Gun turn in program in Hamilton Ohio on Friday

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Gun turn in program in Hamilton Ohio on Friday

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/ha ... JwiK9PAkM/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Street Rescue is not an anti-gun program, but it instead is anti violence, he said. It offers people a safe opportunity to turn in such weapons without being accused of criminal activity, he said.

Similar events in Cincinnati areas like Over-the-Rhine, Avondale and Evanston have had 5-20 weapons turned in. About one-third of them were loaded. This is the first event in Butler County.

Tassell said former state Rep. Dale Mallory, D-Cincinnati, who served in the Ohio House of Representatives from 2007-14, once found a rusted shotgun during a tour and, despite his respected position, wondered whether he would be accused of wrongdoing for turning it in. Mallory told Tassell he realized how much more reluctant a non-official would be.

“We developed Street Rescue to be a no-questions-asked, kind of no-fear zone, where you can bring in any weapon, no questions asked about it, and just turn it in,” he said. No names are necessary, he added. Ammunition also is accepted.

Hamilton police are on board, Tassell said. In fact, Chief Craig Bucheit introduced Tassell to Pastor Shaquila Mathews, better known as “Pastor Shaq,” of the Truth & Life Community Church.
Here's something most anti gunners are vehemently opposed to.
Those who turn in guns receive gift cards as thank-yous. Afterward, guns with serial numbers scratched off must be destroyed, Tassell said. Those with numbers are checked to see if they were stolen. If so, they are returned to their owners. Other good weapons go to federally licensed firearms dealers who can sell them, with the proceeds returning to the non-profit program.
JEaton

Re: Gun turn in program in Hamilton Ohio on Friday

Post by JEaton »

This charity has been doing these in Cincinnati and I think they are doing it as close to 'right' as you can.

Focus on 'community guns' and only destroy the ones that can no longer be lawfully owned. Use the good ones to generate more revenue for group and to provide more low cost firearms to lawful buyers then lather, rinse, repeat.

JLE
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Wonder if I can get up there... I have a "Saturday Night Special" .25 cal purse gun my MIL bought in Mexico in the 60s. No idea if it functions - no make, model, or serial number on it.

It was entrusted to me as "the gun guy" and I'd love to get a couple of $$ for it.

Sure as God made little green apples I'm not going to shoot it.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

147Doc wrote:Wonder if I can get up there... I have a "Saturday Night Special" .25 cal purse gun my MIL bought in Mexico in the 60s. No idea if it functions - no make, model, or serial number on it.

It was entrusted to me as "the gun guy" and I'd love to get a couple of $$ for it.

Could be a Trejo. Rare here, and possibly valuable.

Word to the wise:
  1. Clear the gun.
  2. Cycle the slide to cock it.
  3. Pull the trigger and watch the hammer fall (I don't know if they have a magazine safety, insert empty magazine, if necessary.).
  4. While holding the trigger down, cycle the slide.
  5. If the hammer falls, ditch it.
As I recall, some of the Trejos were machine pistols.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

deanimator wrote:
147Doc wrote:Wonder if I can get up there... I have a "Saturday Night Special" .25 cal purse gun my MIL bought in Mexico in the 60s. No idea if it functions - no make, model, or serial number on it.

Could be a Trejo. Rare here, and possibly valuable.

Word to the wise:
  1. Clear the gun.
  2. Cycle the slide to cock it.
  3. Pull the trigger and watch the hammer fall (I don't know if they have a magazine safety, insert empty magazine, if necessary.).
  4. While holding the trigger down, cycle the slide.
  5. If the hammer falls, ditch it.
As I recall, some of the Trejos were machine pistols.
Yes some of them were. When I was a little kid someone who worked with my Dad got one from Mexico. He legally registered it as a machine gun in the US because back then you could do that. But then back then you could do a lot of things, like buy a semi auto pistol or M1 carbine at a 5 & dime or hardware store without filling out any government forms either. It was the first time I ever got a chance to shoot a full auto firearm. It was selective fire and on full auto would empty the single stack magazine in about a half second. Very controllable though, and looked well built to be safe in firing full auto in that caliber. It looked like a reduced size 1911, not what you would consider a pocket pistol unless you had big pockets. Definitely bigger than a typical .25 vest pocket size pistol. His pistol had a serial number. They might've made some in .25 but the guy that bought it said that his was in .22 because the centerfire full auto versions were only legal in Mexico to civilians if they were in a rimfire caliber, not centerfire. Of course this was over a half century ago. :(