Plain leather as a deadly weapon

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Plain leather as a deadly weapon

Post by sodbuster95 »

What qualifies as a "deadly weapon" under Ohio law?

Until this morning, I thought it was pretty clear. Per R.C. 2923.11(A), "'Deadly weapon' means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon."

This morning, I was informed by a Lucas County Deputy Sheriff that my interpretation of that fairly straightforward definition is horribly mistaken.

As I usually do when going into the various courthouses I am in on a routine basis, I unholstered my firearm (clearly, a deadly weapon) and secured it in my vehicle. However, I left my Bianchi belt-slide leather holster in place. It has been my long-standing belief that an empty leather holster was just that - a piece of, if not benevolent then at least non-malicious, leather. Once deadly to a cow, perhaps, but that would seem to the extent of any malevolence.

Not so, according to the Lucas County Deputy Sheriff working security at Toledo Municipal Court this morning. Rather, so I was informed, this otherwise nondescript piece of black leather is verboten. Cowhide-non-grata, as it were. Skeptically, I inquired how this was so and was informed that an empty holster does, in fact, constitute a "deadly weapon" under Ohio law. Helpfully, when I disagreed with him, he became physically threatening and stated that he was going "put [me] in custody". Though, to be fair, I'm pretty confident that threat was the result of the daring and unforgivable gall I exhibited in challenging the Deputy's unassailable legal acumen.

After all, I'm just an attorney. What could I possibly know about the law?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Plain leather as a deadly weapon

Post by WY_Not »

Really hope you are escalating this to his boss, their boss, and their boss. He either needs educated or he needs a new career or preferably both.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

One of the fellows I was lobbying with this morning at the statehouse was open carrying an empty holster.
One of the Staties guarding the place asked him "Do you have a gun in there?"

My point being, OSHP ain't skeered of no empty holsters
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

This deputy is a certified moron that should be outed and educated.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

WY_Not wrote:Really hope you are escalating this to his boss, their boss, and their boss. He either needs educated or he needs a new career or preferably both.
At the risk of LEO-bashing (which is not at all my intent), I expect those sworn to enforce the law to actually *know* the law. As such, I'm drafting correspondence on this incident to the Sheriff, the Presiding Judge, and the Court Administrator.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

He may have been confused with the piece of leather that said holster was attached to, also known as a garrote, capable of crushing a 38 inch neck in my case.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

sodbuster95 wrote:What qualifies as a "deadly weapon" under Ohio law?

Until this morning, I thought it was pretty clear. Per R.C. 2923.11(A), "'Deadly weapon' means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon."

This morning, I was informed by a Lucas County Deputy Sheriff that my interpretation of that fairly straightforward definition is horribly mistaken.

As I usually do when going into the various courthouses I am in on a routine basis, I unholstered my firearm (clearly, a deadly weapon) and secured it in my vehicle. However, I left my Bianchi belt-slide leather holster in place. It has been my long-standing belief that an empty leather holster was just that - a piece of, if not benevolent then at least non-malicious, leather. Once deadly to a cow, perhaps, but that would seem to the extent of any malevolence.

Not so, according to the Lucas County Deputy Sheriff working security at Toledo Municipal Court this morning. Rather, so I was informed, this otherwise nondescript piece of black leather is verboten. Cowhide-non-grata, as it were. Skeptically, I inquired how this was so and was informed that an empty holster does, in fact, constitute a "deadly weapon" under Ohio law. Helpfully, when I disagreed with him, he became physically threatening and stated that he was going "put [me] in custody". Though, to be fair, I'm pretty confident that threat was the result of the daring and unforgivable gall I exhibited in challenging the Deputy's unassailable legal acumen.

After all, I'm just an attorney. What could I possibly know about the law?
Before I retired, I wore empty holsters into just about every courthouse in southwestern Ohio, including the federal one. The only time I've ever been give grief about doing that was when I went to the Social Security Office in Clermont County.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Heard of this very thing before. In fact, we've had people on this board state they too were chastised/detained/whatever for daring to wear an empty holster in to a "secure area".

It's like someone so afraid of snakes, that they are frightened by a picture of a snake printed on a t-shirt. I've seen that too.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote:One of the fellows I was lobbying with this morning at the statehouse was open carrying an empty holster.
One of the Staties guarding the place asked him "Do you have a gun in there?"

My point being, OSHP ain't skeered of no empty holsters
You missed a chance to go all Bill Engvall (Blue Collar Comedy Tour guy) on the Statie: "Why yes sir, these here are the very first invisible handguns ever invented. Here's your sign!" :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.