Hockey Pucks vs active killers.

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Hockey Pucks vs active killers.

Post by Bruenor »

Hockey pucks are the answer.. who knew ?

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/oak ... classrooms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Faculty at Oakland University are being trained by university police to fight gunmen in their classrooms.

The training sessions have been organized by OU's faculty union, the American Association of University Professors.
According to Gordon, to fight effectively, faculty and students need to be prepared to throw objects that are heavy and will cause a distraction.

Hockey pucks provide the ability to be carried in brief cases or backpacks, are not considered a weapon, and will meet the goal of distracting the shooter, according to Gordon.

Currently, the union has distributed the pucks to its 800 members and is working with student groups to distribute an additional 1,700 pucks to students.
Reminds me of the canned food, buckets of rocks, and mini ball bats.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Hockey Pucks vs active killers.

Post by techmike »

Ahh yes. The American Association of University Professors, very well known for their mastery of self defensive arts. Puck Masters, so to speak.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I was given a bucket with a hammer and golf balls to fight back an intruder. Now I wish I was given hockey pucks instead so I'd actually be safe. :roll:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Hockey pucks provide the ability to be carried in brief cases or backpacks, are not considered a weapon,
Hopefully they're not giving the same advice to their Ohio members. Under Ohio law if you're carrying anything as a weapon then it's a weapon. If it's capable of inflicting serious bodily harm or death (as most blunt force weapons are) then it's a deadly weapon. If it's in a briefcase or backpack then it's a concealed deadly weapon. Oopsie.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

djthomas wrote:
Hockey pucks provide the ability to be carried in brief cases or backpacks, are not considered a weapon,
Hopefully they're not giving the same advice to their Ohio members. Under Ohio law if you're carrying anything as a weapon then it's a weapon. If it's capable of inflicting serious bodily harm or death (as most blunt force weapons are) then it's a deadly weapon. If it's in a briefcase or backpack then it's a concealed deadly weapon. Oopsie.
That was my first thought as well. If I'm carrying a chain with a lock as I'm riding a bicycle, then I have a bike lock. If my bike is at home and I'm walking into a riot with the same equipment, it's no longer a bike lock.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

djthomas wrote:
Hopefully they're not giving the same advice to their Ohio members. Under Ohio law if you're carrying anything as a weapon then it's a weapon. If it's capable of inflicting serious bodily harm or death (as most blunt force weapons are) then it's a deadly weapon. If it's in a briefcase or backpack then it's a concealed deadly weapon.
I suspect many state laws are similar.
djthomas wrote:Oopsie.
Indeed.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Javelin Man wrote:I was given a bucket with a hammer and golf balls to fight back an intruder. Now I wish I was given hockey pucks instead so I'd actually be safe. :roll:
It's too bad you weren't give a putter instead of a hammer. It might not make you safer in an active shooting situation, but thankfully those are rare and you'd at least have something that is useful for something. (although you might be less productive at work)
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I have an old clays hand thrower vintage 70s. Spring action, could this be adapted to sling the hockey puck. I just wonder. Yes , I know it sounds toopid, but I think I could sell it to the Admin. After all , they are actively 'buying in' to weird, untested and untried self defense ideas.

Shucks even without training they could shop from my signature line i.e. ''water baloon (diversionary)''....

:P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I remember the story about carrying a baseball bat walking around town. That is OK as long as you have baseball in your pocket! Not so good without the baseball.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Pucking idiots.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB