Dicks considers removing Hunting supplies from stores

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Dicks considers removing Hunting supplies from stores

Post by Bruenor »

Guess their sales are continuing to decline.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... cline.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dick's Sporting Goods is considering taking hunting supplies off its shelves in more of its 732 stores across the US, in light of declining sales in the sector.

Dick's, which operates Dick's Sporting Goods, Field & Stream and Golf Galaxy stores, announced a planned test-run in August, announcing it would pull the products from 10 of its stores where the sales of the gear had performed the poorest.
Although the decision to drop assault rifles from its shelves and raise the minimum purchase age for firearms to 21 at its stores was political, the shift away from hunting items is purely based on the bottom line for Dick's.

The third-quarter net sales report for Dick's showed a decline to $1.86 billion from $1.94 billion in the third quarter of 2017, with adjusted same-store sales down 3.9 percent.

'Sales continue to be negatively impacted by double-digit declines in hunt and electronics,' CFO Lee Belitsky said.

'Specific to hunt, in addition to the strategic decisions we made regarding firearms earlier this year, the broader industry has decelerated and remains weak, as evidenced by most recent background-check data' for firearms purchases.
Like how they try to say it's industry wide decline in the market. Yeah that's the reason for the decline at your stores...
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Dicks considers removing Hunting supplies from stores

Post by qmti »

Gee, go figure. When a retailer alienates a certain segment of their customers what do they expect. Their new floor plans will be aimed athletic goods and outdoor products like camping. I went passed Field and Stream last weekend and they had half the traffic (parking lot) that Cabella's had.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Given their hideous customer service, they appear to have gotten out of SALES in general a long time ago.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Hyflyer

Post by Hyflyer »

What's a "Dick's Sporting Goods"? Is that the retailer I remember from a history book?
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

The last item I bought at Dicks was a gun cabinet. It was $20 cheaper than Walmart and my wife found the deal for me as a Christmas present but felt it was too heavy for her to handle picking it up. I showed up with receipt (she bought it online) and went to the kiosk for pickup as one of the employees instructed me too. I then waited for over 45 minutes while two other people got their stuff. I finally flagged somebody down, asked to speak to a manager and an argument ensued over who should bring it out. Another 20 minutes later I finally pulled off with the "convenient" pickup. A few months later, they took their political stand and I will never be back again, for anything.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

catfish86 wrote:The last item I bought at Dicks was a gun cabinet. It was $20 cheaper than Walmart and my wife found the deal for me as a Christmas present but felt it was too heavy for her to handle picking it up. I showed up with receipt (she bought it online) and went to the kiosk for pickup as one of the employees instructed me too. I then waited for over 45 minutes while two other people got their stuff. I finally flagged somebody down, asked to speak to a manager and an argument ensued over who should bring it out. Another 20 minutes later I finally pulled off with the "convenient" pickup. A few months later, they took their political stand and I will never be back again, for anything.
You know your customer service model is flawed when Walmart does a better job.

The worst part is that there was a Galyan's at Great Northern in North Olmsted. Dick's bought out Galyan's.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Headlines: Dick's Sporting Goods Chose Social Justice Warriors over it's Customers.

Dick's Sporting Goods told investors during the Goldman Sachs Retailing Conference that its gun-control stance hurt sales of its hunting business, outdoors business, and that it may close its outdoor-focused Field & Stream stores. Edward Stack, chairman and CEO of Dick's, said during the event that the sporting goods chain's recent 3.9 percent drop in same-store sales was the result of a mix of factors beyond their control as well as some he called "self-imposed." Specifically, he said, "the decisions we made on firearms" negatively affected their bottom line but the drop in sales was something they expected. They did not, however, regret their decision to change a number of their gun-sales policies and back new gun-control legislation.

Dicks not only abandoned selling AR-15s and other guns, but then hired anti-gun lobbyists to lobby for gun control. They treated their customers like the enemy and the customers responded.

From a article on MSN today.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Ironically in the OP article, the CEO denied that the gun control decision had any impact on its bottom line overall.

"Pointing to these reasons for low sales numbers, Dick's has said removing assault weapons from its stores has not been a contributing factor."
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

catfish86 wrote:Ironically in the OP article, the CEO denied that the gun control decision had any impact on its bottom line overall.

"Pointing to these reasons for low sales numbers, Dick's has said removing assault weapons from its stores has not been a contributing factor."
That's like Hitler saying in the spring of 1945, "Our invasion of the Soviet Union has nothing to do with the current interruption of mail service to and from East Prussia."
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Took em a while to decide but they are goin for it.
https://www.westernjournal.com/dicks-sp ... ty-stores/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Two years after banning so-called “assault weapons, Dick’s Sporting Goods has announced it will now eliminate the hunting section and all firearms from a majority of its stores.

The retailer made the announcement while reporting better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings Tuesday, according to Fox Business.

Apparently emboldened by increased sales of baseballs and outerwear, Dick’s will stop selling firearms in 440 of its stores and completely eliminate the hunting section in those locations by the end of this fiscal year.

The hunting section already had been eliminated from 125 Dick’s locations. Company CEO Edward Stack told Market Watch last year the departments would be replaced with “categories and products that can drive growth.”

Dick’s has not ruled out removing guns from all locations.
Haven't been in a Dicks or Field and Stream in a loooong time. no loss for me.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Much to my displeasure i was given a 20 dollar DICKs card at Christmas. :twisted: I will spent as close to the 20 as possible. Don't want to see them profit the entire 20 if unused.
Black Rifles Matter
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

steves 50de wrote:Much to my displeasure i was given a 20 dollar DICKs card at Christmas. :twisted: I will spent as close to the 20 as possible. Don't want to see them profit the entire 20 if unused.
$20 of batteries, or jerky, or some other expendable that you're sure you won't need to return.

And take that person off the card list, eh? :P
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Hmm what's the lowest margin item they have.. OR cash it in at one of the gift card kiosks for a card you'll use. yes you'll take a loss, yes Dicks still got paid, but you can shop elsewhere.

Tough call
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Bruenor wrote:Hmm what's the lowest margin item they have.. OR cash it in at one of the gift card kiosks for a card you'll use. yes you'll take a loss, yes Dicks still got paid, but you can shop elsewhere.

Tough call

Ironically, guns are probably their lowest percentage margin item (are/were...I haven’t been in there since they decided I’m not good enough to shop there)
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
drc

Post by drc »

They should stop selling Carhartts. Biff and Buffy don't wear Carhartts. The folks that tend to wear Carhartts are the working people, hunting fishing type people, etc, not soccer mom and dads.

Eventually they will hit the death spiral, they just don't know it yet. Golf is on its way out. I know of 5, once very popular , old golf courses, that are now either houses, got absorbed back into the Cuy Valley Park system, are on the verge of being covered by houses, etc. There were all within 25 miles of Norton, Ohio. Biff and Buffy don't golf.

Once PETA objects to hunting fish, there go the rods,reels, bobbers and hooks.

Just like cities, once you put the liberals in charge, there goes the neighborhood.