MD ERPO - gun owner killed during early morning confiscation

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

MD ERPO - gun owner killed during early morning confiscation

Post by Bruenor »

sure would like ot know he background on this, who filed the request and why..
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/shoo ... -firearms/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gary J. Willis, 61, opened the door to his home with a gun in his hand when two police officers came knocking at 5:17 a.m. on Nov. 5. Anne Arundel County police say Willis put the gun on a table next to the door, but “became irate” when the officers explained that they had come to confiscate his firearms.

Willis grabbed his gun and a struggle ensued, during which the firearm discharged. No one was injured, but the officer not engaged in the struggle shot Willis, and he died at the scene.
the Baltimore Sun spoke with Michele Willis, Gary’s niece, who believes one of Willis’ sisters requested that police temporarily remove his guns, attributing the action to “family being family.”

Ms. Willis said her uncle “likes to speak his mind,” but she described him as harmless.

“I’m just dumbfounded right now,” she said. “My uncle wouldn’t hurt anybody. They didn’t need to do what they did.”
Anne Arundel County Police Chief Timothy Altomare disagrees. He told the Capital Gazette that Willis’ death is evidence that the new red flag law is needed and working.

“If you look at this morning’s outcome, it’s tough for us to say ‘Well, what did we prevent?’ ” he said. “Because we don’t know what we prevented or could’ve prevented. What would’ve happened if we didn’t go there at 5 a.m.?”
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: MD ERPO - gun owner killed during early morning confisca

Post by WestonDon »

There are so many things wrong with this story I don't even know where to begin. Why 5:17 AM? Do they think he's going to flush his guns down the freakin' toilet? I'd say one is more likely to be met at the door by a guy with a gun and a defensive attitude at o'dark thirty than the middle of the day. What did they think was going to happen? And of course there's the whole due process issue. Grrr.

Fortunately the "red flag" law HB585/SB288 currently in the Ohio legislature doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

WestonDon wrote:There are so many things wrong with this story I don't even know where to begin. Why 5:17 AM? Do they think he's going to flush his guns down the freakin' toilet? I'd say one is more likely to be met at the door by a guy with a gun and a defensive attitude at o'dark thirty than the middle of the day. What did they think was going to happen? And of course there's the whole due process issue. Grrr.

Fortunately the "red flag" law HB585/SB288 currently in the Ohio legislature doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
I live way out in the county and if someone was knocking on my door at 5:17am and even if they said they were law enforcement I would still call 911 to verify. If forced entry was trying to be made there very well could be protective gunfire. There are many records on file of people impersonating law enforcement.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

It's Maryland. They probably thought that was the optimal outcome.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

qmti wrote:
WestonDon wrote:There are so many things wrong with this story I don't even know where to begin. Why 5:17 AM? Do they think he's going to flush his guns down the freakin' toilet? I'd say one is more likely to be met at the door by a guy with a gun and a defensive attitude at o'dark thirty than the middle of the day. What did they think was going to happen? And of course there's the whole due process issue. Grrr.

I live way out in the county and if someone was knocking on my door at 5:17am and even if they said they were law enforcement I would still call 911 to verify. If forced entry was trying to be made there very well could be protective gunfire. There are many records on file of people impersonating law enforcement.
Well, just saw this article on MSN today:

Miami Herald
He pretended to be a cop — then murdered two teens in the woods, deputies say.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

How long until the State confiscates people's cars because somebody called in and called him a raging alcoholic?
How long until the State confiscates children because somebody called in to accuse a father of malice in discipline/correction?

Moar from the "Somebody called the cops" file:
He was given minimal information when police took him into custody, according to his attorney Rick Flores.

When Precopia asked police why he was being arrested, Flores says police told his client, "Don't act like you don't know."

SNIP

He was charged with burglary of a habitation with the intent to commit other crimes, a felony offense that carries the possibility of a life sentence.

"I had no idea who accused me of this, I had no idea why everything was happening," Precopia told KVUE. "I was constantly fearful as to what could happen the next day . . . I was going to sleep hoping I wouldn't wake up, just to get away from it."

After spending more than a day in jail, Precopia's parents took out loans to post his $150,000 bond and pay for a lawyer in an effort to prove their son was innocent, Flores said.

As Precopia's family worked to clear his name, his mother, Erin, realized she possessed a piece of evidence that could exonerate him: a selfie taken at 7:02 p.m. on Sept. 20, 2017, at the Renaissance Austin Hotel.

His accuser had told police that she was attacked by Precopia at 7:20 p.m. that same day in her Bell County home, nearly 70 miles away. Cellphone towers also helped pinpoint Precopia's actual location, Flores said.

"He was very fortunate that she chose a date and time that he just happened to have a rock-solid alibi for," Flores said. "He and I have talked many times about how lucky he is, whether you believe in a higher power or good old-fashioned luck."
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798