FL - School conducts active shooter drill - panic ensues

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

FL - School conducts active shooter drill - panic ensues

Post by Bruenor »

So you didn't tell the students and parents about it, then want to punish a student for warning others ? I don't understand....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... chool.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Police have released frantic 911 calls from students and parents at a Florida high school where an active-shooter drill was conducted earlier this month without warning it was just an exercise.
Panic was caused when a Lake Brantley student shared a screenshot of an alert that some teachers received during the drill, warning of an active shooter on campus.
The text message alert read: 'Active Shooter reported at Brantley/ Building 1/ Building 2 and other buildings by B Shafer at 10:21:45. Initiate a Code Red Lockdown.'
Principal Trent Daniel sent out an email that said administrators believe a student is responsible for the 'campus disruption caused by a social media post.'

Daniel said that a second incident 'started in the cafeteria' when the post was 'disseminated to other students and parents.'

Daniel added the incident is being investigated as a 'disciplinary matter and all responsible parties will be disciplined.'
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: FL - School conducts active shooter drill - panic ensues

Post by schmieg »

School administrators do tend to be idiots.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Every school administrator involved needs to face charges for inducing panic and be held financially responsible for any injuries.

Hold a drill like this, fail to notify all involved that it is just a drill, and then want to punish my child for their reaction?!?! I don't think so.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

[sarc/]Oh, but WY, you don't understand military drills, we have to punish the innocents for their insolence to teach them to comply before during and after our presence is known. This is the whole point, is to gauge how much "training" is still needed before the event goes live.[/sarc]
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

How much training does it take to stand outside the school until the shooting stops?
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

deanimator wrote:How much training does it take to stand outside the school until the shooting stops?
(sarc. alert)

Stand outside the school until the shooting stops? Oh no. That will never do. All potential victims must exit the school with their hands raised, be rounded up and properly frisked. Then eventually transported to a designated release site. It's all part of the drill.

(sarc. off)

I really do understand the tactic of total control of the incident, (assume EVERYBODY is OUR enemy). I think that tactic is flawed and training should include the possibility that THE first responder may well be one of the intended victims.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WestonDon wrote:
deanimator wrote:How much training does it take to stand outside the school until the shooting stops?
(sarc. alert)

Stand outside the school until the shooting stops? Oh no. That will never do. All potential victims must exit the school with their hands raised, be rounded up and properly frisked. Then eventually transported to a designated release site. It's all part of the drill.

(sarc. off)

I really do understand the tactic of total control of the incident, (assume EVERYBODY is OUR enemy). I think that tactic is flawed and training should include the possibility that THE first responder may well be one of the intended victims.
I think he might've been referring to an SRO or a first responder instead of the potential victims. (Parkland) At least that's the feeling I got when I read it.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Yeah. I misunderstood it. I see that now.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

M-Quigley wrote:
WestonDon wrote:
(sarc. alert)

(sarc. off)

I think he might've been referring to an SRO or a first responder instead of the potential victims. (Parkland) At least that's the feeling I got when I read it.
You are correct.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.