Company discovers good guys with guns deters crime

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Company discovers good guys with guns deters crime

Post by Bruenor »

I think we could all have predicted the outcome of the experiment.
https://ktul.com/news/local/quiktrip-to ... lsa-stores" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This has already been tested in one store in Wichita, Kansas, and they said it's been a success.
With increasing crime at its stores, QuikTrip says they are now taking matters into their own hands.

They've already started the process of hiring new employees that'll you see behind the counter that are licensed to carry.
"They're going to have all the proper certifications, credentials; we're going to go through all the background checks. We're probably going to do way above probably what's required, because we want to do it the right way," explained Thornbrugh.

He adds that they're aiming to hire veterans and people with a background in law enforcement.
The armed employees will only be at certain Tulsa QT locations and will be paid more than their regular clerks.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
djthomas

Re: Company discovers good guys with guns deters crime

Post by djthomas »

Curious how this will play out in the real world. I know a fella who used to work for a competitor chain - think it might have been Sheetz, not 100% sure. Anyway, he quit because he had no management support on issues of law and order. A drunk guy came into the store late one night and started cussing at customers, urinating on the floor, eating the junk food without paying and threatening to come back with a bat and kill my friend. Following policy, my friend called corporate security who told him to call local law enforcement.

He calls the cops, they come flying in and rightly put down the upriser. They want him to sign the complaint, so per policy he's back on the phone with corporate security. This absolutely worthless department tells him it's a local matter and he needs his boss to make the call. So he calls his boss, who of course was angry that he called her at 12:30 AM. After explaining the situation and getting one of the police officers on the line she says "yeah sign whatever they want." Fast forward a week. He gets written up by his boss's boss for signing a police complaint without authorization, being disrespectful to a customer (the drunk) and not putting up "slippery floor" signs as soon as the guy "had an accident" (the euphemism for violently urinating on the newspaper stand).

When he protested that he did have his manager's authorization to sign, his manager threw him under the bus saying "oh no, I had no idea what you were explaining. You shouldn't have called me at 12:30 AM. If I'd known what was happening I would have said don't sign." As to the slippery floor sign, he wasn't coming out from behind the counter until police arrived, another decision they disagreed with. Lastly on the being rude part, the f bombs came from the cops when they made the guy eat pavement.

So corporate dropped the charges against the guy when he called to complain complain about his treatment, attributing the f bombs to the clerk, something no doubt every drunk remembers with crystal clarity.

That was just one example. He quit a few weeks later when they wrote him up for not trying to apprehend a shoplifter, something that corporate policy absolutely forbid him from doing.

Sorry, but I expect any place I work for to have my back when I do what I'm told, but especially if they're going to give me a weapon and ask me to protect their property with it. Maybe things are different at Quik-T, but it's a very homogeneous business environment.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Actually when the waive the flag and praise the badge crowd talks about how much danger cops are in when they over-react and kill someone, I like to point out that more convenience store clerks are killed then cops every year. Finally they get it.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

My wife worked in retail and was good at spotting shop lifters but company policy forebade stopping them.