Encounter with Sheriff deputies at Stark County Fair today

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: Encounter with Sheriff deputies at Stark County Fair tod

Postby 3FULLMAGS+1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:18 pm

ParaC7 wrote:I would have said, "I'll lock mine in my car at the same time you lock yours in your car".

Funny thing is, some carriers "would" take their guns back to their cars if asked by LE, in this situation..... :roll:
Darrel

They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby OhioPaints » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:11 am

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:Funny thing is, some carriers "would" take their guns back to their cars if asked by LE, in this situation..... :roll:

Which would increase the risk of the gun being stolen from the car and ending up in criminal hands. That would be a real improvement in public safety..NOT!
OhioPaints

Postby Col Duke » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Not an encounter, but a year ago at this time I called the Warren Co Sheriff's Office asking about carrying the next day at the Warren Co Fair. The deputy I spoke with couldn't have been nicer, told me I was absolutely welcome to carry, thanked me for calling, and invited me to stop by their booth to say hello. I went, I carried, had no problems.

I do have a question relative to Ohio fairgrounds, however. The wife and I attend auctions at the Greene Co (Xenia) Fairgrounds and I see individual buildings (as opposed to the entire fairgrounds) posted, usually those used for 4-H/FAA purposes like showing animals and displaying artsy crafty things. I never needed to go in those buildings so never gave them much thought until reading this thread. Are those signs legal under Ohio law?
Col Duke

Postby JustaShooter » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:26 am

Col Duke wrote:The wife and I attend auctions at the Greene Co (Xenia) Fairgrounds and I see individual buildings (as opposed to the entire fairgrounds) posted, usually those used for 4-H/FAA purposes like showing animals and displaying artsy crafty things. I never needed to go in those buildings so never gave them much thought until reading this thread. Are those signs legal under Ohio law?

Possibly. Ohio law says that a "government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility" is a no-carry zone unless the government entity passes a law or adopts a rule allowing carry there. And, Ohio law defines a government facility as follows:

(3) "Government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state" means any of the following:

(a) A building or part of a building that is owned or leased by the government of this state or a political subdivision of this state and where employees of the government of this state or the political subdivision regularly are present for the purpose of performing their official duties as employees of the state or political subdivision;

(b) The office of a deputy registrar serving pursuant to Chapter 4503. of the Revised Code that is used to perform deputy registrar functions.

So, do those buildings qualify? Some might say they are shelters, and others might say they fail to satisfy the definition above. But, unlike the fairgrounds themselves, they at least have some legal basis to post them.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby Cruiser » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 am

Quite a few of those smaller buildings are owned and maintained by those various organisations. Thus making them private. And they can do pretty much what they want. Example: we have a VFW lunch stand that is posted.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby OhioPaints » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 am

Cruiser wrote:Quite a few of those smaller buildings are owned and maintained by those various organisations. Thus making them private. And they can do pretty much what they want. Example: we have a VFW lunch stand that is posted.

But a BIG difference is that the privately owned buildings are only misdemeanor territory. The government buildings are felony ground.

If the building is owned by local government but leased to a private organization, is it felony or misdemeanor territory? AFAIK, the law is not clear on that.

Ken
OhioPaints

Previous

Return to Real Life Encounters