I am really wondering if anybody in our city has a clue as to the laws and how they should be enforced.

In a situation like this would one write the police department or the law department (or the mayor for that matter) to inquire as to the preparations our city has taken to ensure that the law is being properly enforced.??

Thanks,

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Contact Bruce Beatty. Stage your own picnic in the park while carrying.

Contact the police, mayor, etc. ahead of time just to make sure they know you will be carrying in their posted parks. If that isn't enough, I would call them from the park just to let them know "I'm here and I'm carrying!! Drop by!".

Cities and other governmental bodies pass laws and post signs because they know most people are clueless, and/or have neither the time nor the money to fight 'em.

The above suggestions cost nothing, and if an arrest is undertaken, might just GET you money.

BB62
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: ....

Post by jgarvas »

OldManTod wrote:I have been just kinda mulling over the conversation and recounting the statements made and at this point I am really wondering if anybody in our city has a clue as to the laws and how they should be enforced.

In a situation like this would one write the police department or the law department (or the mayor for that matter) to inquire as to the preparations our city has taken to ensure that the law is being properly enforced.??

Thanks,

T
I would visit the park and see if it is posted.

OFCC does NOT recommend confrontational activism like our "Armed Defense Walks" or the actions Bruce is taking. We have the law on our side today.

We had -no- concealed carry law when we did the armed defense walks.

There is no reason to antagonize the local officials when we have the law on our side. OFCC went to great lengths to try to discuss the situation with Clyde before we ever filed a lawsuit.

Once you know if the park is posted, the issue is either resolved (there are no signs) or we need to follow up with the city.

More importantly, its not Section 9 of HB12 that prohibits local ordinances, but the long standing tradition that local laws may not take away what the state law declares lawful activity. They can not conflict. Section 9 of HB12 is merely non-enforceable declaration of intent and it is intentionally not codified in Ohio Revised Code. (If it were, they could declare it unconstitutional).

Please, investigate the park's status and let us know if its posted or not. You can more eloquently resolve a situation peacefully than pulling out the "last resort" of a picnic or an armed defense walk.

-Jeff
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

jgarvas wrote:...I would visit the park and see if it is posted...
IMHO, Jeff G. is right - I assumed that the parks were posted because of what the Safety Director said.

So, see if there are signs posted first - if they are, THEN you can move on to antagonizing the local officials in various ways! :D

BB62
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

All of the parks here in Defiance are posted :x
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Wayne wrote:All of the parks here in Defiance are posted :x
Sounds like you ought to start going up the ladder with them.

BB62
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

All of the ladders here lead to the vacuum of space between the ears....The onlything that could possibly fill the void would be a lawsuit...or maybe toledo or clyde loosing theirs :D
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
BB62

Re: ....

Post by BB62 »

OldManTod wrote:...In a situation like this would one write the police department or the law department (or the mayor for that matter) to inquire as to the preparations our city has taken to ensure that the law is being properly enforced.??...
Where do things stand, Tod?

BB62
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't caught up with all the posts after I got back from Kansas City (and Cedar Point) this week.

There were no signs posted anywhere, basically a portion of the celebration (food booth's, etc.) was in the parking lot of the Police station and the rest was located in the "park" area.

No signs, lots of 5-0 (nobody has figured out why sometimes they are referred to as 5-0?), no problems (I was definitely carrying, but as the key word is concealed, it was obviously concealed well).

Nice little gathering, but I am definitely seeing where and why people ask if these city Law Directors are doing their job of informing the folks that need to be informed.

T
BB62

Post by BB62 »

The reason some people refer to cops as 5-0 is because of the old show "Hawaii Five-O". Five-O was a special police unit, not the state police. In fact, there is no state police agency in Hawaii.

Hey, guess what they (on Oahu) call their metro bus service there? If you guessed "The Bus", you win a prize!

http://www.thebus.org/default.asp

BB62