Police shoot security guard that stopped bar shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Police shoot security guard that stopped bar shooting

Post by Bruenor »

The hazards of being armed when the police show up..

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/11/12 ... ry-lounge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a fight broke out around 4 a.m. Sunday, and someone started shooting. Four people were wounded, including the gunman.

The shooting prompted a massive police response. Witnesses said Roberson was armed, and had tackled a suspect, when police arrived at the scene.

Midlothian police and Cook County Sheriff’s officials confirmed officers from several agencies responded to the shooting, and a Midlothian police officer shot an armed person at the scene, who turned out to be a security guard.
Witnesses said Roberson was armed, holding down the gunman responsible for the initial shooting, when a Midlothian police officer shot him outside the bar.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Police shoot security guard that stopped bar shooting

Post by Javelin Man »

No, the hazards of shooting anything that moves without assessing the situation. At least it's hazardous to anybody without a badge and even that's not fool-proof as there are better and better fools out there.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

from the news link:
He had somebody on the ground, with his knee in his back, with his gun on him, like ‘Don’t move,’”
Far left sources like VOX are already jumping to racism. It's possible, IDK, although a white security guard might've also been shot by that officer. None of the news sources I've seen so far describe how the security guard was dressed, if anything on the guards clothing clearly indentified him as security. The sources also don't answer why if there were multiple guards there why wasn't one of the other guards assisting the one that got shot with securing the suspect. If there were it makes the situation look more like a custody situation.

Back in the day when I worked security at a bar, I was in full uniform (including a hat) and armed, but I was primarily outside, only went inside when called to go inside. I was there to guard the lot, and help keep people who were made to leave that night from coming back in. The bouncers (security) wore regular clothes, did not carry firearms and had nothing clearly identifying them as security.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/11/ ... d-illinois" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A black security guard caught a shooting suspect — only to be shot by police minutes later
The death of Jemel Roberson shows that black men aren’t allowed to be the good guy with a gun.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Well, the chief of the Chicago force did make the statement when concealed carry became legal in Illinois that, if his officers saw someone carrying a gun and not wearing a badge, they would shoot him.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

And of course there is a difference in what the state police is alleging what the guard was wearing and whether the cop shouted a warning or not, versus some witness statements. Hopefully there is some video.

https://wgntv.com/2018/11/14/state-poli ... ity-guard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
State police say when that Midlothian officer encountered security guard, Jemel Roberson, Roberson was wearing all black clothing with no markings that readily identifying him as a security guard.

State police went on to say: "According to witness statements, the Midlothian Officer gave the armed subject multiple verbal commands to drop the gun and get on the ground before ultimately discharging his weapon and striking the subject."
Witnesses say Roberson was wearing several items that identified him as security, including a bulletproof vest. Those same witnesses tell WGN they tried to warn officers Roberson was one of the good guys.

Two Midlothian officers were called in as back-up, with one fatally shooting Roberson.

Police have not said if there's police footage, or any other video of this shooting.
In addition, there is a link in this link that claims the guard was wearing a hat that said SECURITY on it.
State police asking for witnesses to come forward with video and information. You can call (847) 294-4400.
YoteHuntr

Post by YoteHuntr »

My opinion, FWIW, is that regardless of what has transpired and who is right or wrong, you DO NOT want to be holding a firearm when law enforcement arrives. Post a look-out to alert you when they are arriving and promptly secure all firearms out of view. Don't be holding anything when they arrive. There's no doubt that the officer in this case was wrong, but the hero is still dead. So sad.
U.S.A.F. Retired (1974-1998)
NRA Endowment Life Member
OFCC Member
USCCA Member
Handloader 34 years
EDC Gun: Ruger LC9s, SR9c and/or LCP

High Power

Post by High Power »

YoteHuntr wrote:My opinion, FWIW, is that regardless of what has transpired and who is right or wrong, you DO NOT want to be holding a firearm when law enforcement arrives. Post a look-out to alert you when they are arriving and promptly secure all firearms out of view. Don't be holding anything when they arrive. There's no doubt that the officer in this case was wrong, but the hero is still dead. So sad.
My gun is like a fire extinguisher. I hope I never have to use. With that said, my biggest fear is not having to confront a bad guy with a gun. It is getting shot by a cop, no matter what I do to avoid it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

YoteHuntr wrote:My opinion, FWIW, is that regardless of what has transpired and who is right or wrong, you DO NOT want to be holding a firearm when law enforcement arrives. Post a look-out to alert you when they are arriving and promptly secure all firearms out of view. Don't be holding anything when they arrive. There's no doubt that the officer in this case was wrong, but the hero is still dead. So sad.

So basically it's better to shoot the person until dead or very incapacitated and walk far away from the scene than hold them at gun point waiting for police.

Everyone remember this case. Everyone remember in the event we need to use our gun to protect ourselves or others to use this as defense in court should we ever need it. I strongly hope we never do.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin